This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIN Identifier

Tim, I think that this is approximately what Socal posted - His looked much better, but I think that the information is there.

Attached Files
    Deep-V

To argue with someone who has abandoned reason, is like giving medicine to a dead man
    Thomas Paine

Does the year of manufacture represented by the HIN correspond to the catalog year? I ask because I am considering buying a Glasply with a 1979 HIN number. However, page 2 of the 1979 catalog says "The 1978 models are our newest expression of our continuing dream."

This could just be a typographical error. On the other hand, maybe it means that I should be looking at the 1980 catalogue for a description and specifications relating to the boat during the 1979 HIN.

Can anyone assist?

Comment

You're splittin hairs penguin. The catalogs were not all that accurate. Many of these boats had custom options from individuals ordering. After 1978 and before Jerry C. these boats bones were all the same to a particular model. As for fuel consumption in any boat if you have to ask you better pass. Tell your wife its only paper!

Comment

Penguin,

The 1979 Catalog has a red cover and I cannot find any page numbers in it. It was printed in August of 1978 and has images of GP's from the previous year. The spec sheets shown in the catalog should be consistent with the 1979 models. As 78ccman says, GP did a lot of custom work for customers so there will be interior differences between models. Also the owners have modified these hulls over the years to suit their particular needs. The main point on 1979 and forward hulls is the FRP stringers. Forum members can provide details on their particular boat models. Some FRP stringers appeared in 1978 hulls.
        Years ago I rented a 20' travel trailer for a family vacation. Pulled it from Seattle over the Cascades and all four barrels on my 1970 Buick were wide open. I met a guy in the campground who had a similar trailer and I asked him what kind of fuel mileage he got when towing. His answer has stuck with me for many years - "Don't know, when the tank is empty, I just fill it up again". Appropriate to boats also.
        Boats burn lots of fuel, just remember to be aware of your operating range and maintain enough reserve fuel to get you home.
        Last edited by Socal; 05-07-2016, 04:52 PM.
        The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

More detail on HIN nmbers. Note format change on August 1, 1984. Most of the boats on our forum will be GPL = Glasply industries - now North Pacific Marine Holdings/Questar of Canada, Albert Lindstrom, in business 1972; GPI = GlasPly HiTech, Ken Hopen in business 1989; GPO = GlasPly, Jerry Caldwell, in business 1990.
          All data taken from internet so it has to be valid and correct ......
          Reminder: Make sure your ownership documents match the HIN, and the HIN remains visible after any modifications to the transom or rubrail. No visible HIN may cause local law enforcement to replace your nylon mooring line with a big chain and lock.
          Hull ID Numbers

Play the Numbers Game (What's a HIN?) Did you ever wonder what that strange series of letters and numbers on the transom of your boat are. Well, if you have taken the Nautical Know How course you know they are Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) and that they are required. But, what do they mean?
          All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN. The HIN is a 12 character serial number that uniquely identifies your boat. The HIN has an important safety purpose. It enables manufacturers to clearly identify for boat owners the boats that are involved in a defect notification and recall campaign. A HIN is not the same as a State registration number, which may be required to be displayed on the bow of your boat. The HIN is a Federal requirement; your boat’s registration number is a State requirement similar to the license plate on your car. The HIN, however, is required to be shown on the State certificate of registration.
          AUG
          SEP
          OCT
          NOV
          DEC
          JAN
          A
          B
          C
          D
          E
          F
          FEB
          MAR
          APR
          MAY
          JUN
          JUL
          G
          H
          I
          J
          K
          L
          *Key to Month of Model YearFigure 1 - HIN Formats Before August 1, 1984
          The boat manufacturer must display two identical hull identification numbers, no less than one-fourth of an inch high, on each boat hull. The primary HIN must be permanently affixed (so that it can be seen from outside the boat) to the starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to the transom, the HIN must be affixed to the starboard outboard side of the hull, aft within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of hull side, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. The starboard outboard side of the hull aft is the preferred HIN location for many manufacturers. On catamarans and pontoon boats the HIN must be affixed on the aft crossbeam within one foot of the starboard hull attachment.
          JAN
          FEB
          MAR
          APR
          MAY
          JUN
          A
          B
          C
          D
          E
          F
          JUL
          AUG
          SEP
          OCT
          NOV
          DEC
          G
          H
          I
          J
          K
          L
          Figure 2 - HIN Format After August 1, 1984
          Boats manufactured or imported on or after August 1, 1984, also have a duplicate secondary HIN affixed somewhere on an unexposed location inside the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware. The purpose is to help authorities identify your boat if a thief or vandals remove or damage the primary HIN on the transom. It is illegal for anyone (manufacturer, dealer, distributor, or owner) to alter or remove a HIN without the express written authorization of the Commandant, U.S. Coast Guard.
          The regulations prescribe the format of the HIN. The first three characters are a MIC (Manufacturer Identification Code) assigned by the Coast Guard to the manufacturer or the person importing the boat; characters four through eight are a serial number assigned by the manufacturer; the last four characters indicate the month and year the boat was built, and the model year. Prior to August 1, 1984, the manufacturer had the option of expressing this in the form of a model year designation.
          The Coast Guard maintains a searchable database of MICs if you want to check yours out - click here.
          Individuals building boats for their own use and not for the purposes of sale are what are referred to as "backyard boat builders." They must obtain a 12 character HIN from their State boating agency. The Manufacturer Identification Code at the beginning of the HIN for a "home built" boat is an abbreviation for the State followed by a "Z" which indicates that it is a State identification.
          The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

