28 dual And tripple trailer first attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 dual And tripple trailer first attempt

I bought the 28’ as a safe family commuter one year ago. One motor had a blown head gasket. Job completed in 3 short days. Ran perfect. Went for a cruise.. good motor died. Thought it was the carb. Nope. Thought it jumped a tooth. Broke the Distrubitor. New Distrubitor hard to find left hand gear bastard. Been moored for a year. Said screw it. Bought an aluminum 20000# trailer today. Bunks gotta be adjust and hope all goes well. Big boat big trailer. Any advice for the bunks so I don’t send the shafts? Pretty critical I’m told. Any trailer bunk advise will help save time at the boat lift and ultimately $$. I know it’s the right trailer, the right boat, but this needs to be perfect. When it’s done she’s gonna be one great setup!

is the trailer set up for slings?
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

i sent you a pm with my contact info
      1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Originally posted by noluck View Post
        is the trailer set up for slings?
        Very important if time is an issue with boat yard.You need about 16-18 x 3-4 inches of spacing for slings passing thru the bunks AND they need to be located where the ideal sling location is on the hull.
        "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Somewhat related... does anyone have the sling location measurements? Or is it a fairly wide rule of thumb type range?

Comment

Mike, depends on your set up. With v drives, mine is best with the stern sling just before the railing walk thru. That still allows clearance to the shafts and catches on the rear of the keel. See attached from my haul out last Monday. With stern drives it might be very different and further aft.
            Attached Files
            Glas-Hawk
            Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
            1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
            1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

Previous Affairs
            1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
            1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
            1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
            1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc http://www.glasply.org/vb4/core/images/smilies/cool.png
            1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
            2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

Awesome thanks, saved that picture. Next time I haul mine I’m considering slinging to trailer rather than dunking it and worrying about getting it centered/scuffing bottom paint with crappy rollers.

Comment

Mike, have you priced Yachtfish Marine’s sling service? They’re pretty proud of that thing!
                -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Comment

I have, and yes they are...

Comment

What should I use to give me the 3/4” clearance? Plywood? Then jack up the boat and remove them?

Comment

to get the slings through, probably need 1 1/2"

Comment

Originally posted by noluck View Post
                        to get the slings through, probably need 1 1/2"
                        You will never get slings thru in Seaview Norths yard in Bellingham without jacking up boat. I have two 2x6 (3 clearance) cut outs for slings to be pulled thru. I originally had just one 2x6 (1.5 clearance) and it was very hard to get them thru. Seaview has 1.5 x 14 slings and had to jack my boat up to get them thru. After boat was off trailer I installed another layer of 2x6 boards.
                        "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Glashawk View Post
                          Mike, depends on your set up. With v drives, mine is best with the stern sling just before the railing walk thru. That still allows clearance to the shafts and catches on the rear of the keel.
                          I have rear sling cutouts on trailer set to put sling about 6" forward of where shafts exit hull to props. The front cutouts are about 6-10 forward of Glashawks front sling location. I have V-drives as you do.

Comment

Thanks for the info Bill

Comment

Bill, when I hauled the rear sling was holding ~8000#s and the front was ~3800. So the further fwd towards the bow continues to lighten the front sling load while putting more weight on rear. I’m not saying your location is wrong as every boat is loaded differently. The operator originally had his front sling further fwd and moved it backwards to gain a little more balanced weight...if you can call 32% in the front/68% rear balanced.
                              Glas-Hawk
                              Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
                              1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
                              1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

Previous Affairs
                              1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
                              1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
                              1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
                              1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc http://www.glasply.org/vb4/core/images/smilies/cool.png
                              1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
                              2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

Working...
                              X