Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have noticed a trend of re-powering with brackets and new four strokes. That says something about our boats, and something about the price of new boats. I think most boat builders nowadays are out of touch with most people's income.
    Even if I could afford a new boat, I think I would rather have my boat with new power. Twin 300 outboards on a 28'?

Comment

• Right on Eric! The pull chain on our 30 year old ceiling fan broke last week, took a $10 part to repair + a service call. Service guy said 'they don't build them like this anymore'. 15 year old clothes drier died recently and the service guy said the same thing. Old, well built appliances/equipment and old, well built boats like ours last for a long time. You won't find the design and construction standards in our boats in very few if any new hulls. A 28' boat can be 8'-10' wide so interior space is not great. New production boat designs pushed the cabins out to the gunnels to get more interior room. This restricts access to the bow through the forward hatch - a big inconvenience. Haven't been to a boat show recently, but I would guess a new 28' anything will cost over $100k. If you have had a GP(s) for a while you know what they can and cannot (not much) do on the water and have the confidence that you will get home. Brackets have become of age and have plenty of advantages, free up cockpit space, tilt up drive unit out of the water, more accessible powerheads, possibly better fuel economy.
      So, go for it Appella, I'm still waiting to see a bracketed 28. Rumor is there is one under construction in Alaska. But you could be the first in the lower 48.
      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

• You're spot on Eric & Jim, but just my opinion that there's still good options with new Outdrives/Engines or repowering inboards both with new technology. Can't even describe or tell you how much difference there is in our new Mercs 6.2's with Bravo 3's compared to what we had, none. We rapidly passed two Cutwaters and one Ranger Tug coming south yesterday down Georgia Straight. We had been in smooth waters then the South Easterly picked up, yes it was bouncy but as we passed those boats, both were taking water over the front, slugging it out. For over 2 hours in that crap, doing 30-32 mph we never took anything over the bow, not even any spray. And I guarantee those Cutwaters/Ranger Tugs averaged out at 180-200K depending on options. We may not have all the bells and whistles they do, but....

Comment

• What part of ‘bow flare’ design did the designers of Rangers & Cutlwaters’ miss?
          Good to hear you’re repower is working out so well.
          The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

• I can only dream of 30 knots, when we first got our boat, with a low hour engine, and less weight, I could do that at WOT.
            My problem is, the transom is built for a single inboard, and inboards as we know are less efficient, as the prop is pushing the stern up. Repower options for me max out at 430HP, unless I go with a bracket, or major hull re-configure ($$$$$$)
            You guys with twin outdrives have the best setup in in my opinion.

Wave to us as you fly by, we will be the ones slogging behind the Ranger Tugs for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Appella View Post
              I can only dream of 30 knots, when we first got our boat, with a low hour engine, and less weight, I could do that at WOT.
              My problem is, the transom is built for a single inboard, and inboards as we know are less efficient, as the prop is pushing the stern up. Repower options for me max out at 430HP, unless I go with a bracket, or major hull re-configure ($$$$$$)
              You guys with twin outdrives have the best setup in in my opinion.

Wave to us as you fly by, we will be the ones slogging behind the Ranger Tugs for now.
              You're a prime candidate for a bracket, go for it!! not sure how you're going to manage your dingy though...

Comment

• Speaking of brackets. How much OB power would it take to push a 28 LC to 51 mph?

Comment

• Originally posted by Socal View Post
                  Speaking of brackets. How much OB power would it take to push a 28 LC to 51 mph?
                  Probably 700.

Comment

• Oh, you kids. With my very thirsty Mercruisers, I rarely exceed 15 knots. Why? Because I can't afford the effing fuel bills once I start goosing it! Last year I took the boat to the San Joaquin Delta and back, a round trip of just under 200 miles. Granted, the boat was very heavily laden, but the ultimate gas bill was heart attack inducing. At one marina, my credit card was declined; I called about it, and they said they were concerned that someone was spending so much money on gasoline at marinas at which I had no history. They figured it was stolen.

I have just had the starboard engine's carb rebuilt, which seems to be helping. Now I'm saving boat-bucks to do the other side. Still, I do not hope for miracles. I love my GP, but it's an expensive obsession, no mistake. (But -- my wife tells me it's cheaper than a mistress, which I suppose is true.)
                    2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Comment

• Love the credit card story. Hard to believe the unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow ...would be perceived to be a boat Thief!

Comment

• Originally posted by Socal View Post
                        Love the credit card story. Hard to believe the unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow ...would be perceived to be a boat Thief!
                        Ah, that reminds me, Smee, what what the mileage from your house to Anacortes? Just wondering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Smee View Post
                          Oh, you kids. With my very thirsty Mercruisers, I rarely exceed 15 knots. Why? Because I can't afford the effing fuel bills once I start goosing it! Last year I took the boat to the San Joaquin Delta and back, a round trip of just under 200 miles. Granted, the boat was very heavily laden, but the ultimate gas bill was heart attack inducing. At one marina, my credit card was declined; I called about it, and they said they were concerned that someone was spending so much money on gasoline at marinas at which I had no history. They figured it was stolen.

I have just had the starboard engine's carb rebuilt, which seems to be helping. Now I'm saving boat-bucks to do the other side. Still, I do not hope for miracles. I love my GP, but it's an expensive obsession, no mistake. (But -- my wife tells me it's cheaper than a mistress, which I suppose is true.)
                          Aren’t you twin inboard/v drive like me? I’ve found gph is worse at high 20’s(which makes sense) but mpg is about the same as hull speed. Seems to like being 5-10 over planing speed. Direction of current can make hull speed either much more efficient or much less when you look at how much gas burned going from a to b. Also noticed a large difference in time to plane with an inflatable vs a gp dinghy on the back.

Comment

• 28 GP with twins may/can/will average 1.0 to 1.15 mpg at cruise.
                            So Mr. Smee’s river cruise probably consumed nearly 200 gl. Of fossil fuel. 8 to 10 boat bucks. Cheaper than a pair of season tickets or as noted in Smee’s post, a mistress.

Comment

• There were 4 GP's at the Camano State launch yesterday including my "REEL FAST", one was "dragginbait" I was a bit bust so I did not say hi.

Comment

• A well-used 19 at McKay Bay Lodge in Bamfield BC last week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	54378

Comment

Working...
                                X