Vancouver Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver Island

I leave Anacortes on June 10 to head north and circumnavigate Vancouver Island on a 30 day trip. Will head north till I reach Port Hardy and then around the top past Cape Scott and fish my way home down the west side. Should be home by July 10 or so. Circumnavigating Vancouver Island is one of the quintessential Pacific Northwest cruises. Known for its raw beauty, powerful surf, wildlife and remoteness, the West Coast of Vancouver Island is an exceptional cruising area.
    Last edited by Bill V; 01-13-2020, 10:07 PM.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

How much fuel do you guesstimate it will take? Not that it matters.
    Boat=Bust out another thousand
    1973 19' Glasply HT 140 Mercruiser- procrastinating ongoing rebuild
    1985 2200 Glasply HT Marauder 5 L

Comment

That sounds like a great trip, Bill! The Mrs. coming along?
      -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
      1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
      1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Comment

The wife will not be going, too scared to try it around Cape Scott and down the west side. I calculate 800 miles and with much of it on auto pilot at slow cruise of 7mph about 500 gallons but I leave home with 200 gallons onboard and will need to purchase 300 gallons.
        Last edited by Bill V; 01-13-2020, 10:09 PM.
        "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Wow,sounds like an awesome trip! I'm curious about your fuel management. Where can you put 300 gallons?

Comment

Sounds like a cool trip and something I want to do at some point along with heading up to Alaska.
            1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
            1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
            8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
              Wow,sounds like an awesome trip! I'm curious about your fuel management. Where can you put 300 gallons?
              I carry 200 gallons in 4 tanks, 2 x 75gals & 2 x 25gals. I will purchase fuel at a marina enroute. Probably top off in Campbell River (80 gals), Port Hardy (70 gals) Winter Harbor (80 gals) & Ucluelet (70 gals).
              Last edited by Bill V; 01-16-2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nova7163 View Post
                Sounds like a cool trip and something I want to do at some point along with heading up to Alaska.
                At 73 I need to do this now or never. If this trip goes well then Ketchikan in 2021.

Comment

Damn Bill, thanks for turning up the jealously volume, sheesh. Sounds like an epic trip for sure.
                  I hope I have as much energy as you when I hit my 70s, You and Pete Carroll give me hope for my next 20 years.

Comment

About a year ago I ran across this website called http://slowboat.com/ and I attended a couple of their seminars in Seattle. It perked my interest to do the trips they do. I will use a 30day window and slow cruise on auto pilot 800 miles. Load up on salmon for the freezer and if all goes well on this trip I might consider Ketchikan in 2021.

Comment

That should be an awesome trip at that time of year. I have done the run from Port Angeles to Ketchikan a handful of times in a 26 uniflite salty dog. A friend used to run his fishing fleet up every year to set up a fish camp in SE Alaska. You should run through some fishy water at that time of year. Dodd narrows and Seymour narrows can get interesting if you don't go through them at slack tide. I was always amazed at the amount of timber free floating in the water. Really wakes you up when you see a half submerged 50' log sliding past a little too close for comfort. We always ran at 7.5kts mostly to conserve fuel but also to watch for floating logs.

I'm sure you will have a great trip. It's really some amazing country you will be traveling through. Maybe you could keep us updated on your adventure along the way from various ports. Definitely a bucket list trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer B's View Post
                        That should be an awesome trip at that time of year. I have done the run from Port Angeles to Ketchikan a handful of times in a 26 uniflite salty dog. A friend used to run his fishing fleet up every year to set up a fish camp in SE Alaska. You should run through some fishy water at that time of year. Dodd narrows and Seymour narrows can get interesting if you don't go through them at slack tide. I was always amazed at the amount of timber free floating in the water. Really wakes you up when you see a half submerged 50' log sliding past a little too close for comfort. We always ran at 7.5kts mostly to conserve fuel but also to watch for floating logs.

I'm sure you will have a great trip. It's really some amazing country you will be traveling through. Maybe you could keep us updated on your adventure along the way from various ports. Definitely a bucket list trip!
                        I have run with a 28 Salty Dog from Bellingham on two trips to Ucluelet and if I did not already own a GP 28 I would want the Salty Dog for a fishing boat. One of the greatest boats ever built IMHO. Having installed an auto pilot on my boat I will spend much of my time in the 7-8 knot range primarily for fuel economy. Good idea about posting from various ports while on the trip, will do my best to do that with pics too.

Comment

Bill that trip sounds awesome. Someday...

There's a salty dog sitting on a trailer in downtown Port Orchard that I admire the lines on every time I pass it. My wife likes our long cabin better, probably a good thing. That boat is one of a handful I wouldn't mind adopting.

Comment

The Salty Dog 28 was built along the lines of a Bertram and has a hull design for speed in rough seas. They make awesome fishing boats with the helm on the port side of the cockpit deck. Straight drive twin engines puts the weight more forward for a better balance then V-drives. Cabin is smaller then a midcabin GP 28 but adequate for overnights or day cruises. The last time I went to Ucluelet the Salt Dog went with me and we cruised mid to high 20ś and he burnt about 15 gallons less fuel then I did. His boat has 2012 Crusader 350/330hp MPI engines and tops out about 38mph. Is that Salty Dog in Port Orchard for sale?

Comment

It is... I forget the name of the place but it's a brokerage right next to the downtown boat launch, the boat has been there for quite a while. Don't force me to go look at it closer! ha

On your balance comment, do you have any experience with shifting weight in your boat forward? I haven't done any back to back testing, but I definitely have a suspicion that our 28's do better with more weight balanced forward than what they came configured from the factory with. Specifically talking about shifting stuff that's already there, not adding more weight.
                              Last edited by theremikegoes; 01-28-2020, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X