Winter storage???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter storage???

Should I use Stabil or some other fuel stabilizer if all my tanks are full of non Ethanol gas? I used it last year but is it a waste of time and $$$.

Should I run the carb dry, it's a Marine Edelbrock 650? I did not run it dry last year and it started right up with no issues.

I have a hose and funnel setup to attach to my washout outdrive muffs that I will run several gallons of RV/Marine antifreeze thru the engine.

IMHO non Ethanol gas doesn't need Stabil.

Comment

Been winterizing for many years due to our nasty winter climate. I've never run the carbs dry (except an outboard kicker) because there are seals inside that may dry out. I do add "quickcare" fuel additive (I'm sure the other brands are similar) in the fuel tanks just prior to topping them off so it gets into the lines/injectors/carbs. I'm with 18ftTrophy not sure it's really necessary with Non-Ethanol, but with my luck, something will come up and I won't get to run the boat in the spring so the fuel may sit longer and then I would've wished I did put in some additive. Cheap insurance.

Make sure you run the non-alcohol based marine Anti-Freeze through the engine, some brands have alcohol and will dry out hoses/seals etc. IMHO

Comment

Cummins
        How do you know Stabil was 'a waste of time?'. My boat is in the water all the time and I add it with each fuel fill. All of our marina fuel is E-10 and I kind of have the idea that Stabil or its' equivalent can't hurt, but maybe it's not necessary.
        I just replaced the carburetor on my Honda 2000i portable generator after I left fuel in the tank for too long. Mechanic suggested a product called 'True fuel' which is straight gas. He said to keep some of this product in the tank to preserve the seals in the carb when it sits idle for a time.
        Re: Winterizing - not familiar with that term.
        The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

E-10 is 10 percent Ethanol and you would need stabil in your gas tank. But anything that runs with a carbonator is going too be running lean. That is why I only run non- Ethanol gas in carb'ed equipment!

Comment

"Cummins
            How do you know Stabil was 'a waste of time?"

SoCal, this is what I said. "I used it last year but is it a waste of time and $$$."

It was a question wondering "IF" it was a waste.

For sure if it had some Ethanol I would be using a stabilizer!

Comment

Thanks Cummins
              I overlooked the word 'is' in your statement. Thanks to Bill Clinton and Monica we all know what the meaning of is is.
              I will stabilize away because E-10 is our only fuel choice in the Golden State.
              The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

As a rule, I only put non-ethanol marine fuel into the Cardinal and many of the marina fuel docks in Puget Sound use ValvTect marine fuel, which already has the stabilizers and fuel treatments in it so you donít need to add any.

I also run the marine fuel in my lawn mowers, chain saws, log splitter, generator, etc., running down to the Port Orchard Marina to fill up my portable gas container every time I need more gas.

For the 2-stroke engine on JV Junior, I run the same ethanol-free fuel mixed with the Quicksilver brand 2-stroke oil, but to winterize I shut off the fuel source and as it starts to sputter out, I blast the two carburetor intakes with Seafoam and tuck her away in the shop for the winter months. Which reminds me, I have to get that done. The weather should be good today and Iím home today, so thatís now made it onto my To-Do List! I even put it above ĒRe-caulk the tub & shower.Ē
                -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Comment

I get my non Ethanol from Cenex in Burlington. They just told me if tanks are not full to add for moisture but if tanks are full no need. Mine are full so no conditioner for me!

Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Comment

no storage for me, mine is a 365 day a year boat. was great out there yesterday fishing in tee-shirt
                    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

"no storage for me, mine is a 365 day a year boat. was great out there yesterday fishing in tee-shirt"

What ever...grrr.. 29 deg F last night, sorry noluck, what is that in Celsius.. jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by weigh2go View Post
                        "no storage for me, mine is a 365 day a year boat. was great out there yesterday fishing in tee-shirt"

What ever...grrr.. 29 deg F last night, sorry noluck, what is that in Celsius.. jealous.
                        so you are freezing, that just sucks. it was 59 deg f yesterday and 7 more days of it
                        1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

I spend my winter months in the SW and never wear jeans.

Comment

Working...
                          X