Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling in all the little holes

Page 1 of 4

Recovered thread Filling in all the little holes originally posted by Binford on 07-29-2011. Pages 3 and 4 still missing, some pic links recovered.

Regards,

Archiver

07-29-2011 #1
    Binford

Filling in all the little holes

I've got a bunch of little holes along the top of the transom from where things had been mounted at one time and since removed. What's the preferred method for filling these in that will leave it looking halfway decent? That is, after I get the rust stains off from around them!

-- Tim Taylor

1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 (x2)

07-29-2011 #2
    Bill V

I use 3M 5200 to fill all holes. It looks OK to me. Best method is fiberglass resin and gelcoat but I don't have the patience for that method.

07-29-2011 #3
    Arne K

I used epoxy putty. Had to sand and paint the boat to hided the patches though.

Member: SMWIA, NRA, OHA

07-29-2011 #4
    Binford

I got some white 3M 5200 which will match the color of my fiberglass.

Okay, so how do I get rid of the rust stains around the old holes? I tried rubbing them with CLR, but it doesn't seem to want to come off!

Any tricks?

-- Tim Taylor

07-31-2011 #5
    Bill V

I use Bar Keepers Friend for all my stain removal issues. Works very well on anything including stainless steel railings.

07-31-2011 #6
    nova7163

Send a message via Yahoo to nova7163

You can use Marine-Tex epoxy putty. Comes in white and will look halfway decent.

10-17-2011 #7
    Binford

Here are a few of the little buggers:

And those aren't even the rusty ones!

I've got 31....count 'em....31 of those stoopid little holes (one for each year the boat is old!) and that's just on the back! There's at least a dozen more here and there, half of them hidden by skateboard tape....

Some have the gelcoat layer pulled out a bit and cracked by the screw that had been in there. Would it be advisable to run a counter-sink bit in them to 1) clean it out a bit and 2) give the patch material a better surface to bond with? Or am I going to have bits of gelcoat and fiberglass flying all over the place if I try that?

As for the rust, I had to put a couple NEW holes in there for the fuel line and power cable for the kicker, so I picked a couple spots where the little holes looked the worst. That rust has permeated deep into the fiberglass. There's not going to be any getting rid of it with Bar Keeper's Friend or anyone else's friend, for that matter.... What are my paint options? Patch and smooth that area and just roll or spray some white over that and feather the ends at the boat's rear corners so it sort of blends in with the gelcoat?

What a mess though! 31 freakin' holes....

-- Tim Taylor

10-17-2011 #8
    Salmonhunter

Looks like the same guy that drilled all the holes in my boat did your boat also. Or maybe they are from fiberglass termites....lol ......... I resin filled the holes sanded and going to paint over them. Simple easy and fast.

On the smaller holes I made them bigger so I made sure they where filled propery.

><((((ยบ><((((ยบ><((((ยบ> ><((((ยบ><((((ยบ><((((ยบ> Fish On

Boat name - Wildlife
    Call Sign- Salmonhunter
    Hangouts- Sekiu, Hood Canal, Westport, Lower Puget Sound, Neah Bay
    Places wanting to learn to fish- Port Angles, Sequim( for Halbut) Seattle area ( for Kings)

11-02-2011 #9
    Binford

That 3M 5200 stuff can't be sanded, can it? It stays flexible, from what the directions say.

I was hoping to fill the plethora of little holes with something, lightly sand it all smooth and probably lay a coat of some sort of paint over it, since the rust stains have permeated the gelcoat. I appears the 5200 would certainly seal the holes, but would not sand smooth and may not allow a coat of paint. Is there a better product for what I plan to do?

-- Tim Taylor

11-02-2011 #10
    sparkotic

What about kitty hair? I can't remember the real name. (maybe that is the real name) its like a bondo impregnated with fiberglass?

calm seas and tight lines.

Page 2 of 4

Recovered thread Filling in all the little holes originally posted by Binford on 07-29-2011. Pages 3 and 4 still missing, some pic links recovered.

