Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1974 Glasply - not a peep when turning the key...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post
    Like trophy said...try it with the plugs out. If it wonít turn over fairly easily by grabbing the belt or a pulley(with no plugs in) then youíre not ready to try to start it. If you try too hard with the starter and itís not completely free yet youíll be rewarded with a toasted starter and/or solenoid.
    I kinda wonder if I toasted the solenoid again... when I try to start it I just hear a click in the starter... when I bypass the solenoid (depending which post I touch) I can make the starter engine whirrrr... or I can make the starter try to move the crank. I can see it move the crank like a half a centimeter every time I touch the posts... but I can't get it to turn the whole thing... Maybe I just didn't loosen it enough when I took everything off and started turning it....

Comment

Mike,
      I don't think you have enough charge in the batteries. Should be over 13 volts. They may not be able to hold a charge or support a load. The clicking is the common sound of a dead or dying battery in a car or boat.
      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

A jump start is one thing I haven't tried... I thought 12/13 would be enough volts... i'll give the jumpstart a shot in a bit

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
          Maybe I just didn't loosen it enough when I took everything off and started turning it....
          If you still cant turn it by hand this gets my vote. Even with the plugs in you should be able to move it back and forth a little. Get it to where it spins somewhat easily by hand without the plugs and then try it.

Also, 12v=dead battery and 12.7-9 is full charge for a lead acid battery. Above 13 is what you *should* see while running. For troubleshooting purposes you need to add another decimal to your measurements... Just be careful attempting to crank it over, if it doesn't turn immediately then it's time to do more investigating. Last, did you replace that corrode wire and inspect the other wires/connections at the starter/solenoid/etc?

Comment

Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post
            If you still cant turn it by hand this gets my vote. Even with the plugs in you should be able to move it back and forth a little. Get it to where it spins somewhat easily by hand without the plugs and then try it.

Also, 12v=dead battery and 12.7-9 is full charge for a lead acid battery. Above 13 is what you *should* see while running. For troubleshooting purposes you need to add another decimal to your measurements... Just be careful attempting to crank it over, if it doesn't turn immediately then it's time to do more investigating. Last, did you replace that corrode wire and inspect the other wires/connections at the starter/solenoid/etc?

It got pretty easy to turn with that chain wrench but ill have to check and see if I can move it by hand with the belt, with the plugs out... (first gotta try to jump it tho)

Comment

Working...
            X