1977 19' cuddy that needs a little help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 19' cuddy that needs a little help

Hi Guys. I have visited this site and the earlier one often but never posted. Even been to a couple of Rendezvous but not the last couple. Itís quite a site with lots of Glasply keeners, that is great. I have always wanted a 19í and have had this boat since 1996, maybe put 20hrs or so on it!? I just had too many projects. Socal - Its GPL 19400M77J with the 3.7l in it (no power-steering)with unknown hours. Itís a ďbitĒ of a project, although clean and always stored under cover. The original motor is not great so I picked-up a 1985, 3.7, 190 hp package, 4 barrel with power steering, complete, except for the leg, with 1200hrs on it. It was taken out of a 24' Monaro and a 4.3l Volvo installed. Not a bad idea eh? Anyhow, the plan is to rebuild it as a long block ie keep the 2 barrel carb etc off the original motor, and install it this winter?! I want to add the external alternator (Hun-Finn?)and electronic ignition(Pertronix), that seems to be the best way to go from everything I have learned. Not sure about the stringers and transom, have to check those out, the floor seems stiff, but you never know. Can you tell by the GPL # what type of stringers it has? If you know of good sources for 3.7 parts for the rebuild that would be great ie bearings, gasket kits etc,etc. Can anyone confirm that I would still be able to close the engine cover with a top mounted, non power-steering mounted, Hun-Finn alternator? The regulator tucks in nicely to the engine so it should. My wife and I dropped by Paulís house in Marysville a couple of years ago and toured his shop. It was quite an experience and he is a very interesting guy. Yes I know I have to get some pictures up of the boat even if itís in the garage! Itís the same model, colour and year as the couple who toured Alaska with theirs and just sold the boat last month or so with everything, including the kitchen sink included. Does anyone have a brochure on this boat? How big would the fuel tank be? I need to look at that too.
    Any thoughts,comments appreciated. THX

Welcome aboard, R&M!

As the principal cynic here of the Mercruiser 470, I will admit that if you built it anew, and install a marine alternator, it really isn't too bad an engine for the 19. Make sure also that the heat exchanger is cleaned out well so you won't have overheating issues (the 470 is sensitive to overheating, that is much above 160ļF, because of the cast iron head mated to an aluminum block, each with their own expansion & contraction rates), or bonus would be the 4" heat exchanger upgrade (though I've had 2 different stock 3" heat exchangers in mine and never have had any overheating problems at all). The cam-driven water pump (for the closed system coolant) would be new, so that would last you decades. It wouldn't be too bad. Not sure of a parts source for rebuilding one, though I'm sure the parts are available.

You might have just lucked out with composite stringers. If I remember correctly, 1977 was the year the smaller models, such as the 19, started with composite stringers. What does your front deck look like? From the very front of the bow, does the deck slope up gently, or is there a pronounced step up? If the latter, it would likely have composite stringers.

The brochures would cover all the models Glasply offered for the given year. The 1977 brochure might be one of the ones someone has scanned. I'm sure someone will pipe up if they have one they can send you.

My fuel tank is 50 gallons. If you pull the center panel of the floor up you will be able to determine yours. Either from the label if its still legible, or with a tape measure. It's pretty easy to pull that panel up. Just a bunch of screws to pull. (And be sure to put a dab of 3M 4200 [NOT 5200!] on each hole when you reinstall it to keep moisture from penetrating the sole.)

I'm not familiar with the Hun-Finn alternator, so I'm not sure if you might have doghouse clearance issues.

Sounds like quite a project! We'll wait very patiently for some pictures....
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Comment

Binford

this links 4U http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCRUISER-4...item3a965bfe97 And others that own a 470
      Last edited by username; 08-31-2014, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Ahhh.... Thanks. Yeah, I'm sure that would fit fine.

Mine's on a custom-fabbed bracket to the port side and I had to trim off some of the insulation on the inside of the doghouse to get it to fit without rubbing.
        -- Tim Taylor

Comment

R&M
          Welcome back to the forum. Thanks for the HIN, I will put you in the registry. GlasPly converted to FRG stringers in different hulls and at different times. So no clear answer on your boat. With a production number of 400 it may have the new stringers. I see Hun-Finn is an e-bay seller, is that also the mfg. of the alternator unit? Whether the alternator modification will fit or not will require some measurements or a response from a member with the same set up. If you lift the cockpit transom cover you should be able to see how much clearance you have now with the doghouse down.

GlasPly advertised six 19' models in the 1977 brochure, an OB and I/O cuddy and four open models. Centerline length was 19' 2", beam 7' 8". The i/0 cuddy model weighed 1890 lbs with a 140 MC. That's dry weight and doesn't include all the gear we tend to load on. Fuel capacity was 27 gal. with a 12 gal. saddle tank as an option. Fuel tanks tend to fail over the years and you may have a larger one installed.

Send me a PM and I can scan and e-mail you some pages from the 1977 brochure.
          The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Binford re the rise on the front deck. Mine has the taller more vertical rise and with the "400" HIN maybe just maybe I have the fiber stringers. That would be great. Do you have the motor type in your database as well as the HIN, Socal? I wondering how many other 3.7s are you there in Glasply land?

A brochure would be great Socal. THX

Yes that is the Hun-Fin alternator kit, the one you sent a link to. Paul is an interesting guy, makes them in his garage. He has something like 8 drill presses all in a line, with each setup for one operation. When I eye it up it sure looks like it should fit. The cover does seem to fit tight to the 3.7s. Your brochure says a 140 MC? must be a Volvo? I'm even wondering if the 4 barrel on the 3.7 could even be used as its just a little wider than the 2 barrel and the throttle cable is in a weird location.

I still have to do the lift the cover to see how big the tank is. As I recall it seemed small. Binford is your tank a replacement? Did you increase the size?

Comment

It's the factory tank. Same tank in both the 19s I have.

The 3.7L is the Mercruiser 470. Here's a bit of info on it: http://www.sterndrives.com/precision...lant_leak.html

Sounds like you may have lucked out with composite stringers! One more thing you could check is down under the engine, on the sides of the stringers perhaps 6 to 9 inches in from the transom and a few inches from the very bottom of the bilge, there should be two holes (one hole on each side), perhaps 1/2-inch diameter, often with rubber stoppers in them. If I can scare up a picture I'll post it up. But that's something several of us with composite stringers have found in our 19s.
              -- Tim Taylor

Comment

Working...
              X