Possible new 10 year Chinook proposal from state

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible new 10 year Chinook proposal from state

Not sure of the exact details of the proposed catch for rec. fisherman but it sounds like they want to limit recreational fishing to 8% of the total catch. This is a huge decrease in our catch (we were already at all time lows). I have not been able to find the proposal on line I only heard the last of an interview with one of the PSA gents on the outdoor line on the radio yesterday. But again the WDFW is failing in there attempts to try to help correct the problems. The Calif. Sea lion issues are being ignored, lack of proper spawning habitat in some of the rivers is being ignored. Money that was supposed to go to spawning restoration projects was pulled and put towards a special interest group to help educate the general public of there issues.
    (that last statement came from a friend that sits on a budget committee in Olympia). I'm not sure what can be done I would like a little more information on the proposed 10 year plan but it seems hard to find anything yet. If anyone can find the proposal on line or has more information please post it so we can all be better informed on what is going on.

That proposal is way over 300 pages long. It doesn't look good to our chances to wet a line in local salt>>>>>>>>>>

Comment

I found it, it's allot of reading but it doesn't look good.

Comment

I pretty much waded thru it yesterday and it's not good for those that fish saltwater. This management plan will affect the Chinook fishery in Coastal Oregon, Washington, BC, and Alaska. Many of the "wild" fish runs are low or 'threatened" due to the loss of habitat, and to increase the run size takes money in habitat restoration. They will act to reduce interactions with wild fish to reduce "drop off" mortality rates, and push fishing efforts from salt water to terminal areas / rivers to better control the harvest. Coastal BC and Alaska will be affected as a fairly large percentage of Stilly and Skagit Chinook are caught in these areas.

Comment

Wonder what effect it will have on Canadian limits for Kings and Silvers? Presently you're allowed 30 Kings a year or 2 per day and 4 in possession.
          "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Bill, it's all negotiated with existing treaties....but, nothing happens in 2018, this starts in 2019. I suspect the bag and catch limits will change in BC and AK. Silvers may not be affected unless there are interactions with Chinook...

Comment

It was also stated that wdf estimates that the Pinniped predation on salmon is greater than the commercial and recreational catch combined. I have a suggestion for that....Since the state wont manage the seal population, and neither will the Feds, I think the tribes should be turned loose on them. Ceremonial catch - check. Sell tags to hunters - check. Seal Grand Slam - check. Happy hunting!

Comment

Its nice to see people talking about this. Ive mentioned this at some of the local business that stay alive on fishing dollars, none had heard of it. Ive ask if I could but up a flier on their doors to inform fisherman on this issue. Most have said yes but one large one said they can't be political. Last time I will buy anything there.

Time to support Puget Sound Anglers and Change.org to open North of Falcon . Write the Gov and your Reps. They look for $ and votes.

The fisheries management plan has been proven to not work. Hatchery Fish are# low and wild fish # keep going down, Orcas are starving.
                Somethings can't change easily but running the Hatchers at full capacity would be a start.

Comment

IMHO NOF meetings will never be opened up to the public. The tribes host these meetings and since they are independant governments, we have no power. We could request information under the Freedom Of Information Act, but the reports provided would be old news by the time they are received. I suspect the actual answer would be "we don't keep notes so there is nothing to report" and that the minutes are kept by the tribes. Secret fuckery if you ask me.

Comment

The WDFW's analysis that the main reason for the continued low/declining wild fish stocks is loss of habitat (convenient for them as habitat restoration comes out of someone elses budget) and that the habitat the wild fish occupy is at carrying capacity, so that even if the wild fish population increases the rivers will not support additional output of smolts/fry.

Habitat restoration takes a long time (regulations, permits, EIS reports, etc) and is very expensive. Coupled with the population growth in the Puget Sound area, and the state legislature has seemingly put a very low priority on funding habitat restoration (Elwha funded by the feds I believe), our wild fish stocks are in real trouble.

Comment

I can just imagine the melee that would result if the NOF meetings being open to the public. As a famous actor/politician once said "trust but verify". I don't know whether the tribes are living up to these agreements, because nobody knows what they are. Are they catching more than their share? Who knows. They do supply catch tickets when they land their catch, but how real are those? Nobody but the tribes know.

This issue could be resolved by the Feds. Back in the 1980's there were Russian fishing vessels fishing in US waters delivering to Russian factory processors. To help insure that catch records were accurate National Marine Fisheries Service placed "Observers" on the catcher vessels and they recorded and reported the catch. National Marine Fisheries Service could do the exact same thing here, but instead of Observers on the boats, put Observers on-shore where the catches are delivered. This way we would know exactly what is going on.

I do think the Tribes understand what's at stake and do work pretty closely with WDFW. There just needs to be a lot more openness around the whole issue.

Comment

Originally posted by rstallbaum View Post
                        The WDFW's analysis .
                        And that is the problem, they are like weathermen.

Comment

here is a link to the plan

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01947/

Comment

Working...
                          X