28 dual And tripple trailer first attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glashawk View Post
    Bill, when I hauled the rear sling was holding ~8000#s and the front was ~3800. So the further fwd towards the bow continues to lighten the front sling load while putting more weight on rear. I’m not saying your location is wrong as every boat is loaded differently. The operator originally had his front sling further fwd and moved it backwards to gain a little more balanced weight...if you can call 32% in the front/68% rear balanced.
    Very good point that I had not thought about. Being I carry 200 gals of gas and 65 gals of water plus at least 200# of tackle and spare parts I doubt my bow weight is as high as yours but the rear sling weight is higher then yours. Will need to check my weights the next time I put boat in the water. Thanks Brian
    "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Brian and Bill
      How much adjustment does the sling operator have between the bow and stern sling hangers? Don't most marinas have their sling straps hang from a rectangular frame?
      Do you mark the sling points on the hull as a guide for the crane operator? I would think the trailer bunk cutouts would have to fairly closely match the sling points.
      Just asking for a friend.
      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

When’s she’s hanging just above the bunks in the slings I’m going to cut out notches for the slings in the general area so it can be lifted out easy every time.

Comment

Comment

So it all worked out just fine with with bunks I installed. A bit of a puzzle due to previous owners trailer set up. The boat is safe and sound on land and happy. Very proud of the setup ie trailer and bunks. Pulled and trailered perfect with my dads 2011 dadge diesel. My concern is with my own 2005 Duramax 2500 with airbags. Moved it a few blocks. Seems even stronger that’s that dodge. Will I be over my limit legally? Not sure what my boat truck and trailer weighs yet. Looks giagantic compared to any truck. What’s the wet weight of the 28 bill?

Comment

I’m a heavy duty mechanic so I know my 6 spd Duramax has the same axles and trans as the 3500 just differently badged and less insurance. I over build everything and love my truck but considering a 3-5 ton even semi tow rig. Anyone have a truck for sale?

Comment

your boat weighs around 15,000 lb. i have towed with a f450 with no issue, even without trailer brakes
                1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Originally posted by noluck View Post
                  your boat weighs around 15,000 lb. i have towed with a f450 with no issue, even without trailer brakes.
                  Including trailer weight that is pretty accurate. I pulled mine originally with an 04 F250 SD 4x4 V10 6 speed manual. No problem. Most 28 twin engine gas powered boats are around 11,500# to 12,000# fully loaded and fueled.
                  "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Originally posted by noluck View Post
                    your boat weighs around 15,000 lb. i have towed with a f450 with no issue, even without trailer brakes
                    Yup, that master cylinder was completely frozen!

Mine was 14500(right Dave?) on that trip with 700# of extraneous junk on top of 90 gal fuel, 30 gal water, 10 gal black. Trailer weight(had to scale for title application) is 3280#. That puts my twin 350 v-drive 28 right at 10k reasonable achievable trailering weight(agree with Bill on full loadout weight, even more for a long trip!).

Cue Apella for semi truck tow rig pic...

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4201.JPG Views:	0 Size:	396.1 KB ID:	66282Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2222.JPG Views:	0 Size:	428.2 KB ID:	66281
                      Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post

Cue Apella for semi truck tow rig pic...
                      There is nothing like towing with a big truck, I barely can tell Appella is behind me.
                      Its not so much the weight of our 28's, it's the bulk and the wind resistance.

Since Appella is moored full time now, I am thinking about selling if you are interested.
                      Last edited by Appella; 03-08-2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

How much you thinking?

Comment

Around $20k +or-

Comment

Working...
                          X