Boat wonít start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P/S i really love this thread, but i think the end is very near
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Originally posted by noluck View Post
      P/S i really love this thread, but i think the end is very near
      I hope so! I really do appreciate the help...and I can say I've gained a lot from it.

I have a new spare trim solenoid in my box of goodies that the PO gave me with the boat. You just used a trim pump solenoid in place of the starter solenoid and it seems to have what it takes for the job? I might try that...
      1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy w/ a 470 (Cinbad)
      1994 Hewescraft 16-1/2 foot Searunner w/ 75hp Mercury Ob
      1980 Danica 16 full keel sailboat (Loki)

Comment

Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post
        Yup, very much sounds like solenoid is toast-I'd give it a few taps... .
        I did bang on it a bit... the starter solenoid is pretty new. The PO told me he replaced it a couple years ago...but I guess that isn't the first time I've hear of cheap new parts lasting just one season.

Comment

is the starter solenoid mounter on the starter?

if you PM a text number i can text you a drawing
          1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

can you post a picture of the starter and solenoid?

Comment

This is the configuration of the solenoid (mounted//grounded to the block just forward of the starter motor)...this is just a pic I found online of a 470 setup that is identical to mine. I am not able to take a pic at the moment.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	53848Click image for larger version

Name:	starter solenoid 1.jpg
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	53849Click image for larger version

Name:	starter solenoid.jpg
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	53850

Comment

ok with that solenoid you do not need any other solenoid, on that one you should have 2 small wires one yellow on the "S" terminal and a red on the "I" terminal, the base is your ground. make sure it is wired this way. and the two large wires can go on either large posts

Comment

I am pretty sure that's exactly the config I am running...but will verify when I get home.

Part of me is wondering how well the base is actually grounded to the block...I know Mike was saying that could be remote possibility. Being that the solenoid is new, I guess if it's rusty or dirty under that base it could not be grounded; there are 2 bolts that fasten the solenoid to the block and one of them is missing (actually looks like someone broke off the head and the shank is still sitting in the block) but that is only leaving one fastener to ground the solenoid...I wonder what would happen if I clipped a lead to the base and tried grounding the solenoid to a better ground?
                  Last edited by HarperMA10; 02-13-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Solenoid replaced today. That was the issue. Thanks again for everybodies help, big shout out to Noluck for the phone call diagnostic help! Now gonna check compression and get this thing fired if she’s willing...

Comment

Sad day, below is the compression results:

3- 110
                      2- 110
                      1- 130
                      4- 60

Comment

don't despair, put a tea spoon of oil down the hole of number 4 and see what happens to the compression number

Comment

I tried that at first...tried doing a couple more compression checks and I didn’t see any change. I left for about an hour and then came back and tried to see if I could start it anyways with the compression low in that cylinder...I spent 15 maybe 20 minutes cranking it over and it was trying to kick off, but never really took off. She tried. Batteries are dead now. But I did go put the compression gauge back on that cylinder again and it got 125psi on the same cylinder that was 60 psi. Maybe a stuck ring or something?

Comment

So I swapped batteries from another boat, checked all 4 cylinders and am getting 125-135 lbs in all 4 cylinders... I guess a little oil from the oil pump kind of lubricated things and itís reading way more constant. and I took these readings with WOT. Last time was not

Comment

cool get her fired up and heat cycle in her and then test again, the rings could just have been stuck and the heat cycle will help with that

Comment

Got it to run on 2-3 cylinders, but the carb is really crapped up...the floats are stuck and it started flooding itself. I need to clean and rebuild the carb.

Comment

Working...
                                X