Re-power for 2014 Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-power for 2014 Season

This winter's travel calendar shows air travel 3 of 4 weeks each month through at least March so finding time to conquer the rebuild of my 200'ish this winter isn't going to happen. I was in Anchorage last week enjoying the Polar express. -14F when we landed. That's outer space cold! Enjoyed it so much, heading back up in February.

Soooo....I'm heading down to Portland Sunday to pick up this ready to go 3.0L V6 (not a Ficht!). I was planning on adding hydraulic steering anyway this winter before the motor blew so I was thrilled to learn this once comes with the back end hydraulics included. This also has the full 25" mid so the powerhead can be jacked up farther out of the rear splash zone.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	OP200.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	54863 Click image for larger version

Name:	op200-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	54864
    Fusion Splice
    GP2100,19-9ft, 2.6l V6 Loop Charged Johnson,
    0-60 in 3.4 gallons

The price of the boat is just the down payment on a lifestyle.

That ought to make your boat scoot pretty well. Is that a 200? If so, that's the same power sailorman has on his 23' and it goes fine on that boat. Zoooooom!

The hydraulic steering will be a nice bonus too.
    I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me....

Comment

I always liked this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVH5sKUlPg

Comment

"you your kids and your Johnson" horrible line

Comment

This one's pretty funny.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2gIdMRwfuM

It's a country song.
          -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
          1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
          1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

Yeah but "You and your girl and your Johnson" That's poetry right there...

My last name is Johnson, so I've heard them all....
            I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me....

Comment

Quick update. Forgot about the holiday traffic Sunday and we had to turn around at Olympia since we weren't going to make it by 5pm.
              Heading to Portland again Wednesday morning to give it another shot.
              Hopefully next post will have pics.
              Fusion Splice
              0-60 in 3.4 gallons

Comment

Success! No pics, yet, since I didn't roll the uhaul in until 11pm. Not real sure where I came up with the 3L above, it's a 2.6L v6 - XL shaft Johnson (tee hee hee). At 370lb it's 40lbs lighter than the 2.5L 200hp cross-flow I just pulled off. It's prop rated at 175hp but I know they tend to be quite "torquey" in the mid range so it will be fun to see how it performs compared to the other. The 200 in this series is actually much larger and weighs in around 450lbs so it's probably a push at normal load.

The seller included the hydraulic ram, lines, helm pump, and steering wheel (in case the original factory GP wheel doesn't fit). He also included the control box and cables- so now I have three, lol.

The flexibility from hydraulic steering is a very welcome addition. That steering cable, which was just replaced in September, is cumbersome and takes up so much room. Hydraulic is needed when the time comes to put the offshore bracket on, anyway.

It will need a new impeller right away since he turned it over in the driveway for compression check without water. Compression was even but water pump is likely toast.

Sure hope Santa brings dad a fuel card this Christmas. .
                Fusion Splice
                0-60 in 3.4 gallons

Comment

Congratulations!

Originally posted by nphilbro View Post
                  Hydraulic is needed when the time comes to put the offshore bracket on, anyway.
                  Hang on.... Isn't your boat an OB model already? Why would you put on a bracket?
                  -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                  1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                  1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

That looks like a really nice motor. How did you find it?

Comment

Running a 24" Offshore bracket will allow the motor to raised ~2"-6" (depending on % weight aft) above the keel. The water coming off the back is "cleaner" and rises so less of the lower unit needs to be submerged (+ efficiency/mpg). It will also give it the ride of a larger boat +2ft so it will be much more forgiving with regard to prop breakout in heavier chop and turns. In a nutshell- they give most hulls far greater performance via more consistent balance. Just setting mine back 6" and up 2" was a night and day difference.

Equally important to me is converting all that wasted space from the splashwell to usable work deck.

Last - but not least - getting that powerhead out of the water! I'm constantly fighting off the stalls caused by the following wake if I come off plane to quickly.

It's certainly no accident that most new higher end offshore boats come with some variation of the offshore bracket. My buddy added one to his 17' North River and everything about it was better. He only complained that he had to extend his storage shed. lol

It's not something I'm probably going to do this year but it's nice to have everything ready to go should a good deal on one come up.

I read this article several years ago and it explains it way better.
                      http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...eBrackets.html
                      http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...omBracket.html
                      Fusion Splice
                      0-60 in 3.4 gallons

Comment

Originally posted by rstallbaum View Post
                        That looks like a really nice motor. How did you find it?
                        I got it from a guy in Portland who posted a bulletin at the Marina near the airport. I like to drop in there when I can to check the for sale/want ads.

I didn't mention this, but it's a freshwater motor too. Another reason I like shopping down there or eastern Washington.
                        Fusion Splice
                        0-60 in 3.4 gallons

Comment

Sweet! Very good tip!

Comment

After three weeks I was finally able to get into it and get some PM done on it. It's sooo clean. Will need a couple fiberglass chips repaired, but I got most of the motor marine coated with water block. My schedule never allowed me to meet up with the guy in Salem with the offshore bracket so that will probably be gone before I can get back down there. Found a shop in Moses Lake that has really good pricing on new ones and even a few used ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3029.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	50943 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2997.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	50944 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3002-RS2.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	50945 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3008-RS.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	50946
                            Fusion Splice
                            0-60 in 3.4 gallons

Comment

Working...
                            X