Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescarching the purchase of a GlasPly runabout

Ahoy! from a very new member.
    There are plenty of boats to admire, but there is always a bit extra-special about seaworthy boats that are/were built almost in your backyard. Years ago I visited the Monroe facility several times but a purchase was not in the cards or the budget. Although I grew up around boats, my first purchase was maybe 25 years ago. A 1980 28' Carver Santa Cruise. After a few years, and plenty of seafood, Mama wanted something a bit less Spartan. So we found a 1985 34' Tollycraft sedan that was blessed with twin Cummins. A fine choice for a cruising couple or even two couples if they are friendly. Sometimes I think I want a bigger boat or a faster boat or a newer boat.....but...this one is paid for.
    So a few months ago a friend suggested we go to Sun Lakes. We threw his old 12' wooden skiff in the back or the truck, drove for 5 or 6 hours and proceeded to catch trout like crazy. Once we got enough for dinner, the rest went back for some other fisherman. We enjoyed 3 days of trouting. And it got me to thinkin' (I know: trouble.) So now I'm looking for a little GlasPly runabout. 16' to 19' open bow and outboard. Something that can be towed easily with an SUV like the GMC Envoy. So if anyone has suggestions regarding particular years, models, things to look for....well, I would sure appreciate your input. Now I like boat projects, but the more pristine the craft the easier it is to get buy-in from my parole officer.
    Thx for your time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	179-Velkommen-04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	56290
    Last edited by CascadeThumper; 06-29-2018, 08:00 PM.

There are quite a few in that size on C/L right now. You can also look at the link on the forum. '79 and later craft have fiberglass stringers so no rot. I have a 17' OB and love it. Good luck in your search and welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome to our forum. The open bow glasplys resemble Donzi ski boats. My brother in law had one and loved it.
      I have a 17 foot closed bow and it is a wonderful boat.
      1978 Glasply 21ft 5.7l Mercruiser R drive "Sandi's Surprise"
      1981 Glasply 17ft 70hp Johnson & 9.8hp Nissan kicker "Skunked"

Comment

BTW that's one Beuatiful looking cruiser. You cant go wrong with a 17 or a 19. Don't go older than a '79 unless the stringers are good or redone (redone right).

Comment

Bow cover and max HP

Originally posted by gordo View Post
          BTW that's one Beuatiful looking cruiser. You cant go wrong with a 17 or a 19. Don't go older than a '79 unless the stringers are good or redone (redone right).
          Thanks Gordo!
          I noticed a mid 80s 17 on CL. The open bow had a removable fiberglass cover. Perhaps they are more common than I am aware of, but this is the first one I've seen. Perhaps it is very practical if sloppy seas are expected, or maybe if the boat has a combo use I.e. Fishing in the slop and playing in the sun. Do you know anything about this "option"?
          Another question: i see the 17s with OB power ranging from 40 to 90. Isn't this a little low? I expected to see HP in the 100 - 125 range. I don't know what the CG thinks is max HP for these, but to get several people and a couple of mutts up on plane might take more than 40 HP.
          A query to the Gods of GlasPly....before I do something foolish...hey, I have some history, here.
          Thx
          Gerry

Comment

Hey, welcome aboard!

I’ve got a 50hp 2-stroke outboard on my 16 and yeah, it could use more. But isn’t that nearly always the case? Honestly though, it does great with two aboard and does reasonably okay with my family of 4. It’s an absolutely fun boat though!

BTW, the placard on the boat lists 105 hp as the maximum limit. I think a modern 90 would be fantastic on it.
            -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
            1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
            1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

I have a 70 horse on my 17 foot and it does very well. That said, it is rated to 115 horse.
              1978 Glasply 21ft 5.7l Mercruiser R drive "Sandi's Surprise"
              1981 Glasply 17ft 70hp Johnson & 9.8hp Nissan kicker "Skunked"

Comment

My 17 has a 115 Etec on it and what a great motor that is!

Comment

Working...
                X