No announcement yet.

81 28' Long Cabin work in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a choice of covering the radiator or the tranny cooler so I took my chances and stuck it on the boat-saw a few wsp and didn’t get any extra stops? Need to look for a different sign for the front of the truck.

Bob emailed me and said the wax is too slippery... win! He was letting me know he’d have to wipe it off with a solvent just so he could mask it off.

Towed great, the brakes felt really solid and never felt like I needed more truck. Except for maybe 4wd... had to back out the driveway because I just dug a hole in the driveway trying to pull up the hill to get out of the yard. Only has ~750 tongue weight so the probably isn’t helping.

Comment

• Mike, on the sign thing, get or make a plywood sign, weld a couple pieces of channel on your headache rack, and slip it in place when towing. When the sign is removed, the channel makes good retainers, keeping lumber from slipping sideways.
      I just purchased a magnetic sign for my bumper.
      Boat looks awesome! Hard work is paying off for sure!

Comment

• Hey Mike, you might try extending the cab guard up with some kind of up rights and hang the sign above the cab. Truck and boat good great.

Comment

• The headache rack/plywood idea sounds good. Could probably make that happen for zero dollars too. I like the magnetic sign as quick and easy storage, but unless a smaller sign is legal 12” will cover more cooling than I’d like to test. Although until this trip I thought the trans temp gauge was busted-it was stuck on 140 until it briefly crept up to 160 today.

Comment

• A mesh sign would fix the cooling issue.
            1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
            1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
            8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

• Originally posted by nova7163 View Post
              A mesh sign would fix the cooling issue.
              Great idea, I forgot about those. I do remember them being more abrasive, but that was on long trips, probably not an issue normally.

Comment

• Thanks for the suggestions, for the moment I’m leaning towards a double sided wood sign over the headache rack. As oblivious as people are I’d like to give them as much warning as I can. Didn’t give as much thought about signage as I should have.

Comment

• You need this https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailvi...?part=24500378 just add a small air tank. Did you get a permit to haul it? Once you get setup the permit deal is easy to do online whenever you need it.

Comment

• truck looks good as well Mike
                    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

• Originally posted by jjc23 View Post
                      You need this https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailvi...?part=24500378 just add a small air tank. Did you get a permit to haul it? Once you get setup the permit deal is easy to do online whenever you need it.
                      I carry a small compressor most of the time, and that’s a nifty sign, but unless you win the lottery and are offering to buy me one I’ll have to go with a cheaper option, haha.

I did get setup online and since the trailer also needs a trip permit due to no title/registration/vin it’s even handier. Once the boat isn’t on it I can get it stamped by the wsp and get a title.

Thanks noluck, it’s not the prettiest but I’m happy with it. Sure is nice being a newer truck, even has working ac!

Comment

• Progress!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	05323A48-9899-4495-BF8D-30C704D0C078.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	54132

Comment

• That gel coat sure polished up nice Mike. What product of bottom paint are they putting on?
                          Bracketed 1973 191 VIP Suzuki df175
                          F/V Goldmember

Comment

• Epoxy barrier coat and hard bottom paint... not sure what brands. I just told him how I planned to use it and he told me what he’d use. With his reputation I’m mostly just pushing the I believe button. I feel very comfortable that it is in the right hands.

Comment

• Looks great! Always liked the looks of GP's without bottom paint, very clean... never put it on our 23', but no real options if you leave them in the water...

Comment

• Damn those GP hulls are sexy!

Comment

Working...
                                X