Regards,

Archiver

Thread: Filling in all the little holes

11-02-2011 #11
    Salmonhunter

Well you can fill the holes with resin and sand them down, then get a small can of top coat off white or egg shell paint to cover them up.

Boat name - Wildlife
    Call Sign- Salmonhunter
    Places wanting to learn to fish- Port Angles, Sequim( for Halbut) Seattle area ( for Kings)

11-02-2011 #12
    Binford

The whole panel will have to be painted. Most of the 31 holes have rust stains around them. I was figuring to fill in the holes, sand them smooth, then paint the entire width of the upper transom part (which I still don't know what to call--the upper deck portion of the transom). Painting the entire thing will cover all the past sins and blending the painted portion with the unpainted side portions at the corners will help make it look right.

So if I can't sand 5200 down, perhaps it isn't what I want to use for this task, eh?

-- Tim Taylor

11-03-2011 #13
    Salmonhunter

resin will work fine, on my really small holes I drilled them bigger so I could fill them easier. I just taped underneath and filled the holes. Pulled the tape off and done.

Boat name - Wildlife
    Call Sign- Salmonhunter

02-07-2012 #14
    Binford

This afternoon I dealt with the holes on the area of the Forward Stateroom on my boat. The previous owner(s) had drilled holes a-plenty through the fiberglass for such things as antenna mounts, curtain rods, etc. I pulled out all the old hardware (thankfully most of it stainless in good shape, but some was nasty, rusted crap) and was left with over a dozen holes like this:

Yeah, the spider cracks indicate other issues, but one step at a time....

The first step was to counter-sink the holes with a counter-sink bit:

Here's the hole after it was counter-sunk:

The idea is, the counter-sink gives the filler a better area to "bite" into, so it won't simply push through the hole.

The interior is then covered with tape so the filler material won't just push through:

Continued......

Last edited by Binford; 02-07-2012 at 11:19 PM.

-- Tim Taylor

02-07-2012 #15
    Binford

...So I mixed up some Duraglas filler (gray is the Duraglas and the blue is the hardner that I'm just starting to mix in at this point):

And with a plastic applicator, I applied it to the hole, smoothing off the exterior, and wiping off the excess with an acetone-dampened cloth:

After letting it cure for half an hour or so, here's what the interior looks like with the tape removed:

I also used the filler for the original anchor rode cleat holes and that other piece that was screwed to the deck surface just aft of it.

My next step will be to lightly sand the areas and apply some gel-coat. Then I'll sand again, starting with 220 grit, then 400 and 600. After sanding, I'll buff it out with the 3M product I'll be using on the entire boat this spring. I'll take more pictures as I proceed....

-- Tim Taylor

02-08-2012 #16
    Bill V

Binford: Do you make house calls? Can you imagine the boats in the PNW that could use your skills? You could have your own business, do something that is your passion. Not sure if you would make lots of money but you would save lots of boats..............

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep the change."

02-08-2012 #17
    Binford

Let's wait and see if I can pull off a reasonable end result! What I've just done is the easy part. The finish work will tell whether I ever try this again!

-- Tim Taylor

02-08-2012 #18
    LeePly

I second Marine-Tex / White. Awesome stuff and can be sanded. I use a countersink bit to put a slight bevel into the hole so the stuff settles nicely. One the stuff sets up its like steel.

02-08-2012 #19
    SteveP

Tim - Your boat is going to be beautiful when you get all the stuff you're doing to it done. I kind of wish I had the time, energy and dedication to beautify mine as you are. Right on.

LeePly, Yes - the Marine tex works great for this as well.

Last edited by SteveP; 02-08-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... it's much more important than that!!!

02-20-2012 #20
    sparlin@cascadeaccess.com

Send a message via AIM to sparlin@cascadeaccess.com

I've been using Tap Plastic Gelcoat resin to repair my holes. I used 600g sandpaper to get rid of the rust around the hole the use a counter sink. Used masking tape as a backer then the resin. sanded again and polished it out .Almost cant see them. So far Ive done about 20 of them and about 30 more to go.

Comment

Working...
    X