Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vancouver Island

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by weigh2go View Post

    Well, forces me to get on my boat projects now...and I have a large list. (been procrastinating over winter) so parts are on their way..lol. You may pull off your trip yet, hopefully!
    I started on my projects first week of January, R&R cabin windows. Was planning on buying new but after I went to Vancouver, WA to look at fellow forum member Diversifiedīs boat with new windows I decided to take his old windows and between mine and his rebuilt a set for my cabin. Finished installing all new felt on cabin walls and remodeled bathroom as well with new SS sink, new formica countertop, felt on walls and all trim. My plan is to splash it May 1st if boat yard is open then. Planning on being ready to cross the border in June if it opens.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

    Comment


    • #47
      At the risk of another thread derail... pictures of new interior?

      Also, did you buy new materials for rebuilding your windows? If so, where did you buy from and what part number gasket for bedding glass to the frame? and any other parts you found for this!

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post
        At the risk of another thread derail... pictures of new interior?

        Also, did you buy new materials for rebuilding your windows? If so, where did you buy from and what part number gasket for bedding glass to the frame? and any other parts you found for this!
        The rubber felt that I used for the sliding glass I found on Amazon, it was CRL Flexible Flocked Rubber Glass Run Channel for 1963-1966 Valiant and Dart - 96 in long. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

        I bought my butyl sealant tape from Amazon as well. Between my windows and Diversifiedīs that I picked up in Vancouver I had enough of the stationary window rubbers to reuse them. You will need a good pop rivet gun and pop rivets to reassemble everything. Will get you pics of everything soon.
        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08398DP4Q...il_aax_0?psc=1

        It is a lot of work to clean all the old glue from the original felt channels that were used and requires some wire wheels I used in my various air tools. The saving grace is the money you save. Diversified had tinted glass and I reused his to save the $450 costs of having mine tinted. All together I have about $300 invested to rebuild the windows.
        Last edited by Bill V; 04-01-2020, 08:17 AM.
        "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

        Comment


        • #49
          I trimmed off the shot black weatherstripping in the inside and then masked off to create a 1/4" beveled area for the caulk to be tooled. Pumped the area full then tooled off with finger and immediately removed the tape. Looks VERY professional. I have taken several waves over the bow along with washing the boat with ZERO water intrusion.

          The caulking is VERY high quality with excellent adhesion and tooling.



          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
            I trimmed off the shot black weatherstripping in the inside and then masked off to create a 1/4" beveled area for the caulk to be tooled. Pumped the area full then tooled off with finger and immediately removed the tape. Looks VERY professional. I have taken several waves over the bow along with washing the boat with ZERO water intrusion.

            The caulking is VERY high quality with excellent adhesion and tooling.



            Appreciate the input but all 28 GP cabin windows are sealed from the outside underneath the window outside flanges to avoid water getting to cabin wood in the walls.
            "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Bill V View Post

              The rubber felt that I used for the sliding glass I found on Amazon, it was CRL Flexible Flocked Rubber Glass Run Channel for 1963-1966 Valiant and Dart - 96 in long. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

              I bought my butyl sealant tape from Amazon as well. Between my windows and Diversifiedīs that I picked up in Vancouver I had enough of the stationary window rubbers to reuse them. You will need a good pop rivet gun and pop rivets to reassemble everything. Will get you pics of everything soon.
              https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08398DP4Q...il_aax_0?psc=1

              It is a lot of work to clean all the old glue from the original felt channels that were used and requires some wire wheels I used in my various air tools. The saving grace is the money you save. Diversified had tinted glass and I reused his to save the $450 costs of having mine tinted. All together I have about $300 invested to rebuild the windows.
              That's a bummer yours were glued in! Mine were surprisingly easy to remove and only needed a quick wipe down of the frame. I replaced my felts already, I was just hoping you found the glass bedding seals. Mine have gotten too much sun, and if I refurb frames I'd like to replace all the rubber with new. Could probably cut it back and use Cummins12V98 method to seal the outside, but taping all the curves and keeping it clean would be pretty tough.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post
                At the risk of another thread derail... pictures of new interior?
                Can not wait to install windows.

                Attached Files
                "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Use a narrow QUALITY tape on corners first then stagger with wider. I really like FROG tape.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Just got a text from a friend jn Sooke, BC. It was reported on CTV News that ferry service is Ļessential serviceĻ only until June 30. All cruise ships and personal watercraft can not enter Canada until October 30th. Sure hope this is not true.
                    "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Wow... that’s pretty stringent for how far out that is

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Yeah, that’s probably going too far out to be accurate. Any other COVID response issue is pretty much to the next month or two. An official declaration about something that important to their marina economy made now effective through October is highly unlikely, me thinks....
                        -- Tim Taylor

                        1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                        1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                        1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)


                        I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Yea, I kind of thought that too. Seems setting something 6 months out is overkill. Still my June departure sure is not looking real good.
                          "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            This is crappy, was looking forward to getting out there after Great Lakes tour and possibly hooking up on the North side of the Island before going to Rivers Inlet. I guess there is nothing to do but wait and see what happens.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	92188708_1478496492332820_4801882907054440448_n.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	66683 This is what the inside straight will look like
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Water Baby; 04-06-2020, 07:17 AM.
                            1980 Glasply 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT
                            1975 Glasply 19.5' Cuddy Merc 488 190 hp
                            1997 Campion 525 Open Bow Ski Merc 125 hp outboard
                            14' Inflatable sailboat
                            16' Colman Fastback canoe

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X