26 glasply with cummins sea trial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26 glasply with cummins sea trial

Made my first sea trial in my 26 with 6bt5.9 cummins and borg warner v-drive in Port Angeles harbor last Fri. Top speed 21.5 knots @ 2600. New trim tabs worked great. Cruising speed 18 knots. Tachometers not accurate and I was alone so I couldn't check with my hand held. New projects this week include galvanic isolator, new smart switch shore power plug, old one burnt at hull connection, new battery charger, someone wired in automotive type, clean up wireing in engine space.

do you have a boost gauge or/and pyro?
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Originally posted by noluck View Post
      do you have a boost gauge or/and pyro?
      Noluck, No boost or pyro. I have a heat gun next time I will check temps. I also am curious about fuel consumption. Have you checked yours? I have a 110 gallon tank. I am curious how far that will take me. I am hopeing for 3-4 gph at 18 knots. I haven't figured out yet how to determine accurately without flowscan. Mayby run it out of a 5 gal bucket for awhile.

Comment

i average 5.5 gph at 24 knt,and i have a flowscan. i think i am going to find a 1:78 ratio upper that will drop me 200 rpm at get alittle better fuel milage. i really have no load on the engine only 900 degree(pre turbo) and 9 lbs of boost
        1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

My boat is borg warner v-drive, 21x22 4blade prop. My problem is it idles at about 4 knots. I can slow the idle down to 3.5. Hopefully I will be able to troll without outboard. I might have to drag a barn door or something. Smaller prop means slower top end. Previous owner had a 18x20 3blade and it would only do 13 knots. I really like what you have done with your boat. The cummins is the reason I bought this boat , it is a 1990 6bt 5.9 12valve 210 HP all original and mechanical. No electronics. Lots of sound insulation required. Your 4BT a lot quieter and probably more horsepower, great choice.

Comment

what idle speed are you at? what i have found with mine is i idle at 5 knt, and that has not changed even with the change of 6 inches of pitch from 25 to 31 and i really need 35, i truly believe our boats get to a certain speed and it does not change with more pitch, simply because the water just sheds of the blades with no cort nozzle to hold the water. if you have a prop with more pitch i would try it

Comment

what idle speed are you at? what i have found with mine is i idle at 5 knt, and that has not changed even with the change of 6 inches of pitch from 25 to 31 and i really need 35, i truly believe our boats get to a certain speed and it does not change with more pitch, simply because the water just sheds of the blades with no cort nozzle to hold the water. if you have a prop with more pitch i would try it
              Not sure what the idle is set at , my tach is not accurate. I will get more info at the next sea trial when I can get a ridealong for skipper then I can hang out in the engineers state room and monitor conditions. Wheel pitch I will check with exhaust temp under full load conditions. 900 degrees sounds about right to me for a continuous load. Interesting thought about the hull speed at idle, it does seem to slide along easily. This is my first experience with a glasply, very impressive so far

Comment

if you need a hand let me know i will come down

Comment

if you need a hand let me know i will come down
                  ^^^^^ This is an offer you SHOULD accept!!!

Comment

I agree, take Dave's offer.

Comment

Originally posted by 18ftTrophy View Post
                      I agree, take Dave's offer.
                      Dave, Thank you for the offer. I don't need help just yet. I would like to meet up sometime. I would like to make a trip to your neighborhood sometime when I get it all sorted out. I am a marine diesel mechanic here in Port Angeles. Should say boat mechanic. I do this stuff everyday for customers, I thought I knew better than to buy my own, I get offers to go all the time., boating, fishing, sea trials, but the cummins sold me the glasply. Mike

Comment

Sounds good Mike, i knew you don't need help in that sense, just really wanted to check out your boat. Dave

Comment

Dave If you are in P.A. sometime we will go for a boat ride. I will get some pics out soon. All That I have now are in the yard, engine not installed yet. I need to catch up.

Comment

Working...
                          X