Clear All

• 17 fiberglass stringers?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...073334987.html

Claims fiberglass stringers... true?

Yes...but be careful...
    1978 17' Runabout - AQ120B/270
    1978 23' Cuddy

Comment

I thought the pointy bow meant wood stringers is why I questioned it. So that means there are hulls without the raised/squared bow that are glass stringer? Would you have to drill a stringer to confirm or is there another way besides the squared bow to tell?

Comment

really if the floor is coming up, not much of a deal to do the stringers as well
        1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Look for a hole (perhaps still with the factory black rubber stopper in them) in the stringers in the bilge under the engine just a few inches from the transom. That’s a way to confirm fiberglass stringers.

The stepped bow being an indicator is applicable to the 19s, but I’m not sure it is on the others.

The ad is down now. Anyone snag the picture they can post here?
          -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
          1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
          1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Comment

Ad said it was a 1980, didn't it? Boat also had metal side vents for engine vs top vents. FRPs started for the 17 line first if I’m not mistaken. Started 1977/1978.

Like Binford said - there will be holes and possibly plugs in the stringers adjacent to the engine
            1978 17' Runabout - AQ120B/270
            1978 23' Cuddy

Comment

Originally posted by Binford View Post
              Look for a hole (perhaps still with the factory black rubber stopper in them) in the stringers in the bilge under the engine just a few inches from the transom. That’s a way to confirm fiberglass stringers.

The stepped bow being an indicator is applicable to the 19s, but I’m not sure it is on the others.

The ad is down now. Anyone snag the picture they can post here?
              Got it, that makes sense-look for drain holes in stringers. Sorry I didn’t snag a picture. It had the old style upper hull, I was just under the impression that fiberglass stringers and the squared upper hull at the rub rail by the bow were synonymous-apparently not so!

While I would like a smaller open outboard what I’d really like is a z top Cuddy with a blue or green hull- maybe one with the old pointed bow and glass stringers now that I realize that’s a thing!

Either that or a 5.5m-never actually seen one other than in the catalogs though.

Comment

Mike, it was definitely a glass stringers boat. 1980. I have the same vintage boat at my shop right now. The 17’s don’t have as tall of a rise in the topside as the 19, but if you put a 1976 model next to the 1977 you would see the difference in the topside.
                Glas-Hawk
                Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
                1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
                1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

Previous Affairs
                1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
                1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
                1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
                1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc http://www.glasply.org/vb4/core/images/smilies/cool.png
                1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
                2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

Thanks for the schooling.

Comment

Working...
                  X