Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to site, new 1977 Hardtop for me!

Hello All,

I just picked up what I think is a great boat in excellent condition. '77 23' Hardtop with a Mercruiser 233 engine and drive. Compression was good, nearly even across all cylinders. I am going to replace the distributor and coil, new plugs/wires, put a new water pump in it, and put a carb kit in.

I'd love to get any feedback on this engine and any known issues/concerns and what is known about this vintage of boat...i.e. wood stringers or no? Transom issues or otherwise.

Thanks and I look forward to sharing as my project progresses and I get out on the water for some fall fishing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150624_143040.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	55383
    Attached Files

Welcome aboard, Outdoorzman! Glad to see you finally made it in okay!
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Comment

Welcome :Outdorzman

Look at the end of the fourm where there is a collection of GP brochures which will describe your boat. Most likely your boat has wooden stringers as the transition to FRP came in 1978-9.
      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Welcome to the forum,
        I do believe that the boat you have used to be called TNT, it belonged to a couple who took great care of it. As Socal said it does have wood stringers and transom which can rot and need replacing. Otherwise your power plant is nothing to out of the ordinary which means parts will be easy find when needed. Keep the posts and pics coming as you continue working on her

Comment

Is that the boat from Des Moines?
          1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
          1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
          8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

The mercruiser 233 (351 ford small block) is a good motor. Ford stopped making marine engines for the most part in the 80's I believe. You will mostly find chev 305's and 350's

However 351's are an extremely popular platform and parts are plentiful. Once you get some time on the boat and you feel like you need more power there are several good swaps. Simply converting to a 4bbl carb will greatly increase airflow and power. Also a good tune up and proper timing. Poor timing can easily suck 30-50hp out of these engines.

Or you can supercharge it like I'm doing

I'd be interested in hearing your prop pitch and your top speed as well as optimized cruising speed for reference.

Welcome to the site!!

Comment

Originally posted by nova7163 View Post
              Is that the boat from Des Moines?
              sure looks like it from pictures

Comment

I thought they were keeping it to put a big block in it.
                1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
                1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
                8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by Binford View Post
                  Welcome aboard, Outdoorzman! Glad to see you finally made it in okay!
                  I appreciate your help getting online, thanks!

Comment

Yes it is from Des Moines. Chris was going to keep it and put a big block in it but decided to move it quickly due to small issues with owner of boat not wanting to sell right away.

Comment

Good info, thanks Jasonfast! I was thinking of swapping out the carb, for now I am going to do the basics and check performance then making changes and upgrades.

I think I'll have to do timing once I install the new Flame Thrower distributor and coil, any advice on what to expect would be great!

Once I get back on the boat here in a week and start the work I'll share the prop pitch and other info.

Thanks!

Comment

If that's TNT, it was on eBay a couple times while it was parked at Yachtfish Marine in Port Orchard.
                        -- Tim Taylor

Comment

If that's TNT, it was on eBay a couple times while it was parked at Yachtfish Marine in Port Orchard.
                          Yes, it was at Yachtfish for a while. Must be TNT, hope that bodes well for boat and they moved on because of an upgrade or out of boating?

Comment

Some of the members here know them and will chime in, I'm sure. I'm afraid I don't know them, but heard nothing but good spoken and written about them.
                            -- Tim Taylor

Comment

Some of the members here know them and will chime in, I'm sure. I'm afraid I don't know them, but heard nothing but good spoken and written about them.
                              Welcome aboard! If it was "TNT" you would see the decals, or what's left of them on the side of the wheel house. They were on it when it was at Yachtfish. If it is, we are very familiar with the owners and the boat. We currently still own a 77' Express cruiser, and are the original owners. Ours was originally powered with the 233 and it was a great engine/outdrive for the boat, we eventually had to re-power after we just wore the thing out, long story, but our 23' arguably has been more places than any GP out there, including a 2 year trip on the intercoastal waterway. I hear a lot about the wood stringer thing, but we're still using ours with thousands and thousands of hours and I think if the boat was taken care of, with no water intrusion, I wouldn't give it a second thought. TNT was well taken care of and with proper care, will give you many years of reliable service! And to answer your last question, they got out of boating due to age and health issue's.

Comment

Working...
                              X