Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not try and launch in Everett at a negative tide... Sure the line is short, but it ain't pretty getting out. lol

Comment

Torn bridge seat from overhead beam in my shop...didn't realize what 2-3" of added driveway gravel would do or didn't even think about it... and the power Chord Bill V mentioned, yup, did that same thing at Anacortes last year but my Best Mate caught it just before it was too late and full throttle reverse stopped a catastrophe...

Comment

I hear bilges fill up quick without a drain plug..

I was making trailer adjustments and had everything set, pulled the boat out and was ready to roll. Then I realized one last adjustment - I had been so busy adjusting the winch height and bunks, I had assumed my last mast adjustment was still on. It wasn't. So, I put it back in the water...

...ever try to move a 23, chest deep in water with a full bilge and still filling...
        Last edited by Kaiser; 06-20-2017, 09:58 PM.
        1978 17' Runabout - AQ120B/270
        1978 23' Cuddy

Comment

It's been months since we've had a contribution to "Don't ask me how I know ....." Come on, hasn't anyone had an eager dockboy try to fill up your fuel tank through a rod holder?
          The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Socal View Post
            It's been months since we've had a contribution to "Don't ask me how I know ....." Come on, hasn't anyone had an eager dockboy try to fill up your fuel tank through a rod holder?
            NEVER have your water tank filled by someone who can't tell the difference between a "GAS" lettered cap and a "WATER" lettered cap. Took on 20 gallons of water this summer into 1/2 full fuel tank. Good thing gas floats on water. Disconnect electric fuel pump and pump tank until gas finally comes out.
            Last edited by Bill V; 10-10-2017, 07:19 AM.
            "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Always remember to put the plug in, AND remove the stern tie downs!
              GlasPly72PDX
              Play'n Hooky
              1972 GlasPly 171 Runabout
              Mercruiser 120 I/O

Comment

Yup, and yet another one.. was putting our boat back in our shop, got it backed in, then needed to raise the new radar arch high enough so we could get into the boat. The radar arch hinges down on the aft deck area basically making it difficult to get into the boat. So, I raised it up then tied it to a ceiling rafter with a load strap to hold it up. started doing some other stuff, basically forgot about it (maybe 5 seconds at my age), then realized I needed to lower the outdrives for winter which then gives me more room to back up further into the shop... of course, forgetting I tied the arch off to the rafters.....Luckily the Mrs. was helping and screamed before I did any serious damage..wtf...

Comment

Originally posted by GlasPly72PDX View Post
                  Always remember to put the plug in, AND remove the stern tie downs!
                  I watched this happen to a guy as we put in... wondered why he was having such a hard time and as we idled away from the dock I saw his straps under the swim step! Poor guy was mortified.

Originally posted by weigh2go View Post
                  Yup, and yet another one.. was putting our boat back in our shop, got it backed in, then needed to raise the new radar arch high enough so we could get into the boat. The radar arch hinges down on the aft deck area basically making it difficult to get into the boat. So, I raised it up then tied it to a ceiling rafter with a load strap to hold it up. started doing some other stuff, basically forgot about it (maybe 5 seconds at my age), then realized I needed to lower the outdrives for winter which then gives me more room to back up further into the shop... of course, forgetting I tied the arch off to the rafters.....Luckily the Mrs. was helping and screamed before I did any serious damage..wtf...
                  That could have been very interesting.

Comment

Any launch ramp and the Ballard Locks in the evening at the end of the weekend, best no-cost entertainment you can find.
                    The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

boat launches

Years ago while hanging out at the Snohomish boat launch enjoying a cold refreshment and the show on a beautiful sunny day, large aluminum jet boat pulls in, a guy and his gal, guy jumps out and proceeds to his van and boat trailer to back down the ramp. Being a full size van he opened the back doors to increase his visibility for backing down the ramp. Once his boat trailer was in the water he told his gal to drive it on the trailer. She was being really careful, and cautious. She then yelled for the guy to back it down a little more, he yelled back "give it some gas" she gave it a little and then replied back, "you need to back it down a little more". This really pissed the guy off and with a stern voice he yells back " give it some f...ing gas". well, she hit the throttle, that boat shot out of the water, snapped off the front of the trailer (where the hand crank winch sits, not sure what you call it) and proceeded to wedge itself in the back of the van. big shouting match after that.

Comment

Great story - Let’s have more!!

Comment

Port Orchard boat launch. The family and I finished dinner at a restaurant right near there and watched as what had to have been a big >26-footer was being launched. Before the stern even got close to the water (i.e., above the high water zone on the ramp), the boat rolled right off the trailer and landed hard on the stern drive, its bow pointed toward the heavens. They proceeded to reattach the bow cable and crank it down enough to lift the stern off the ground, but weren't getting very far with that idea by the time we had to get going.

Because of witnessing that event, I will always leave my winch strap attached to the bow eye until the stern is over the water.

Another time at the same launch, just a few months ago, in fact, I saw a guy having a hell of a time trying to get his boat off the trailer. It was well into the water, but just wouldn't go. He fired it up and tried powering it off. I noticed from the motion of the boat that it appeared the stern straps were still attached. It was one of those boats with the molded-in swimstep so in the water it was hard to see the transom, but I walked down to try to take a look and did see the bitter end of a strap down there. I pointed it out to the guy and he was the perfect mix of thankful for the observation and embarrassed by the oversight!

As Socal says, fantastic entertainment!
                          -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                          1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                          1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Comment

Binford that was exactly the case with the one we saw, molded step hiding the straps. The poor guy should have given up on the day... when we returned from crabbing he was paddling about 400' from the boat ramp-we towed him the rest of the way.

Comment

If a seat seems heavier than it should be, it might be because someone replaced the wood with 1/2 aluminum plate!

Click image for larger version

Name:	439A5009-938D-4495-B469-9E82FAE87570.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	53764

Comment

Lot’s of support but not very comfortable. Also may deflect errant gunfire from below. ��

Comment

Working...
                                X