Destination for anniversary trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destination for anniversary trip

Hey Alaskan Glasplygians, I'm looking for a little advice. My wife and I are celebrating out 20th anniversary this year and I'm trying to come up with a good 4-5 day trip and am thinking Alaska might be a good option. It looks like Anchorage may be the easiest to fly in to with stuff to do fairly close. We would be interested in general sightseeing, a day fishing on a charter, and maybe another day on a tour. Whittier looks like it might be a viable destination. Not trying to do it on a shoestring budget but don't want to get too extravagant. Suggestions?
    They civilize left, they civilize right, 'til nothing is left and nothing is right. (Ben Rumson)

Never been to Alaska, Arne, but apparently a number of Forum members have -- or actually live there! Hope you and your wife have a fantastic time, no matter what you do.
    2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Comment

Arne,
      Huge State. Would take many trips to see it all. Options: Cruise from Seattle or Vancouver BC. Fly to Anchorage and take Alaska railroad to Fairbanks. You can charter a float plane out of Anchorage and be in great fishing territory within an hour.
      Southeast Alaska towns are smaller and along the Coast, accessible by air or boat.
      if you get to Fairbanks check out AKGramps (John) redesigned and rebuilt and if my memory is correct has your old motor for power.
      Wherever you go, you will never forget the place.
      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

I ended up booking flights and lodging in Ketchikan. We don't have time this year to do a real Alaska experience trip. It's more of a long weekend at the coast kind of thing but I figured I should upgrade from the Oregon coast for our 20th. Someday we'll get up there and spend a couple of weeks visiting more remote areas and maybe get up to see John and my old Glasply powerplant.
        They civilize left, they civilize right, 'til nothing is left and nothing is right. (Ben Rumson)

Comment

Working...
        X