Rudder zincs: yes/no/where?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudder zincs: yes/no/where?

Going to be mooring our 28 in salt water soon, it was a freshwater boat and the shafts/rudders/etc look very good and would like to keep them that way. Everything is bonded to the rear divers dream zinc but the rudders have no zincs. Since it was freshwater I cant say that it will be fine based on history.

So do other 28' twins use rudder zincs? If you do then where's the best place to drill the rudder to add them?

1 collar zinc on each drive shaft, one on each trim tab, one on each ruddder mounted Nicholau up and a big plate in the centerline. All grounded.
    The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

2 collar zinc on each drive shaft, one on each trim tab, one on each rudder mounted in middle and a big plate in the centerline on transom. All grounded.
      "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

3 collar zinc on each drive shaft, one on each trim tab, one on each rudder mounted in middle and a big plate in the centerline on transom. All grounded.

...couldn't help myself
        1978 17' Runabout - AQ120B/270
        1978 23' Cuddy

Comment

So, just cover the shaft with zincs? Wish I was better at photoshop.

Pretty universal then, looks like I'll be adding zincs on the rudders.

I also couldn't find a galvanic isolator on my shore power line, so I'm adding a yandina-they are on sale at defender for under $100 if anyone else needs one...

Comment

Here's my info. Hope it will help.

'79 GP28 moored in saltwater year round.

1 No galvanic isolator in the shore power line. No battery chargers either,

2 Use 1 Diver's Dream transom zinc, 2 shaft zincs on both shafts, and 1 zinc on each trim tab,

3 No rudder zincs. I've wondered why Glasply didn't use them but haven't had problems. Maybe I should...don't know.

4 Have two thru hull transducers not connected to the bonding wire, One transducer is a large Airmar B256 bronze transducer and shows voltage potential between the bonding wire and the stem of the transducer. The other transducer is an small old Coastal Navigator bronze transducer and it also shows voltage between the transducer stem and bonding wire. Probably should bond these but haven't had problems.

5 Odd situation: I can measure between about 0.01 volts and 0.22 volts between different sections of the stainless boat rails and the bonding wire. I haven't figured out where this path is coming from yet but it occurs with the shore power disconnected and the batteries off.

Every time I start fixing things I find more unusual things.

Comment

Working...
            X