Crab Splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crab Splitter

I am in the concept stages, I am sure many people have done something similar. I normally use a edge of a 6x6 for separating. Thoughts???

Used basically the same thing, loved it, but didn't need to make the "blade" triangular shaped, worked good at maybe 1/8-1/4" SS top and bottom. But, self corrective when the first blade wasn't tall enough above the board, knuckle buster. I'm thinking 5" might be high enough? Also attached a rope so I could hang it on or over stuff.

Comment

I like the rope idea. I want the top edge to be radiused as there seems to be adult beverages involved at that time of day.

A friend said they used to clamp a double bladed ax to a table.

I started the design with 4" and one of the friends suggested 5" and I agreed.

Comment

Will this be on the boat or on land?

JMO

I would opt for SS or regular steel. I made a few out of flat bar I had left over from a job - ground the top to usable edge, worked great

A 4x10 is a serious chunk of wood to lug around. I made a makeshift one for a friend minutes before he was taking the Scouts out and used a 2x6 with flat bar and it worked fine for kids and a first timer. I find dimensional lumber too bulky - The retail ones made from Corian (or whatever the material is) have a pretty small base.

What about cutting board for the base?
        1978 17' Runabout - AQ120B/270
        1978 23' Cuddy

Comment

I think I will change the "blade" to a pc os 1/4" 6" X 10" plate with the radiuses edge up and grinding the upper corners to be rounded. So I would cut a 1/4" X 1" deep slot for the plate in the wood. This will be used at home. I keep the crab in the cooler with ice when they are picked from the pots and are still lively when I get home.

I set on my mechanics stool cleaning Crab with the cooker pot basket, bucket for shells and guts, bucket with water for rinsing, splitter and cooler around me. Oh yea and an adult beverage!

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
            I set on my mechanics stool cleaning Crab with the cooker pot basket, bucket for shells and guts, bucket with water for rinsing, splitter and cooler around me. Oh yea and an adult beverage!
            First off I like your crab splitter idea, Building one for the boat now, will lay mine in my fish cleaning table. Second off I like the single piece of plate better then the triangle method and finally I really love the fact you drink your ¨adult beverage¨ the same way I do, straight up on the rocks.
            "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill V View Post

First off I like your crab splitter idea, Building one for the boat now, will lay mine in my fish cleaning table. Second off I like the single piece of plate better then the triangle method and finally I really love the fact you drink your ¨adult beverage¨ the same way I do, straight up on the rocks.
              RIGHT ON!!!

I love Crabbing!! Hoping to try out Shrimping this year.

Comment

I love eating crab, with a beer.
                1980 Glasply 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT
                1975 Glasply 19.5' Cuddy Merc 488 190 hp
                1997 Campion 525 Open Bow Ski Merc 125 hp outboard
                14' Inflatable sailboat
                16' Colman Fastback canoe

Comment

What is the logic behind the splitter? Just hold the crab right-side up and smash him over the splitter set up front to back?

I’ve always just bashed their foreheads on a cinderblock (at home) or a cleat (on the float), which knocks the top shell off, then I fold the crab down then up and pull them apart, fling the guts offs, pluck the gills, rinse and repeat. It seems this splitter would result in a similar result, but not sure I got the concept right.
                  -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                  1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                  1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Comment

Tim,

https://youtu.be/R6SQIZQhH1A

1978 17' Runabout - AQ120B/270
                    1978 23' Cuddy

Comment

We cook our crabs whole. In a pot above water line so they steam not boil. We also cook them upside down to keep all that good flavor inside. Never have understood why people want boiled cleaned crab, makes it watery.

Comment

Originally posted by GmanHawaii View Post
                        We cook our crabs whole. In a pot above water line so they steam not boil. We also cook them upside down to keep all that good flavor inside. Never have understood why people want boiled cleaned crab, makes it watery.
                        They are only watery if they are soft shelled. Nice to have options!

The way I look at it is they are bottom feeders and I really don't want to add "STUFF" to my food.

I mean look at that "STUFF".

Comment

Kaiser, that's a great video and splitter. I've had the crab cooked both ways. There all good. The thing about cleaning before steaming is you can get more in the steamer pot. I think at the Rendezvous with everyone's crabs we got 40 cleaned crab in the steamer. I could hardly lift the basket into the steamer. That was awesome and they we so good. Looking forward to this years Rendezvous adventure.
                          Boat=Bust out another thousand
                          1973 19' Glasply HT 140 Mercruiser- procrastinating ongoing rebuild
                          1985 2200 Glasply HT Marauder 5 L

Comment

Not a bad way to clean them! A lot less messy than my method of knocking the top shell off. Thanks!

I never cook mine whole because of the unwanted ook, but I do prefer steaming to boiling. Even a fully-filled hard shell crab will often get water in the shell. Never an issue when you steam them.
                            -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                            1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                            1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Comment

Crab facing away from me I grab 4 legs on each side, I then align the center of the Crab over the edge of the Crab Splitter and give it a forceful downward whack! I then turn it on it's back facing me and rotate one side toward me tearing the leg and body meat from shell. I then do the same with the other side. I pick off lungs and stuff then slosh in clean water then throw in cooker basket.

I put all the shells and stuff along with the cracked shells in a bucket that goes into the freezer. I put it the boat when I am ready to head out next time and dump in the Sound.

Seal a Meal the Crab in 7 oz packets. I load the meat first into a ziplock bag then into Seal a Meal bag. Keeps the bag clean and have no failures when sealing.

Pictured was previous season then I only used ziplock bags. I am still eating Crab from last season and making excellent Crab Omelets.

Comment

Working...
                              X