HIN update
            Just found a note Jerry Caldwell sent me a few years ago in response to my question on HINs.
            There are 12 characters in each HIN
            First three are manufacturer's designated code by the Coast Guard.
            GPL is most common
            GPO was the code assigned to Jerry Caldwell who says there were possibly five different incarnations of the company
            First two numbers indicated hull length
            The next three numbers were the number of boats built in that same model year.
            Next character was month of build - A = January and so on.
            Next character is a single digit for the year built, i.e. '3' for the year 2003.
            The last two characters had to be a two digit representation of the model year i.e. '04' for 2004
            So on a Caldwell era boat HIN = GPO, there will may be a difference between the year built and the model year.

GPO10001J304 is a 103 GP Dinghy, 10'3" long and first boat of that size built in the model year of
            2004 in the month of October 2003. Model year changed on September 1, each year
            A 1979 19' GP with a HIN of GP 17936M79J7. Would be 17' long, 936 in production (must be over
            a period of time - not just one year).
            'M' is year built 1979, 'J' would be month built (October), '7' unknown.

The first 7' dinghy built by Caldwell was the 100th boat they built and was labeled GPO007001?404, built for the 1994 IMTEC manufacturers boat show in Chicago.
            Jerry Caldwell was building boats from January 1, 1991 through late summer 1997.

Comment

HIN's revisited:
              Current issue of Boat US Magazine has some information on HIN's. Coast Guard required boat builders to use August 1 of the previous year as the cutoff date for the next model year. A boat built in July 2000 would be a 2000 model, while the same boat built in August 2000 would be a 2001 year model. In August 2012, the Coast Guard changed the build cutoff date to June 1, giving the manufacturers two extra months of production to qualify for next year's model. Coast Guard uses the date the builder says the boat meets federal regulations. Once stamped into the hull, the HIN becomes the boat's model year and may not be the year it was finished.
              Example in article ABC12345D404:
              ABC: CG assigned mft ID code. Go to www.uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification.code to access CG's data base. Early GlasPly's are GPL, GPO (Jerry Caldwell), and GPI, Ken Hopen in 1989.
              12345 Mfg assigned hull serial number. Most early GP's begin with hull length
              D: Month of certification or when hull construction began - After 1984, A = January and so on.l
              4: Year of certification, last digit of year in which hull was built
              04: Indicates boat's model year
              Molly Brown's HIN is GPL28267M82D, a 1982 28' Long Cabin, production number 267, built November, 1982. 40 production numbers behind, and a build month in September, weigh2go is also a 28 LC with twin outdrives and a HIN which ends in '-10'. The mystery of the meaning on the numbers at the end of the HIN continues.

Comment

Working...
              X