Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Owner - 1978 19' I/O Cuddy

Hi All!

I'm the proud new owner of a 1978 19' I/O Cuddy. My grandpa purchased this boat new from Anderson Marine in Edmonds and had her at Dagmar's for about 18 years until my dad took the boat in '96. It's lived at his house since then in North Marysville (where I grew up), mostly in the garage. Now it's my turn to take over the boat and I'm planning to bring her back to Dagmar's at some point soon. It's been loved and well used but not abused and we've made dozens of trips out to Neah Bay over the years as well as lots of fishing in the Sound.

It hasn't been licensed since 2015 and really only started a few times since then. Does anyone know of a mechanic in the Everett area that is good with the 140 Merc that could give this engine an once-over? Compression is decent but not great and although I've done a lot of work on it, I really feel like it could use a pro to give it a look.

Thanks and all the best,
    Eric

Welcome aboard ericnw, There is a lot of knowledge in and on this forum. I used to deal with Jacobson's in Ballard and they where great to work with, they are now in Edmunds still a trusted place to go.

Comment

Ericnw
      Glad you found the Forum, great source of knowledge of all things GlasPly. What a fine legacy having your grandfathers boat.
      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Welcome! We're currently using Bayside Marine in Everett for the first time, but haven't got the boat back yet, so haven't formed an opinion yet but they're actually close to Dagmars. We've used Mercer Marine at Dagmars years ago when our boat was there, but they're definitely on the high side $$.. Just options for you.

Comment

Thanks guys. I found a mechanic up near Marysville and the boat is going to him later this week. We are also mostly likely switching gears from storing at Dagmar's to a covered slip in Edmonds. Much closer to our house and easier to get out on the water in general. One thing we are considering is that the boat has never been bottom-painted, and whether we can go a year in the water or so before doing that. Any opinions are much appreciated.

I'll take some pictures on Friday and post em up. HIN# is GPL19237M78F for the listing being compiled here.

Comment

If you are leaving the boat in the water rather than using Edmunds dry storage, then bottom paint is needed. I don't like bottom paint on a boat and would do everything not too. My GP has bottom paint and wish it didn't, since it lives on a trailer.

Comment

Thanks. I really would prefer not to bottom paint it either, so it might be better to go with Edmonds dry storage. I talked to the guy at Edmonds Marina today and it seems like getting the boat in/out of the water is pretty straightforward. My only reservation is the inability to just show up at the boat and do small projects. I don't have any experience with mooring a boat or dry storage so just trying to figure all the ins and outs.

Comment

Hereís some pics. So excited to get the boat back from the mechanic and out on the water.

Comment

Very clean, you will enjoy it.

Comment

Yes, that is amazingly clean! Itís like a time machine back to 1978!
                    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Comment

That is a nice boat. Wecome aboard.
                      Boat=Bust out another thousand
                      1973 19' Glasply HT 140 Mercruiser- procrastinating ongoing rebuild
                      1985 2200 Glasply HT Marauder 5 L

Comment

Gorgeous boat welcome to the community!
                        Thunderstruck, 19 ft 1979 cuddy. 86 170 merc. A1OD.

Comment

Thanks, guys! So far the boat is getting a tuneup, all fluids changed, new shift cable, new batteries, carb rebuild, gimbal bearing seal, etc.

Have a couple other new-found issues to resolve, too. The red dot heater installed on the port side was installed too high. The hoses run along the top of the gunwales and are contributing to overheating due to air in them. Not sure yet what to do about that but thinking of just disconnecting for now.

Might need a new fuel tank, too. There was a suspicious amount of gas in the bilge when it got moved for the first time in three years (that was fun). We suspect a leak in the fuel tank, which is aluminum and new in 2004. Doesn't make a ton of sense but we're not sure where else the gas might have come from. Fuel pump is good. Thinking the best bet is to pressure test the tank with some air. Mechanic said he knows about a plastic tank he would recommend if we decide to replace. I'm leaning toward replacing just to be safe.

Comment

ericnw
                            'A suspicious amount of gas in the bilge' is the precursor to disaster. You need to determine the source and fix it now. Pressure test and inspect fuel lines and all fuel connections. The aluminum water tank in my 1982 28 LC failed last year. If a boats sits on a trailer for extended periods, water in the fuel can corrode the aluminum in the fuel tank, but it's doubtful your 2004 tank would be leaking. More likely an engine fuel line, fuel tank filler hose or a gasket.
                            The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Yes.... Getting yourself blown up by gasoline fumes from a leak into the bilge would be a direct violation of the Glasply forum rules.

Itíd be a shame to lose you after only 5 posts!
                              -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                              1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                              1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Comment

Working...
                              X