Clear All

• Outdrive install by sparlin

Recovered Thread: outdrive install by sparlin on 02-21-2012

Regards,
    Archiver

02-21-2012 #1
    sparlin at cascadeaccess dot com

outdrive install

Hello again all, I'm about to install my outdrive and have a couple questions. There is an O ring that goes to the water intake ( I believe) . Do I put some sort of sealant on it before putting back the drive. Also on the part of the outdrive that has 2 knuckle joints there is another bigger rubber O ring . Do I need a sealant on that too ? The Motor is a 140 Mercruiser with a pre-alpha outdrive.

02-21-2012 #2
    Arne K

You don't need sealant but you're supposed to use an adhesive to hold them in place while installing the outdrive. I'm not sure what Mercruiser suggests but I used 3m Super Weatherstrip Adhesive to hold them in place and I applied some lubricant to the inside of the large o-ring (rubber gasket) to help the outdrive slide into place.

Member: SMWIA, NRA, OHA

02-21-2012 #3
    Billy 4 hp

In a nut shell, ditto to what Arne K said. If you do use 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive use just enough to hold the o-ring in place. The 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive (aka Gorilla Snot) is fairly hard when it set's up. Not soft like silicone adhesive.

Here is a link to the Sterndrive Engineering website. If you click on the link for SEI 106 / 116 Removal and Installation it will open a nice .pdf file on how they recommend to remove replace their drives. The SEI 106 is their replacement for Pre-Alpha's / Alpha One Generation One...

http://www.sterndrive.cc/techspace.htm

HTH...

Last edited by Billy 4 hp; 02-21-2012 at 10:13 PM.

1973 21' Glasply Express
    302 Mercruiser fresh water cooled
    Complete SEI 106 outdrive
    JRC 1000 Radar
    Color Matched Sport Yak II Dinghy
    aka Mean Green

02-22-2012 #4
    sparlin

Thanks guys , Thou art the best !!

02-22-2012 #5
    sparlin

Thanks Billy , That site is great !!!!

03-07-2012 #6
    SwoDaddy

Quicksilver 2-4-C grease is thick enough to hold both the o-ring and the round rubber gasket in place during assembly, and it's the same stuff you need to lubricate the shift shaft, mounting bolts, etc. Any glue you put in there now will have to be scraped out when you do it next time. Not fun, or easy. They'll seal just fine without glue or sealant.

Remember, pulling that outdrive (and replacing the gaskets & o-rings) is an ANNUAL maintenance task on the older Mercruisers. Gotta grease those u-joints if you want them to last, and you gotta pull the outdrive to grease 'em!

Randy
    Last edited by Binford; 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM. Reason: removed e-mail addresses to protect from spam-bots
Working...
X