Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had three lessons we learned in one albacore trip on one of those wide open days of tuna fishing.

1. Don't let your fishing buddies drop the little tag ends of their braided line inside the boat.

2. Don't ever assume that the bilge pump will pump out the water sloshing out of the hastily installed bait tank on the rear deck of the boat since you didn't want to do it right and put it on the swim step. I did mention the tuna were wide open right?

3. Don't leave the dock without a manual bilge pump.

I'm sure you all see where this is going. We learned all the answer to all three as soon as I pulled back on the throttle of our 21' Lund deep V at about 25 miles straight out of Morro bay. First thing I noticed was the boat seemed a bit heavy in the ass end as it settled down, must be the bait tank is what I thought. No reason to look back yet as I was focused on some birds up front and scanning for tuna. It was about the time that the 6" of water sloshed over my boots that I decided there might be something other than finding a school of fish that might need attention. After confirming that the bilge and entire rear deck was swamped, I decided the better part of valor was to turn the bait pump off and stop the incoming water flow for now. After the crew got a good workout with the manual bilge pump and got the rear deck to the point that I could access the bilge without scuba gear, I checked the bilge pump and found a nice nest of braided line in the impeller. Pump was fried and the bait was now rolling, but the good news was we were on the tuna grounds and still afloat. We ended up salvaging a decent day of jig fish and managed a few on the baits that survived.

A poorly installed bait tank is never a good idea, braided line kills bilge pumps, and never leave the dock without a secondary way to get water out of your boat...

Comment

"Honey, wait, I'll help you" said my first mate... but what kind of man waits for the Mrs. to stop what she's doing to help....uh huh, so I went forth and conquered removing the 8 hp Merc from the dingy while it's on the boat that's on the trailer. Jeez, I thought in my head, they told me the new Merc's were light weight as I strained to pull it over the aft rail onto the deck. Now to just get it over the starboard rail and onto outer deck and balance while I get on the step ladder... dam this thing is heavy... Ok, got it, now lean motor against shoulder and try to go down step ladder... one rung, two, Uh oh,... crap, not balanced any more...dam this thing is really really really heavy... Don't Drop, don't drop...going to kill myself, can't hold the motor..WTF, DROP THE MOTOR!! New Merc, crashes onto plywood on one side of the ladder, I crash on the other... dam that thing was heavy....wonder if it will still run now..
      Honey, guess what????

Comment

Spending all night cleaning soot, rusty water, mystery oil from the bilge walls.

Month 1, try to start boat, motor frozen, pour mystery oil in cylinders. Month two, remove manifolds, slowly bar motor over until it spins slowly, install plugs, then, " wonder if the starter will turn it over" FORGET TO UNPLUG THE COIL WIRE, OOPS.. Imagine an engine drenched in mystery oil firing up without exhaust manifolds......YEP.
        Last edited by Appella; 06-09-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Weigh2go, I call that the “I got it” syndrome and suffer from it as well.

Appella that sounds like one heck of an event.

Comment

weigh2go
            What’s the rest of the story? Did the Merc ever work again? Did you?
            Last edited by Socal; 06-09-2018, 08:35 PM. Reason: emoji
            The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Socal View Post
              weigh2go
              What’s the rest of the story? Did the Merc ever work again? Did you?
              Don't know, haven't started it yet... but after picking myself up and the motor, noticed a huge dent in the plywood, luckily it hit on the lift handle but then noticed the scrapes on the shiny new Merc cover (bad words), then my attention turned to movement close by, it was the Mrs. standing there with the look of Godzilla about to destroy Tokyo..."is the motor alright?" (I swear blue flame came out)... Maybe, but What about me?..She walked off....

Comment

did a couple of bareboat charters in the Virgin Islands and we all had to write our 10 commandments and present them to the rest of the crew. One of mine was "stay on the boat"...

Comment

When putting thread sealant on a screw... don’t hold it over the can. When you drop the stainless screw it will be fun to fish out!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	2EF43311-5744-4450-A1AC-9AEAA00C846E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	54267

Comment

When installing new headliner... triple check that you routed all necessary wires for the vhf!

Comment

Like the treatment at the edges of the headliner. Welcome to the ‘Big Man’ club. Not afraid to share your occasional ‘whoops’ and even include photos.
                      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Crew selection or take what you get.
                        Molly Brown doesn’t get away from her slip much. so when
                        an old friend offered to buy lunch if I would take him and a friend out for a ride, I was hooked. Old friend is an experienced boater, his friend is from the heartland, so salt water, palm trees and warm sunshine in February was a novelty. Old friend checked oil level in both engines and declared us ready to go. Backed out of the slip and headed out for the ocean. Crew had a couple of adult beverages while I was showing old friend my rear view mirror when he said he saw a boat with flashing blue lights coming up on our stern. We then met two young Coast Guard men who ‘asked’ if they could board for an inspection. We wondered how they chose Molly Brown when my old friend discovered the six fenders still deployed. Real newbies.
                        Moral - Skipper has to check everything ........

Comment

Hee hee. We call that "riding country." I say, "Lines off?" "Fenders up?" Got to get an affirmative before we pull out.

BTW, not long ago I was crewing on a sailboat in the Oakland estuary, when we were hailed and boarded by the Coasties. Very much a pro forma situation, but I was struck by the age of the kids, and I do mean "kids." I swear, the average of the crew must have been 19 or 20. Very polite, but obviously very proud of their side arms. My advice would be do not try to joke with them, even if they're the same age as your grandkids!
                          2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Comment

In 2014 I attempted to enter the Skagit River and find my way around all the sandbars, as you can see I failed miserablly.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by nova7163; 03-05-2019, 03:56 PM.
                            "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Mr. Smee they should to proud of their side arms, When I was in the CG (I will not tell you how long ago) we didn't have side arms when we were out on the boats. We live in a different world now!

Comment

Originally posted by 18ftTrophy View Post
                                Mr. Smee they should to proud of their side arms, When I was in the CG (I will not tell you how long ago) we didn't have side arms when we were out on the boats. We live in a different world now!
                                I know I’m proud of mine, USCG presence or not.
                                -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                                1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                                1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Comment

Working...
                                X