Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Fishing Machine 1800, first boat

Hello GlasPly community,

I picked up my first boat yesterday. It is a 1981 Fishing Machine 1800 with a 115hp Merc. This boat was only recently pulled out of the bushes at my buddy's property, where it has been sitting for the past 7ish years. It is in need of some love, and I'm looking forward to the process. Prior to my current business, my background is in custom car audio & security and vehicle customization, so I'm excited for this project. I only know what I have read about this boat in the last 24hrs, so I am definitely green on the the topic.

Any information on the boat, tips on what to look for as I bring her back to her former glory (with a few updates), would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files

You’ve definitely got your work cut out for ya! What are your plans for it? Other than cleaning it up and such.

If it sat the way it is in the picture for all that time, it looks bow-down so rainwater would have accumulated in the forward end.

By 1981 they were building them with fiberglass stringers, so you may want to pull the plywood floor out, lift the bow up high and scoop out some foam (that the factory would have installed under the floor) at the very back all the way down to the inside of the hull. Water will trickle down to that hole you scooped out and you can drain it out that way. The foam will probably be okay once you let the water work its way out.

You could probably expect to have to replace the fuel tank, assuming it’s aluminum. There will probably be some thin spots, if not holes, from corrosion over the years. The risk of gasoline leaking under the floor is not something you want to risk, so inspect the tank carefully at the very least.

Post your HIN (the Hull Identification Number, molded into the outside of the transom on the starboard side right under the rub rail) and from that we will be able to tell you a little more about the boat.

Welcome aboard!
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Comment

Hello Binford,

Thank you for the welcome, and for the suggestions. I will definitely be looking into potential fuel tank issues. The boat was "resting" bow up, at least for the time that is sat across from my buddy's shop. I quite literally struck a deal with him yesterday, for this boat, so I haven't crawled around in it to see what I'm looking at yet, nor has he run me through his knowledge of the history of this particular boat. I will spend tomorrow afternoon getting a better look at things, and prodding him for info. I haven't decided on a plan yet, and won't do so until I make a better assessment.

My HIN is GPL17514M81C-9

Thanks again, and I look forward to browsing through the forum, and learning from you folks who are familiar with these boats.

Comment

I believe you are the first on the forum with an almost live and breathing center console "Fishing Machine" Keep us up to date on this one. That's one cool platform, reminds me of the 17' foot whalers on roids.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here. I'm looking forward to watching your project.
          1978 Glasply 21ft 5.7l Mercruiser R drive "Sandi's Surprise"
          1981 Glasply 17ft 70hp Johnson & 9.8hp Nissan kicker "Skunked"

Comment

Very cool and rare Glasply. I have only seen one other center console. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Comment

Welcome aboard and good luck with your project.

Comment

Welcome aboard. You have a gem in the rough.
                Bracketed 1973 191 VIP Suzuki df175
                F/V Goldmember

Comment

Welcome! seeing lots of fishing boats and center consoles being towed behind larger craft and would be awesome to see one of these being towed as a fishing platform, unique!

Comment

Silly me.... I didn’t even pick up on the fact it was a center console! That’s how rare they are, I guess. HA! I thought someone completely hacked up a runabout when I saw the picture! Great find! Solid 17-foot platform to build on.

Be sure to read the thread about the HIN being non-compliant per Washington state and what to do about it. (Which reminds me, I still need to make that a Sticky.)
                    -- Tim Taylor

Comment

Pardon my noob-atry, but what does "HIN non-compliant" mean, and/or where can I read about that?

Comment

Simply means the original GP HIN does not comply with a new numbering system your politicians put into law. Search the site for HIN registration. Binford posted a process to renew your registration without adding a new ID plaque. ��
                        The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

That’s right. To be in compliance, the HIN can only be 12 characters long. With the -9 suffix on yours, it is often recorded (on the title & registration) as 13 characters, thus appearing to be out of compliance. The WA DOL solution is to issue you a new HIN and have you pay someone to make two plaques of it and permanently affix it to your boat. A pain.

If your paperwork includes the 9 (13 digits total), then show them a picture of the HIN and explain that the dash [-] before the last digit makes it a suffix, and not part of the actual HIN. So it actually IS in compliance and they should make the correction and reissue your title & registration.

And if any DOL representative argues with you otherwise, take it to a different one. Because it absolutely IS in compliance.
                          -- Tim Taylor

Comment

Thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                            X