putting holes in your hull page 1 by sparkotic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting holes in your hull page 1 by sparkotic

Thread: putting holes in your hull page 1 of 3 by sparkotic on 04-18-2012, other 2 pages not found I will add them if I find them.

Regards,

Archiver

04-18-2012 #1
    sparkotic

putting holes in your hull

I am getting ready to mount some stuff. like swim step, relocating my fish finder's sounder, hopefully trim tabs.... What is the proper way of mounting stuff like this to your transom? Just screw them in? screw them in with wet resin on the screw? do you over size the hole and fill with epoxy?
    and speaking of trim tabs, am I correct in thinking the tabs should go as far outboard as possible? if so, I need to relocate the sounder, if not... it can probably stay where it is.

Also, I am thinking about putting a water intake on the bottom of the boat. an intake for something like a wash down system, or bait tank. is there any trick to this?

calm seas and tight lines.

04-18-2012 #2
    Arne K

For screws, I pre-drill the holes with the appropriate size bit and then use a high quality polyurethane caulk (3M 4200, Sika Flex, NP-1, Vulkem, Rainbuster 900, etc) on the screws. For through bolts, drill the hole and then seal the wood with laminating resin. Let the resin cure before you install the bolts and then install with polyurethane caulk. For your water pick-up, penetrate the transom above the water line and run a tube down to the water. The fewer holes below the waterline, the better off you are.

Member: SMWIA, NRA, OHA

04-18-2012 #3
    Arne K

From Bennett trim tab installation instructions:

04-18-2012 #4
    Binford

For my new swim step, I am securing it to the transom with 1/4" stainless bolts. After marking each bolt position, I will be drilling 1/2" holes. I will fill the holes with Duraglas (that blue/green fiberglass filler). When that cures, I will drill 1/4" holes directly through the middle of the plugs. That way the holes will be lined with filler. And yes, I have a drill guide to keep my angles consistent.

When I go to install the bolts, I'll be squirting some 4200 around the bolts and spreading a layer of 4200 on the backside of the brackets.

-- Tim Taylor

1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 (x2)

04-18-2012 #5
    sparkotic

Is 1/4" big enough? I was thinking atleast 3/8"??? I will admit, I work at the shipyard, so I tend to over engineer things....

Thanks for all the info.

04-20-2012 #6
    Arne K

Quote Originally Posted by sparkotic View Post
    Is 1/4" big enough? I was thinking atleast 3/8"??? I will admit, I work at the shipyard, so I tend to over engineer things....

Thanks for all the info.
    I sent 3/8" bolts with your brackets. I just found out my kid hasn't called you yet. He got an extra day of leave and is home now but he'll be sure and get ahold of you next week.

04-20-2012 #7
    sparkotic

Thank you Arne. I just figured he was waiting for the weekend. no hurry, we have been working on other things getting the boat ready.

04-20-2012 #8
    gmanhawaii

my lenco trim tabs have same direction.

1414.jpg

04-20-2012 #9
    Binford

Quote Originally Posted by sparkotic View Post
    Is 1/4" big enough? I was thinking atleast 3/8"???
    When each bracket uses 8 of them? Yeah....

-- Tim Taylor

1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 (x2)

04-21-2012 #10
    Bill V

My original swim step brackets were held on by five 1/4" bolts on each of the 3 brackets. My new one is held on by eight 1/4" bolts on 3 new brackets. I have carried a dinghy (150 lbs.) and two 128 qt. coolers (200-250 lbs. ea.) full of ice and fish on the old swim step with no problems. One thing to look at is the location of your top bolt on the brackets. It should be as high as possible to minimize the leverage of the bracket on the bolts. I used all the same holes drilled for my original brackets and built my new brackets to raise my flatform 5-6" higher from the water therefore adding an additional 3 bolts per bracket. Being an inboard powered boat, my transom is only 3/4" thick so bigger diameter bolts don't really help much. I did use 3" diameter 1/4" thick alluminum washers on all the top 3 bolts for each bracket to spread the load as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkotic
    Also, I am thinking about putting a water intake on the bottom of the boat. an intake for something like a wash down system, or bait tank. is there any trick to this?
    Depends on whether you want to use this while underway. Arne's idea works well if you're stopped or going very slow but won't permit pump suction to pull water in when underway above trolling speeds. I use a sea cock and water intake hull fitting so my wash down system can be used when cruising. Don't install a salt water pump for a bait tank or washdown without a sea cock. If the pump needs servicing you want to be able to remove it while the boat is in the water. For trailerable boats this might not be required but good insurance should the pump fail or hose break.

Last edited by Bill V; 04-21-2012 at 05:09 AM.

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep the change."
Working...
X