New owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner

Hi everyone. I'm the new owner of a 1986 Glasply L2969 (not sure why it's called a 28 because it much bigger than that). I bought it in Juneau and the owner told me it was brought up from CA at some point. It has the name Cruz N2 painted on the flybridge. If anyone knows some history about this boat feel free to reply to me. I'm really excited to be a part of the family here. My wife and I are upgrading from a C-Dory 25 which served us well but we outgrew. This boat should do a much better job handling whatever the Prince William Sound throws at us.
    1986 Glasply 28' long cabin

Welcome aboard kisutch. You will find a lot of information and helpful people on our site.

Comment

Glad to have you aboard, kisutch!
      -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
      1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
      1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Comment

Welcome! We really like to see pictures, so if you can include some that would be great!

Comment

Thanks guys, Here's some pics. It's gonna be a long winter while I wait to launch her.

Comment

What is the HIN from that boat? That would tell more about the length and such, plus one of our members, Socal, has been collecting a record of Glasply HINs.
            -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
            1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
            1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Comment

Kisutch
              All 28’s have the same basic hull dimensions. In 1979 the 28 was a called a 9 meter. As a marketing pitch, GP named boats by the gunwale length. Centerline length is 27’ 6 5/8” and the gunwale is 29’ 6 1/2”. 28’s are great boats, enjoy.
              The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Welcome Aboard Kisutch,
                We bought a 28' Long Cabin about a year ago and it is a terrific boat. Mine is not a speed demon by any means. Twin Volvo 160 HP Diesels with V-Drives. Cruise comfortable at 13 Knots, Tops out about 20. Lots of room for a 28! The group on this site are very knowledgeable and helpful. Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome! Lots of good people here, and we are sure you will love your new 28.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting out on the water in it next spring. The hin is GPL85824K586. It's kinda weird that the first two numbers which usually indicate length are 85. Maybe it means 8.5m which would be about 28'.
                    Having it set up with twin diesels would be my ideal boat, wally. Did you do the re-power in yours or buy it that way?

Comment

Kisutch,
                      The previous owner repowered it about 20 years ago. It had twin gas engines previously. I was originally looking for a twin screw 26' Tolly. While with a Yacht Broker, looking at Tolly's, we walked past a 28' Glasply at the dock. She told me that it was a shame that she didn't have any of these that were currently on the market. Funny how sometimes timing works. That evening I was looking on the Yachts for sale site and boom, that same day a 28'Glasply, twin Diesels came in the market about 60 miles from my home! Saw it the next day, made an offer and bought it! Currently has only 450 hours in the diesels.

Comment

That's pretty cool you found a diesel 28 wally. What kind of fuel burn numbers do you get with it? I wouldn't mind exchanging some speed for longer range some day.

Comment

I checked it on our trip to the SanJuans and back last year. We averaged about 8 Gallons per hour. Our average cruise speed was about 14-16 knots.

Comment

Working...
                          X