Rebuild windows on a 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild windows on a 28

Have decided to rebuild the leaking windows on my boat. All 4 of the sliders leak and after completing all the interior remodel I want it kept dry. Have removed both starboard windows and all 3 windshield windows, I can believe how funky the side sliders are. They use 3 different types of rubber gaskets/seals that Iḿ having a hard time finding. I did manage to find the rubber trough seal for the sliding window but not the rubber wiper or seals. New windows are looking better all the time. While I have the windows out I wanted to do one of three things to make them black. Anodize, powder coat or paint them.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Have you priced replacement windows? Finding all of those gaskets and seals sounds painful at best. I was never able to find the moulding that holds the windshields in place for my 21'. If you need to hold to a budget, painting the frames will work fine if you use a 2-part epoxy primer.
    They civilize left, they civilize right, 'til nothing is left and nothing is right. (Ben Rumson)

Comment

Originally posted by Arne K View Post
      Have you priced replacement windows? Finding all of those gaskets and seals sounds painful at best. I was never able to find the moulding that holds the windshields in place for my 21'. If you need to hold to a budget, painting the frames will work fine if you use a 2-part epoxy primer.
      I would need to replace 2 side windows each on port and starboard side and cost is about $2500 for the 4. You are absolutely dead on about finding all the rubber seals and still have window tinting costs as well as frame color costs too, whether I paint, anodize or powder coat. The more I look for the seals and consider all the issues with rebuilding I am fast considering to just bite the bullet and buy new ones. Have made up templates from the hole cutouts to take to AJR Windows in Vancouver to get an estimate. The 3 front windshield windows only require painting and will not be tinted beyond what the factory did. The rear door window and the two porthole windows are also only painted.
      "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200116_164606.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	65720I bought all the windows for my 21' for I think it was $1300. That's 2 fixed windshields, 2 sliding side windows, 2 fixed tempered glass cuddy windows and 2 tempered glass alaskan bulkhead windows. All custom made to my dimensions. Got them from Motion Marine in Oregon. Saved by picking them up and tax free.

https://www.motionwindows.com/marine-windows/
        Last edited by nova7163; 01-16-2020, 05:50 PM.
        1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
        1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
        8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

X2 on giving Motion Marine a shot. They quoted me $2900 (including shipping) this past year for 7 windows for my Tolman Skiff. I ended up purchasing from a fabricator that quoted $100 higher but was located between home and work. Based on my experience and reviews from others, I probably would have been better off going with the Motion windows.
          They civilize left, they civilize right, 'til nothing is left and nothing is right. (Ben Rumson)

Comment

Thank you both. Will contact Motion ASAP. Nova: what shade of tint were your side window sliders?
            Last edited by Bill V; 01-17-2020, 12:19 PM.

Comment

All the windows are the same tint and I'm not sure what percent but they called it light grey. Here is the view out the front during the day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1959.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	65739

Comment

Is the glass Polarized?

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
                  Is the glass Polarized?
                  I'm not sure

Comment

Originally posted by nova7163 View Post

I'm not sure
                    Just curious, you will know looking thru with polarized sunglasses. NOT good!

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

Just curious, you will know looking thru with polarized sunglasses. NOT good!
                      I don't have any polarized glasses so I can't check.

Comment

Working...
                      X