28 tow vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 tow vehicle

I need to tow my 28' Glasply long cabin from the harbor back to my town and don't own a big enough truck. The boat service shop is asking for ~$1000 to do the job. So I'm looking into alternatives.

I can rent a 2018 F-250 for a reasonable price for the day. Is this a big enough truck to tow this boat? It's about a 45 mile drive over pretty level highway with no major grades.I have a 3 axle trailer is good condition with surge brakes. I'm reading here that this boat may weigh as much as 12,000 lbs.
    1986 Glasply 28' long cabin

Where do you live? If I lived close I would tow it for you for that $1000, they're SCREWING you for that price!! But seriously, If I was close would do it for you. That 2018 F250 would do that job just fine since it's only 45 miles, BUT you absolutely have to make sure the truck/receiver hitch is rated for at least 16,000 lbs (boat/trailer) yes the boat will weigh at least 12,000lbs and if the boat is loaded correctly on the trailer, the hitch should be rated for at least 1600 lb tongue weight, assuming you're not using goose-neck/5th wheel trailer.
    Make sure you having nothing higher than the bridge wind screen (take the canvas/radar arch down). And whatever permits/placards needed.

Comment

Noluck brought my 28 from Idaho for about that on a trailer with no brakes! I agree that's a terrible quote.

Per the link, depends on the spec. Mine was ~15k on the trailer, could have been 14k if the boat was dead empty. I tried to rent a truck when I bought mine and no one local would "ok" a 15k bumper tow with their truck.

Now I have a 99 F450 gasser with a flatbed, pretty handy to have around now that it's there.

Edit/fix link:
      https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...tyPU_Nov27.pdf

Comment

I'm towing the boat from Whittier to Anchorage AK.
        I'll call the rental shop back and check what the receiver hitch mounted on it is rated for.
        I'll definitely be taking all the canvas down and my radar arch is on hinges, so will lower and get strapped down.

Comment

you will be fine if you are not climbing grades or plan to stop quick
          1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Originally posted by kisutch View Post
            I'm towing the boat from Whittier to Anchorage AK.
            I'll call the rental shop back and check what the receiver hitch mounted on it is rated for.
            I'll definitely be taking all the canvas down and my radar arch is on hinges, so will lower and get strapped down.
            Funny, I'll be in Anchorage tomorrow, then driving north. Maybe I'll get to see your boat on the trailer and grab a photo!!

Comment

Most F250 and F350 have a class 4 hitch rated at up to 14k. I have never seen a class 5 hitch on a new 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
              1. Class IV hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
              2. Not all Class IV hitches are rated to be both. See the specific hitch for that information.
              3. Class IV hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs.
              4. Class IV hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 14,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1400 lbs.
              5. A Class IV hitch usually has a 2" square receiver opening.
              6. A higher class drawbar does not increase the towing capacity of the hitch. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
              7. Class IV hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.
              1. Class V hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
              2. Class V hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 12,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1200 lbs.
              3. Class V hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 17,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1700 lbs.
              4. Your ball mount and hitch ball need to both be rated for Class V to safely tow these weight loads. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
              5. A Class V hitch has a 2-1/2" square receiver opening.
              6. Class V hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.
              "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found another shop that rents 1ton dually trucks. I've got one of those reserved so it looks like I'll have an appropriate vehicle and save some money.

I'll be driving it up Saturday weigh2go. What are you doing in AK? If you had a free day I'd be happy to show you the boat. I finally got it running great after a trying summer. Long story short is that the engines were horribly out of tune.

Comment

I'll send you a PM.

Comment

Got the boat home safely this weekend. Was really glad to have the bigger truck. The weigh station was closed so I couldn't find out the actual weight.
                    Where do you guys strap your boat to the trailer? The bow seemed to really want to bob up and down so I strapped it down pretty tight.

Comment

Glad you had a safe tow!
                      Most of us tie the bow down very similar to the way you did.

Comment

I'm one of the lucky ones that has a bow eye, so I use bow eye and cleats. That said, I think it's an issue with roller trailers-the way they support the boat basically from pins way back on the trailer can put a hurt on even a pretty heavy trailer. I'd rather have a bunk trailer that spreads the forces better on the trailer.

Comment

Comment

I have a bow eye as well, but still strap the bow to cut down on trailer flex.

Comment

Also, more straps to avoid this.

Comment

Working...
                              X