See less

OK here I go!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So to your knowledge it was just the seals on the camshaft for the water pump that was causing you to loose your coolant?

Would you only look coolant while you where running? Or did it also drain when the boat was parked?

Do you have a part # for those seals? Sounds similar to what I have going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonfast View Post
      So to your knowledge it was just the seals on the camshaft for the water pump that was causing you to loose your coolant?

Would you only look coolant while you where running? Or did it also drain when the boat was parked?

Not sure that question was for me, but in my case yes...to my knowledge it was just the seals on the camshaft for the water pump that was causing me to lose coolant. I wasn't losing a lot, mind you. But I did notice it was running a bit low after a bit.

The way I found it was when the engine was off, I noticed a dripping on the front starboard side of the engine, down fairly low. That's where the weep hole is, which in my case had been covered with a little silicone by the previous owner.

As for a part number, remember that it isn't the seals that are the problem when this happens. It's the grooves that the seals wore into the camshaft that is the problem! The camshaft needs to be pulled and replaced or repaired. Then new seals too. But there's a simple, semi-permanent fix you can do as an alternative, especially if you're planning to swap it out soon anyway. Nova has experience with that from his Dad's boat. Perhaps he can fill you in. I think they're called "Speedi-sleeves" or something like that.

Here's a very thorough write-up about the fix, complete with part numbers and a lengthy detailed explanation of how to do it:

http://www.outdriveshop.com/470_coolant_leak.html
      -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
      1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
      1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

We didn't do the speedi sleeve method. We removed the cam and had the grooves polished out by a cam shop in Tacoma for free and then reinstalled it with new seals and gaskets.
        1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
        1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
        8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

Oh, I thought you did the sleeves. Hmmmm... Well if it happened again to me, that's what I'd do. Probably didn't require your boat sitting 3 months in the shop either!
          -- Tim Taylor

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

Someone else had the sleeves done at a shop recently.
            1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
            1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
            8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

I'm loosing quite a bit of coolant. I'll have to investigate further.

Comment

I'm loosing quite a bit of coolant. I'll have to investigate further.
                If you are losing alot of coolant and its 1: not in the oil pan 2: not in the bilge then its 3: going out the exhaust. Which means your exhaust manifold most likely has a breech.
                Thunderstruck, 19 ft 1979 cuddy. 86 170 merc. A1OD.

Comment

In my case yes, it was the seals AND the groove worn in the camshaft that were causing coolant to leak into the oil. Of course the tell tale sign for this was the milky oil, and the oil level increasing.
                  I also had a leaky weep hole which was leaking coolant into the bilge even after the engine was shut off and sitting for long periods of time.
                  If you need the speedi sleeve p/n and the seal p/n I can call cascade marine and ask them.
                  Thunderstruck, 19 ft 1979 cuddy. 86 170 merc. A1OD.

Comment

im suspecting #3.

anyways. i dont want to derail this thread. ill investigate further this weekend.

Comment

The pick up hose line can also have cracks resulting in the coolant leaking out that is if there is a leak in the heat exchanger. Check the hose from the transom to the drive if that has coolant dripping from it then the heat exchanger has a leak between the raw and fresh water compartments

Comment

Which hose do you mean, Gordo? I don't get it....
                        -- Tim Taylor

Comment

There's about a 3/4 inch pick up hose for the raw water runs from the back of the drive to the hook up on the transom. If you have a leak between the raw and fresh water in your heat exchanger the fresh water (coolant) will back flow out that pickup line.

Comment

Ah, I see. That will also allow coolant to flow out the raw water outlet into the exhaust riser and out when the engine's running.
                            -- Tim Taylor

Comment

Working...
                            X