What cruise and Top Speed do you run in your 28'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wally,
    Our 28 'Gassers' may get to their destination quicker, but will spend more time and $ at the fuel dock. That 3 mpg is impressive! Here's to clean bottoms. Glad the boats working out for you.
    The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
      Thanks to everyone on your input.
      Well, I "thought' Ocean Fury's bottom was clean... Had it cleaned/dived. Made a nice weeks run to the San Juan's. What a difference a hull cleaning makes! Cruise easy at 13-15 knots. Ran up to 4k max at 22.5 Knots! 8.5 GPH and purred.

Love this old Glasply!
      Wally, my 28 with twin Yanmar 240’s runs at 27knots WOT~3400rpm and cruises economically about 17knots ~2400rpm. Avg fuel consumption is 4-5gph per engine. That was all figured recently on my San Juan trip and I think I’m due for a pressure wash on the bottom.��. Happy boating!
      Glas-Hawk
      Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
      2002 10ft w/15hp Merc 4 stroke - Glas-Hawk2
      1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
      Previous Affairs
      1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
      1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
      1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
      1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc
      1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)

Comment

Originally posted by Glashawk View Post
        Wally, my 28 with twin Yanmar 240’s runs at 27knots WOT~3400rpm and cruises economically about 17knots ~2400rpm. Avg fuel consumption is 4-5gph per engine. That was all figured recently on my San Juan trip and I think I’m due for a pressure wash on the bottom.��. Happy boating!
        I would not at all be surprised to find your boat underpropped. I know of a uniflight 28 Salty Dog that has Yanmar 230’s and runs out at 34-35mph at WOT.
        "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
          Thanks to everyone on your input.
          Well, I "thought' Ocean Fury's bottom was clean... Had it cleaned/dived. Made a nice weeks run to the San Juan's. What a difference a hull cleaning makes! Cruise easy at 13-15 knots. Ran up to 4k max at 22.5 Knots! 8.5 GPH and purred.

Love this old Glasply!
          Wow, sounds like you were dragging an anchor! (hull cleaning)

Comment

Those Yanmar 240's are terrific! You've got 60% more HP than my twin TAMD31's. (150 ea v/s 240 ea)

I will never again complain about paying for a bottom cleaning!

Comment

Working...
            X