Vancouver Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver Island

I leave Anacortes on June 10 to head north and circumnavigate Vancouver Island on a 30 day trip. Will head north till I reach Port Hardy and then around the top past Cape Scott and fish my way home down the west side. Should be home by July 10 or so. Circumnavigating Vancouver Island is one of the quintessential Pacific Northwest cruises. Known for its raw beauty, powerful surf, wildlife and remoteness, the West Coast of Vancouver Island is an exceptional cruising area.
    Last edited by Bill V; 01-13-2020, 10:07 PM.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

How much fuel do you guesstimate it will take? Not that it matters.
    Boat=Bust out another thousand
    1973 19' Glasply HT 140 Mercruiser- procrastinating ongoing rebuild
    1985 2200 Glasply HT Marauder 5 L

Comment

That sounds like a great trip, Bill! The Mrs. coming along?
      -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
      1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
      1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

The wife will not be going, too scared to try it around Cape Scott and down the west side. I calculate 800 miles and with much of it on auto pilot at slow cruise of 7mph about 500 gallons but I leave home with 200 gallons onboard and will need to purchase 300 gallons.
        Last edited by Bill V; 01-13-2020, 10:09 PM.
        "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Wow,sounds like an awesome trip! I'm curious about your fuel management. Where can you put 300 gallons?

Comment

Sounds like a cool trip and something I want to do at some point along with heading up to Alaska.
            1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
            1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
            8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
              Wow,sounds like an awesome trip! I'm curious about your fuel management. Where can you put 300 gallons?
              I carry 200 gallons in 4 tanks, 2 x 75gals & 2 x 25gals. I will purchase fuel at a marina enroute. Probably top off in Campbell River (80 gals), Port Hardy (70 gals) Winter Harbor (80 gals) & Ucluelet (70 gals).
              Last edited by Bill V; 01-16-2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nova7163 View Post
                Sounds like a cool trip and something I want to do at some point along with heading up to Alaska.
                At 73 I need to do this now or never. If this trip goes well then Ketchikan in 2021.

Comment

Working...
                X