No announcement yet.

Vancouver Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will save you a trip Mike. She is even diesel-powered.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...oys&&ywo=poys&
    1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
    1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
    8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

That’s the one...

Comment

That will be for sale a long time, at that price and being a single engine. Never understood why someone would buy a single engine boat in a hull designed for speed. It is like buying a Corvette with a 4 banger.
        "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

I carry 200 gallons in 4 tanks, 2 x 75gals & 2 x 25gals.

Bill, we have the same engine room space. I've got the two 75 gals, but where have you managed to fit in two 25 gals? Up forward, under the cabin floor?
          2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Smee View Post
            [I]
            Bill, we have the same engine room space. I've got the two 75 gals, but where have you managed to fit in two 25 gals? Up forward, under the cabin floor?
            Pretty easy actually. When I found out Socals long cabin V drive model had 75 gallon saddle tanks I thought of installing a pair of those in my boat but decided the additional weight was too much. Would have given me 300 gallon capacity. I instead installed a pair of Mueller 25gal saddle tanks. See http://www.glasply.org/forum/technic...ing-fuel-tanks I use electric fuel pumps to pump the fuel into the main tanks. As a side note, NEVER consider installing fuel tanks in a cabin ANYWHERE.
            Last edited by Bill V; 01-31-2020, 06:09 PM.
            "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Firstly glad to see the site back up. ...

what a trip, Bill. I want to do the same trip some day. Need to find a 28 of my own. A 23 could do it .. but far more comfortable on a 28 in all ways ...well maybe except fuel consumption.

if you figure you'll be around Brooks and down to Nootka Island some time end of June , there is fuel at Esperanza (north end of Nootka isl) as well as a few fuel stops in nootka sound including critter cove marina (google it).

I will most likely be out in that area around that time ... Perhaps see how the schedule goes ..

Comment

Originally posted by aarinbc View Post
                Need to find a 28 of my own. A 23 could do it .. but far more comfortable on a 28 in all ways ...well maybe except fuel consumption.

if you figure you'll be around Brooks and down to Nootka Island some time end of June , there is fuel at Esperanza (north end of Nootka isl) as well as a few fuel stops in nootka sound including critter cove marina (google it).

I will most likely be out in that area around that time ... Perhaps see how the schedule goes ..

A 23 would be minimum size to do the trip. I know of a single engine 454 26 Tolly that did the trip about 8 years ago that got me to thinking. Biggest issue with a 23 is most do not have a marine head onboard that you can pump overboard. Not many pumpouts on west side. Water supply could be an issue too. I carry 65 gals of water + plus 12 1 gal commercial spring water jugs for my coffee/tea water. Tank water is for washing & head flush. I will carry a crab and shrimp pot, salmon and halibut gear, 2 down riggers and crab/shrimp pot puller, plus a fair quantity of spare parts/tools. I am still considering my shore tie reel that I built and used on two cruises to Desolation Sound. Have installed a 12/120v freezer and 3800 watt generator. Giving some strong consideration to solar panels installed to extend house battery life. My cockpit BBQ will remain onboard as well, As you can tell boat is pretty well loaded not much room left over. Much of this would not be needed on a 23 but makes life comfortable on a 28.

Comment

They make some pretty slick rollable solar panels now, or are you looking at permanently mounting?

Somewhat related- I know you said you put a bigger alternator on, is it the type that puts out ~80% amps at idle? I recently found out that was an option-sounds like the car stereo crowd uses them. I like the idea of running an engine for 20 minutes to heat up a shower and top off the house battery.

What did you use to build your shore power reel?

Comment

Mike, if you are meaning my shore tie reel rather then shore power reel I had a friend build me an aluminum reel that carries about 600' of 3/8¨ polypropylene line. Usually mounts to my upper deck handrail directly aft of port helm seat.

My port engine carries a 120 amp alternator, largest size available in that size frame. That frame size comes in 65, 90 and 120 amp. My starboard engine now carries a 90 amp alternator and my spare is a 65 amp, I also carry mini starters for both engines.

I am planning on using 3 of the new flexible solar panels if I can come up with a mounting system compatible with my boat. Would like to replace my radar mast with a folding radar arch like Carl has on Weigh2Go to have a perminate mounting location for panels.
                    Last edited by Bill V; 02-19-2020, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Ha, yes... shore tie.

Regarding the alternator-I have 100a on each engine but they only put out 30a each @1500 rpm, sounds like they can be wound to put out 80a+ each at 750 rpm. My line of thinking is that this would be a little closer to having a generator? Maybe yours already put out better idle amps and mine are just a poor spec.

Comment

When I converted both engines to dual V belts on alternator and water pump I used the smallest alternator pully and largest crankshaft pully for a higher charge rate. My 120 amp puts out about 60-70 amps at 1500 and max amps at 28-2900.

Comment

With the border all but closed to Americans going north I am concerned my Vancouver Island trip in June may not happen. It seems that only travlers with ¨essential" business are permitted passage.

Comment

Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post
                            On your balance comment, do you have any experience with shifting weight in your boat forward? I haven't done any back to back testing, but I definitely have a suspicion that our 28's do better with more weight balanced forward than what they came configured from the factory with. Specifically talking about shifting stuff that's already there, not adding more weight.
                            When I gutted my interior and rebuilt it to permit more storage and build a more friendly galley I know I made the front of the boat heavier due to having to raise the ¨wet line¨ on my bottom paint in the front. I carry all my spare parts in a drawer I installed on centerline under the V berth, about 200# worth. My anchor rode is 50ft BBB 1/4¨ chain and almost 300ft 1/2¨ 8 plait line for a little increase in weight. I also installed an anchor windlass for a little more with an oversized anchor too. I have an Engel freezer on the helm deck and my 3800watt generator is on starboard side where formally was a 3rd helm seat. Mounted it there due to weight balance considerations as boat would list to port side.

Comment

That’s a bummer Bill, hopefully things clear up in time for your trip.

I’m guessing you had too many changes and too much time in between but do you have any idea if your weight changes affected trim on plane or notice any handling differences? -only way I can think of to measure that would be comparing how much down trim tab until it starts to bow steer?

There’s got to be an “ideal” balance point for our boats, I doubt anyone knows the answer but it would be amazing to have a target balance point. Only way I can think of to find it(unless someone is really good at fancy maths) is to shift(not just add) weight forward until it starts to bow steer and then dial it back.

Also... 3800kw genset?! No half measures there, ha.

Comment

Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post
                                I’m guessing you had too many changes and too much time in between but do you have any idea if your weight changes affected trim on plane or notice any handling differences? -only way I can think of to measure that would be comparing how much down trim tab until it starts to bow steer?

There’s got to be an “ideal” balance point for our boats, I doubt anyone knows the answer but it would be amazing to have a target balance point. Only way I can think of to find it(unless someone is really good at fancy maths) is to shift(not just add) weight forward until it starts to bow steer and then dial it back.

Also... 3800kw genset?! No half measures there, ha.
                                Keep in mind I changed out my trim tabs years ago to 12¨ x 30¨ units. So presently I use only a little trim down to put the bow where I want it on fast cruise and virtually none on slow cruise. I also carry 65 gals of water all on centerline under cabin floor as farward as the bulkhead allows me.

I wanted a full 30mps of service available and the difference in size was not much after you look at 2400 -3800 watt units. Noise was another consideration, electric start and price too.

Comment

Working...
                                X