mounting trolling motor on 26 glasply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mounting trolling motor on 26 glasply

Hello all, Its been a while sense I chimed in, so here is the update on my 26 with 6bt cummins. I installed the new fuel tank then shortly thereafter my shaft broke at the prop taper and fell off as was reentering the boat house. Luckily diver found prop. So it was another haul out and engine removal to remedy. I removed the sleeper sofa from cabin and built a settee, still needing cushions.
    The boat does about 5 knots at slow idle 20X20 prop. and I want to install an outboard either on swim step or transom with a pass through the swim step. Any suggestions as for size, location would be helpful. I also want trim start and steering to be remote if possible. Thanks in advance Mike

Dieselfitter, that sounds like some pretty good luck to me! Lets see some pictures of the interior, I'm part way through my own interior redesign.

I've had thoughts about something similar regarding a kicker(fuel reasons for me, not speed). Our 28 at one point in time had (based on old paperwork) a 25 hp long shaft mounted centerline on the swim step with a bracket, and had controls routed through a large hole in the transom. It was long gone by the time I got the boat so I'm afraid not much information on how it worked.

There's a ~26 tolly on E dock at Port Orchard with a high thrust yamaha on the swim step with what looks like a hydraulic lift though, one of these days I need to leave a note on his boat asking about it.

Comment

I have a 26 as well, if you find out please let me know. My 26 is in great shape but I am looking for a mechanic to hook the motors back up. I would think atleast 15hp but check this boat out, it looks like he is running a 9.9hp on his swim step and he is a 28 ft glasply mold stretched to 30 ft https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...781101892.html
      1978 10" Dinghy "Pogo"

1980 Glas-Ply 2600 "Beeched Whale"

Comment

Interesting trim tab setup on that boat as well.

Comment

Well its been a year since I chimed in about my 26 glasply outboard trolling motor install. I have decided to mount it on the middle of the transom on a bracket that raises 15 1/2 inches with a cut out in swim step. The outboard is a 9.9 Suzuki 25 inch with remote and I bought remote steering. I am just getting ready, maybe tomorrow to mount the bracket and outboard. The bracket bottom would be 1 inch from water, when down, to get the prop under the hull behind rudder. My question is this to low? the tilt cylinder will be in the water when down. It appears to have a zink on it. How low should it go??? Sorry no pics I am all gear driven...

Comment

If your bracket puts your kicker a ways back from the transom, you don't have to be as deep. What about mounting it on a kicker bracket that bolts down to the swim step? I'm assuming that would be 18-24" back from the transom.
            They civilize left, they civilize right, 'til nothing is left and nothing is right. (Ben Rumson)

Comment

Arne K I have the boat in a boathouse that is barely large enough, so I wanted to raise it and lower down some to fit with curtain down. Also I feel more secure with the outboard attached to the transom.
              When I cut the swimstep it was saturated, but not rotted, after 40 years in the water. I will probably go with duel swim steps either side of the outboard useing king seaboard on exsisting brackets
              Thanks for the comment on the depth, I think I will raise it slightly. How much outboard should I leave it the water when down?

Comment

Dieselfitter,
                I'm a little late with my comments, but a mount on the Port side of the transom/swimstep would free up more swimstep area and be a much shorter reach for the OB prop to get to clean water because of the deep V hull design
                . .
                The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

This is for Yamaha outboards. It seems very low to me but I spend a lot of time drifting and backing into swells.

Click image for larger version

Name:	y4mUOnxPx9Oi6aisWwtM2EMwmvDEjr3L2mn1WzhTvHh7emPz0AU1ZxUHhKtc7ZyYtc805MP-9BlU_QZWDpIBtXkIP7FJasqfwQv3pEbN-k55aLXRpTqgZQPjZZZWLPCoXPRUMCw9rubhI2NEgaO6k-xdBrjyWgatsckc7yKESFGR1ypIfaqesI7mxeM6wV0RBd2BWUsaPBSnGC4muQNNOPE5g?width=887&height=754&cropmode
Views:	48
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	65908

They civilize left, they civilize right, 'til nothing is left and nothing is right. (Ben Rumson)

Comment

Originally posted by Socal View Post
                    Dieselfitter,
                    I'm a little late with my comments, but a mount on the Port side of the transom/swimstep would free up more swimstep area and be a much shorter reach for the OB prop to get to clean water because of the deep V hull design
                    . .
                    My dock neighbor in Edmonds has a 4 stroke centered on his transom and he’s commented that he doesn’t have enough depth to go in reverse very well nor during high waves as the prop will come slightly out of clean water. If he did it again he’d mount on one side or the other.
                    Attached Files
                    Glas-Hawk
                    Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
                    1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
                    1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

Previous Affairs
                    1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
                    1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
                    1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
                    1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc http://www.glasply.org/vb4/core/images/smilies/cool.png
                    1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
                    2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

Thanksfor the replys and the chart. Geeat help. The chart shows the depth of the outboard in relationship to water. Exactly what I needed. Also with my bracket that raises 15 1/2 inches, The outboard will set lower than the pic shows. I will be just below hull with the prop and, about 20 inches back from hull. The outboard is also 25inch with remote. Its the white version of the 9.9 Suzuki.
                      fishing opens here in area 9 in about a month, need to get this done.

Comment

Diesel fitter...9 opened 2/1 according to my FishWA app.
                        Sounds like you have a good plan.
                        Attached Files
                        Glas-Hawk
                        Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
                        1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
                        1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

Previous Affairs
                        1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
                        1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
                        1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
                        1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc http://www.glasply.org/vb4/core/images/smilies/cool.png
                        1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
                        2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

Whoops I am now fishing Area 7 outside port Angeles. I fished area 9 for over 20 years. Stuck in my head.

Comment

trolling motor is mounted. I would like to share some pic but don't know how. We need a sticky on the subject or possibly send them to someone else to post for me. Thanks

Comment

Outboard iis a great success story. I can now troll at desired speed and steering is excellent. Went out opening day here in area 6 and caught an 8 and 20 lb blackmouth. Also lost anouher at the boat. Probably had the fin anyway. Great experience over trying to troll with the 5.9 cummins. Best of both worlds now. I would still like to post some pics but I need help. Also it doesn't back up very fast propwash hitting hull, So one side or the other would probably reverse better.

Comment

Working...
                              X