Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking on water.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Taking on water.

    Loaded the family and water toys in our old classic 23' and headed to the lake after filling the main tank with Premium, non-Ethanol. Backed down the ramp, motored off the trailer and tied up to the dock. Opened the engine compartment to make sure things were alright and the bilge had several inches of water..cuss words.. turned the engine off and could actually hear the sound of trickling water. Yes APELLA, already know what you're thinking and YES my plug was in...
    Could see small water stream coming straight down from above the plug, from housing area, very low point. 91 OMC Cobra (Ford) with Cobra outdrive, .

    So, loaded back onto the trailer and is now parked back in my shop full of fuel of course. I doubt this will be an easy fix???

  • #2
    I have the special install/removal tool for a cobra gimbal bearing if you end up there.

    I did all the seals and gimbal bearing on my 89 seaswirl 351/cobra, had to replace the coupler as well because the alignment had been neglected for too long. Don't have a cobra drive any longer, let me know if you want the tool. Wasn't too tough of a job to do it all.

    edit... oh yea, leg has to come off for most seals. Don't think there's much you can do without taking the leg off. Although there's a screw on the stbd side you can check for water in the leg at the shift cable, but I'm guessing it's a moot point and you'll have water there. Probably from the drive boot if it was that much water.
    Last edited by theremikegoes; 09-10-2018, 10:57 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks, will let you know what I decide. I'm thinking you're correct, most likely a seal/gimbal bearing issue unfortunately.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by weigh2go View Post
        Loaded the family and water toys in our old classic 23' and headed to the lake after filling the main tank with Premium, non-Ethanol. Backed down the ramp, motored off the trailer and tied up to the dock. Opened the engine compartment to make sure things were alright and the bilge had several inches of water..cuss words.. turned the engine off and could actually hear the sound of trickling water. Yes APELLA, already know what you're thinking and YES my plug was in...
        Could see small water stream coming straight down from above the plug, from housing area, very low point. 91 OMC Cobra (Ford) with Cobra outdrive, .

        So, loaded back onto the trailer and is now parked back in my shop full of fuel of course. I doubt this will be an easy fix???
        Carl, did you check the muffler bearing? Sometimes those leak, lol.
        Kidding aside, hope for just a bad drive boot, and not a bad seal where the gimble housing meets the transom. My guess it is just a cracked boot.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm sure you have one but you didn't mention a bilge pump kicking on. Might want to invest in float switch. Could have been ugly if it went unnoticed and you were farther away from the dock.
          1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
          1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
          8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nova7163 View Post
            I'm sure you have one but you didn't mention a bilge pump kicking on. Might want to invest in float switch. Could have been ugly if it went unnoticed and you were farther away from the dock.
            I actually got to it before the float switch kicked on. It wasn't pouring in, but you could see and hear it. Wasn't in panic mode yet...

            Comment


            • #7
              Hate it when that (er something akin) happens!! Give me a shout if you need a hand fixing it. Tons of tools and confidence, little knowledge/expertice.
              "84 Glasply 20' Project

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Charlie Farmer View Post
                Hate it when that (er something akin) happens!! Give me a shout if you need a hand fixing it. Tons of tools and confidence, little knowledge/expertice.
                Thank you, appreciate it. Working on some plans now, which will also involve getting the fuel tank replaced over the winter...Definitely missing out on some fabulous boating weather this month minus all the crowds, grrrrrr.....

                Comment

                Working...
                X