Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1974 Glasply - not a peep when turning the key...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where are you located? someone might be able to come give you a hand
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Im in port coquitlam BC Canada

Ok so I can't feel any bolts under the starter but there is this one..(circled in red) . will this be the one take off?

Comment

That does look like it will need to come off but there will be others as well.

Sidenote: based on the corrosion(blue green powder) seen at the crimp on the large power wire to the left of your circle, you *could* have a simple an issue as poor wiring connections. There is a good chance that wire is no longer functional due to the corrosion/high resistance.

In order to see if you can just turn the motor over you can put a large wrench(crescent if you must) on the alternator and try to spin it that way-the alternator is down and to the right of the water pump pulley you showed in a previous picture. You may need to pinch the belt around the alternator pulley to add friction if the pulley just spins on the belt.

Comment

Ok maybe I should clean / replace that too... first im still thinking I should try turning the motor... I mean maybe just stuck from sitting.. but I can't turn it by hand. My dad is going to bring a pipe wrench over tomorrow and we'll try that.

Comment

The bolt you have (circled in red) is the front support for the starter and as Mike said it will have to come of as well as the bracket. The starter bolts are under the starter at the back where it bolts to the bell housing and will be hard to reach. You will need the replace the red battery cable that shows the blue corrosion.

Comment

k , i am in abbotford and can come help you
              1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

That would be awesome... can I get your number or Facebook? Maybe ill try to PM you on here.

Comment

Originally posted by noluck View Post
                  k , i am in abbotford and can come help you
                  Good Man!!!

Comment

So I got the starter off.. and have tried turning the flywheel with a screwdriver (not much leverage at all) but had no success... Looks like its seized? Stuck? Not sure how I could find a way to get a grip on the thing to turn it. But it certainly isn't spinning easily. Not sure what to do next.

Comment

Ok so here is where i'm at now... I put a chain wrench on the crank here and it will turn but with a lot of effort. Does this mean it is seized? Isnt seized? Should I keep turning this and putting a little Marvel Mystery Oil in it every once in a while?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSzd9nfaojE

Comment

Keep oiling and turning. Try turning backwards also. Sounds like it is loosening up.
                        The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

He is turning it backwards! But socal is right about more oil and turning both clockwise and counter clockwise. Be careful with the chain wrench that you don't damage the lower pulley where the belt rides. Soon you will be able to install a starter and turn it over with it.

Comment

Nice... does this type of thing actually work (turning / oiling)? If I just keep going will I get it loose? Its getting SLIGHTLY easier but still needs that leverage to turn it.

Comment

“O ye of little faith.”
                              The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Yes! Keep oiling and turning. My 8.2 was froze a few years ago. Poured mystery oil in the manifolds and spark plug holes, let sit a month, voila, running well to this date.

Comment

Working...
                                X