Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1974 Glasply - not a peep when turning the key...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 Glasply - not a peep when turning the key...

I was wondering if anyone could offer possible suggestions. A family member passed and i'm trying to help sell the boat but we really want to at least be able to show it runs first to get a decent price for it.

Right now when I hook up the water to the engine, etc and turn the key absolutely nothing happens. Im told the engine was started within the last couple years sitting on the driveway. Is there an ignition override switch or something? I was told maybe it was something called the "starter relay"? Any suggestions what I might do to get this started? Also does anyone know what the model of this Glasply is?

Link to more photos:
    https://imgur.com/a/ODjz0r1

Here is a photo of the inside back of the boat:
    https://imgur.com/a/ODjz0r1

Since you don' mention the battery (s) I would start with ALL things battery first, Fully Charged, Terminals cleaned, etc. Then report back for more suggestions from the group and some great mechanics.

Comment

Hi thanks!... I did make sure the batteries were charged... and just in case charged them over night....

Comment

With not knowing of your knowledge of boats, is the battery switch on? It’s just showing in the pic of the back port side, red circle with battery cables and should be labeled 1 2 both. Try it on #1 battery and if nothing try it on #2 battery. Does anything else electrical work in the boat like the lights, horn or blower? If nothing else has power then there is something wrong in the switch or the batteries are just to dead to hold any charge. If the other electrical items work you can jump the starter, probably best to watch a few videos on YouTube or such to get an idea of how to do it if you don’t already know. If that doesn’t work then try to turn the motor over by hand with a socket and ratchet. If it’s been sitting a couple years the engine could be stuck to where the starter won’t budge it till you break it free. If it is stuck remove the spark plugs and fill with marvel mystery oil for a few days and try to turn over by hand again. If you have a multimeter start checking voltage at the switch to and see if it’s alive. There are fuses at the switch too, could be bad.

Comment

Awesome.. that's a big help! I didn't know about the battery switch... so I turned it to 1 and suddenly I have power in the cab. I turned the ignition and it sounded like the motor was doing something but it didn't turn over. It sounded more like maybe the motor moving the leg up or down. Nothing happened. Then I tried to turn the key again and I just hear a click... the click may be coming from where I circled in this pic...

Comment

Make sure you have water muffs on the outdrive when cranking the motor in case it does start you won't kill your impeller and overheat.
            Boat=Bust out another thousand
            1973 19' Glasply HT 140 Mercruiser- procrastinating ongoing rebuild
            1985 2200 Glasply HT Marauder 5 L

Comment

Click May indicate there is not enough charge to engage the starter solonoid or it may be stuck. Also try a jump start as previously mentioned. Nice Express model.
              The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

That is where the starter is and what your are hearing is the starter relay. Check and is if you can turn the motor manually. If not do what jjc said.
                \

Comment

Water muffs engaged... im reading that this single click may be the solenoid... maybe I should try and replace that? Any other suggestions what I might try first?

Comment

Like SoCal said could be weak batteries, use a jump from a good battery. Pull the spark plugs and try with the ignition switch. If nothing try to turn the motor over with a socket and ratchet on the crank pulley, large pulley on front of motor at the bottom. Get the big bolt in the center, should turn fairly easy with spark plugs out. If not don’t force it, dump some mystery oil in or even PB or WD40 will do. If it turns easy try to tap starter lightly while someone turns the key.

Comment

At the steering station, you will have the throttle lever on the right. Make sure you have that in neutral. If you are not sure how to do that, show a picture and we can probably walk you through it. Probably a button at the pivot point that you push and hold while you move the throttle lever forward a bit. There is a neutral safety switch that won’t let you start the engine with the outdrive in gear.

As Weigh2Go mentioned, make sure the battery terminals and all other main battery connections are shiny-clean. From the batteries, disconnect, clean and reconnect the battery cables, then follow them to wherever they go (battery switch; engine ground; etc.) and whenever you come to another terminal, disconnect, clean and reconnect and then move farther along until you get all the main, heavy battery cables clean. It doesn’t take much corrosion at all to really reduce the voltage on those high-amp draws like the starter. (You’ll have to pull the battery switch off the wall to get to the terminals on the backside of it.)
                      -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                      1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                      1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

So last I heard the engine worked fine and was not seized... but would this click sound be a symptom of a seized engine? In order to test the engine will I have to take this casing / bracket thing off and try to turn the motor from a bolt behind that? What if i just pull on the belt? It doesn't seem to turn if I do that.. would that mean it's seized?

Comment

A lot can happen to a boat engine that sits for a while - mostly internal condensation. Do the simple things first. Clean all electrical connections, try jump start with strong battery, gently tap solonoid, fill cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil or similar product, make sure fuel is clean. Post your progress here, you can see the initial response from members who have dealt with some of all of the same issues.
                          The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Is it difficult to check to make sure the engine isnt seized? If I tried to pull that belt I imagine I shouldn't be able to... it wont seem to turn as is by hand.I could possibly try harder but dont wanna rip the belt

Comment

If you rip the belt I hope I never make you mad at me or hopefully I can run faster then you! Give her all you got but pull the spark plugs. With the plugs in you won’t get it to budge with just the belt. I forgot about the engine mount on the 165.

Comment

Working...
                              X