No announcement yet.

Vancouver Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just meant trim tab amount as a comparison since with more weight forward you’d have less tab down until it starts to bow steer at a given speed. On mine it seems to run best at about 15% tab, any more than that and I can see the mpg go down(gph increase/speed drop). At about 50% down mine starts to bow steer in the mid 20’s mph. Faster and it will tolerate less and less tab before it bow steers.

On your bigger tabs, I think the older gp’s came with smaller tabs than the 80’s ones? I vaguely remember Wally asking some questions and it came out that his tabs are on the small side?

Comment

Bill and Mike,
      The Trim-tab info would be terrific to find out. Because my boat is powered with the lower HP Diesels, trim tabs play an important role in getting mine to plane well. My tabs are what I think are too small. I believe they are 9x18 or so. I have to set them all the way down to help get and stay on a plane. Seems like I get on a nice plane at about 2,800 - 3,000 RPM, with tabs fully down. 14-16 Knots. I believe larger tabs would help me a bit. Bill, did you install the larger tabs? If so, did it help in the overall performance?

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
        Bill and Mike,
        The Trim-tab info would be terrific to find out. Because my boat is powered with the lower HP Diesels, trim tabs play an important role in getting mine to plane well. My tabs are what I think are too small. I believe they are 9x18 or so. I have to set them all the way down to help get and stay on a plane. Seems like I get on a nice plane at about 2,800 - 3,000 RPM, with tabs fully down. 14-16 Knots. I believe larger tabs would help me a bit. Bill, did you install the larger tabs? If so, did it help in the overall performance?
        My tabs originally were 9¨x 24¨ and I replaced them with 12´x 30¨. I now require less ¨down¨ angle to accomplish the same required lift. Was pretty easy to change out but it is a two person job as the bolts have nuts on inside of transom.
        Last edited by Bill V; 03-23-2020, 05:10 PM. Reason: Checked my notes and corrected original size from 9x28ś to 9x24ś.
        "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Bill,
          Thanks.
          Did you do your change out of the tabs while the boat was dry or wet?
          Also, what brand, and if you have it, what model of tabs?
          Tks,
          Wally

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
            Bill,
            Thanks.
            Did you do your change out of the tabs while the boat was dry or wet?
            Also, what brand, and if you have it, what model of tabs?
            Tks,
            Wally
            Bennett TPA3012. Changed them while boat on trailer parked in my shop. I also trashed the joy stick control switch and installed the tried and proven Euro-Style Rocker Switch.

"Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Thank you Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by nova7163 View Post
                This will save you a trip Mike. She is even diesel-powered.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...oys&&ywo=poys&
                Always liked Uniflites myself, if ones considering a 28... why not a 32 or a 40....?
                1982 2580 "HI-BOY " IN 2 DEEP 5.7LX ALPHA

Comment

Nothing wrong with any of the Uniflites. I have a particular fondness for Uniflites from working on them and occasional trips up the Mekong Delta while stationed in SE Asia. The Salty Dog 28 is one of the best designed 28 foot hulls ever built. I personally believe they are superior to the 28 GP in hull design especially in rough water at speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post

Always liked Uniflites myself, if ones considering a 28... why not a 32 or a 40....?
                    I recognize that marina! ha. That's a fantastic boat, and I'd love to have it. I'm a huge fan of that style and that one looks nicely modified. Moorage and upkeep has a sweet spot at the 28' mark for me though, and our 28's have a unique blend of cabin size to trailerability. I like the option to be able to pull it out of the water whenever I want(even though I haven't since splashing it!).

Comment

Derailing Bills thread here, but sounds like it may not happen this year.. i hear there are Tuna to catch on the sw corner. Thinking a bigger boat may be in our future, so I can't keep myself from looking. That uniflite would be a fuel hog and need to be repowered if one was gonna use it very much. That could be 30-50K pretty quick even if one did most of the work himself.... as much as i like planning hulls, i think I should be thinking trawler
                      1982 2580 "HI-BOY " IN 2 DEEP 5.7LX ALPHA

Comment

Just a thought for some wanting to make their 28's trawlers, auto-pilots, comfort, etc. I'm Smiling actually. A Canadian couple who are dear friends, eventually traded their 28' GP off ( and believe me that boat got used) for a 37' Tolly with twin Cummins. (huge aft deck, cozy and very roomy interior) They tow a 17' whaler, totally set up for fishing/crabbing/prawning (I've fished out of it & I'm not a fisherman per say, but it works great) They can run at trawler speeds, excellent fuel mileage, or if needed speed up to 15-18 knots (which they like to do). They told me during some rough weather lately, their travelling buddies in much larger boats had to slow down while the Tolly took the waves with leisure. They do say, however, that their 28' had more storage... Just a side thought on Bills thread..

Comment

I think I know that couple well myself, was not their boat the Que Pasa? We ran into them once some years back while we were tied up at Montague Harbour. Darrel offered to take me fishing in the morning in his Whaler near Active Pass for Sockeye Salmon. I learned a lot about catching Sockeye that I never knew. Was not long and we had two nice sockeye for dinner. You are right Carl, they used that 28 GP a bunch. Glad to hear they bought a 37' Tolly, fine boat and a great hull design for PNW waters.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill V View Post
                            I think I know that couple well myself, was not their boat the Que Pasa? We ran into them once some years back while we were tied up at Montague Harbour. Darrel offered to take me fishing in the morning in his Whaler near Active Pass for Sockeye Salmon. I learned a lot about catching Sockeye that I never knew. Was not long and we had two nice sockeye for dinner. You are right Carl, they used that 28 GP a bunch. Glad to hear they bought a 37' Tolly, fine boat and a great hull design for PNW waters.
                            Yes, spot on, that's them. Consider them family to this day. Daryl is a hardcore fisherman, more than me for sure and I have many a "fish tale" on Daryl.... But, he seemed to finally found a great setup for his extensive cruising in those waters... We were potentially going to get together this summer... apparently that's not happening at this point...

Comment

Originally posted by weigh2go View Post
                              We were potentially going to get together this summer... apparently that's not happening at this point...
                              I feel your pain Carl, originally planned to start my trip around VI June 11 but I can delay it until June 30 if I have to. Planning 30 days and intend on fishing Ucluelet Aug 7 thru 15 with 3 SILś flying in for it. This summer was all planned out but now what?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill V View Post

I feel your pain Carl, originally planned to start my trip around VI June 11 but I can delay it until June 30 if I have to. Planning 30 days and intend on fishing Ucluelet Aug 7 thru 15 with 3 SILś flying in for it. This summer was all planned out but now what?
                                Well, forces me to get on my boat projects now...and I have a large list. (been procrastinating over winter) so parts are on their way..lol. You may pull off your trip yet, hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                                X