AI Gen II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI Gen II

Sorted out a few items over the winter, we kept having to add coolant and found one the bolts holding the water pump to the b;lock was broken, new gasket, new bolt, fixed.... It was a slow leak and being colored blind and a wet bilge it was hard for me too see, plus it was slow enough that evaporated off the block before it dripped very much. Also stiffened the alternator bracket as that was flexing and the belt squeaked.

Pulled the drive to pressure test and check alignment, which was OK, pressure test no so much, leaked out of the lower seals on the upper gear-case, had to rotate the input shaft before it leaked. I was going to tackle this job myself but decided to take it someone more familiar with these and had the special tools. In any case, all the seal were bad or on their way out, the two large bearings did not look that great and decided to replace, turns out the rolling torque was excessive and appears as if the seals got hot. If I recall the history the original motor overheated and that can be hard on seals. Ended up resealing and replacing bearings, gears and shift were in great shape. Bottom line is its doubtful it would have made another season the way it was.

My guy was reluctant to get into due to the amount of corrosion that he could see around the water pump and water supply port. They get so bad that the sealing surfaces are shot and have to be built back up. I actually think my fuel usage improved, we did a lot of trolling so I wont know until the summer time and more normal use.

What I learned is you HAVE to flush these things and keep up on the zincs.. ours looked really good on the outside, so I would have never guessed the corrosion was that serious. Boat ran very well for this trip, typical cruise 24-28 MPH at 3200-3400, 2.2 MPG. We have put about 420 hours on it since we got it in the water may 2018.
    1982 2580 "HI-BOY " IN 2 DEEP 5.7LX ALPHA

AK
    Good maintenance points. Good to hear you are getting lots of use after all the time you spent on the rebuild.
    The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Socal View Post
      AK
      Good maintenance points. Good to hear you are getting lots of use after all the time you spent on the rebuild.
      Doing my dangest to wear it out...! Slowly acquiring scratches, scrapes wear and tear.!
      1982 2580 "HI-BOY " IN 2 DEEP 5.7LX ALPHA

Comment

Working...
      X