Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black smoke from my Volvo ADA41P

I have two Volvo Penta Marine Diesels.
    After a year of very little use, when I went out this year both engines revved low and billowed black smoke when I tried to go above 2,500 rpm.
    After doing some digging on U tube, I checked and cleaned the exhaust elbow on the stbd engine and notice the turbo turbine was spinning very rough. after taking it in it was bad and a new one has been installed. the stbd engine is now running perfect.
    By the way all the filters have been changed: air cleaner, Racor and engine fuel filters.
    When I checked the port engine turbo, the turbine shaft was frozen, after very carefully getting it to move and spin, it won't spin freely.
    I can throw a new turbo in the port engine also, but then I heard it could be the inter-cooler??
    I hate to buy a new turbo if I don't need one, however I can get it to me overnight-ed and be up for the rendezvous on Thursday.

Do I take a chance of burning something up if I go without the turbo or will it maybe blow out all the luck on the cruise up from Tacoma??

Noluck would be a good person to answer this one. Iceman, let everyone know who you are and what boat you have. Many on this forum have spent time with you at the Rendezvous in past years.
    Let's get this one solved so Steve can make the trip to Anacortes!

Comment

if the turbo does not spin freely it needs to be fixed
      1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

most times when a aftercooler leaks it will seize the engine very quickly
        1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Working...
        X