470 seized replace with?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 470 seized replace with?

1978 GP 19.5 hardtop repower or chase my tail? Mercruiser 470. What will fit in the mercruiser mount and 470 hole? I purchased the boat 3 years ago. Boat had a seized engine and outdrive on pallet and a second engine on a engine stand. I was told the second engine was purchased from a guy that had torn it down with a machinist friend, new bearings and rings installed. I pulled the pan and torqued the bearings, everything looked good. I installed the engine, replaced the alternator with a belt driven one (removed old stator windings and voltage regulator). Boat ran good at low speed.
    When I brought boat up on a plane for 5 min temp would climb and I could hear a sound coming from engine that sounds like vibrating sheet metal rattling. Shut engine down and engine would not crank over to restart. After about 20 min boat would crank and restart fine. I crabbed the incoming tide for several hours running at low speed. Same issues next 3 times out I tried several things to fix cooling problem with each trip. I replaced starter, checked batteries. Replaced shutter valve in exhaust and exhaust elbow on back of exhaust manifold. New raw water pump. I finally fixed the cooling problem bad radiator cap and air bubble in cooling system. Took boat out, brought boat up on a plane 1/3 throttle, temp 160 looking good, still a rattle sound. Rattle did not sound like valve train. Backed off throttle boat died, it would not crank. After getting towed home (new Honda 8 HP kicker died, found broken timing gear). At home engine would crank rev. Pulled plugs and valve cover. Back plug had chunk of rust on it other plugs looked good. Could not crank, could not turn over engine with breaker bar. Loosened rocker arms, no change. Pulled lower unit no change. I am going to pull the rest of outdrive off of the back of boat and see check gimbal and u joint.
    I am thinking of finding a trashed Bayliner with a good Volvo and replace my 470. What reliable options do I have without major hull work? I use the boat for crabbing in Coos Bay OR and plan on some lake fishing. Fast boat is not a priority, reliable boat is. I have 3 470 engines and mercruiser outdrives all 3 engines are seized I am thinking there is a problem with the Mercruiser outdrive setup.

Any of the Inline 4s, 135hp Mercruiser or older 140s would mount into your current engine mount set up. V6s require stringer mods for side mounts plus change over to Y pipe for combining exhaust. You might check if you have any water/antifreeze in the oil. Could be cam is seizing in block. I had a 470 that did that when the cam seals let antifreeze into the oil.
    Glas-Hawk
    Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
    1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
    1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

Previous Affairs
    1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
    1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
    1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
    1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc http://www.glasply.org/vb4/core/images/smilies/cool.png
    1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
    2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

V6 might also need a different gimbal housing.

Comment

I had understood that the early model 4.3 v6 would match up with the 470 outdrive. You just needed to change the y pipe.
        Glas-Hawk

Previous Affairs
        1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
        1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
        1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc http://www.glasply.org/vb4/core/images/smilies/cool.png

Comment

Pulled outdrive no change. Pulled head small chunk of piston above ring on #3 is missing. Problem found. What engine/outdrive should I look for?

Comment

My neighbor have a 4.3l and just replaced the gimbal housing with a used one we found on ebay. After it was installed found out it was a 4 cyl housing and the Y pipe wouldn't bolt up to it as the bolt pattern was different. So need to make sure the Y pipe will mate up. He ended up getting another ear welded onto his Y pipe to complete the install.

Comment

Aspidal, I have a freshwater cooled 1990 300hr 175hp 4.3 v6 with outdrive sitting in my shop in North Seattle. Great package I purchased from a dealer in Oregon about 3-4years ago. Was planning to repower my 19 (had a 470) with it but other house renovation projects and a 28ft GlasPly captured my attention. Id let the package go for what I paid if youre interested. $4k
              Glas-Hawk

Previous Affairs
              1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
              1977 2100SL w/470 Merc

Comment

Thanks for the offer I will keep you on my list. I have seen several 1989-94 Bayliners in the Eugene Salem area for around 2K. I am thinking of purchasing one that has a engine with good compression and move the drive train to my boat. I am also thinking about just looking for a working boat and write off my existing boat. I like the hard top fiberglass setup of the Glasply with a closed cooling system for fishing and crabbing the Oregon coast. Similar boats are few and far between in my price range locally.

There are 2 salvage yards close by I am thinking about purchasing a different engine/outdrive package and going thru it and installing. I have heard Volvo engine outdrives are good and should fit in the Mercruiser hole? I have also heard that parts for Volvo are not cheap. I have lots of research to do to figure out what will fit without major modifications.

Comment

aspidal,

I have a rebuilt 470 with 7 hrs on it. Please PM me. Im on Springfield...
                  1978 17' Runabout - AQ120B/270
                  1978 23' Cuddy

Comment

Cheapest thing would probably be to keep throwing 470s at it. Best option would be a 4.3 v-6 or 5.7 sbc.
                    1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
                    1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
                    8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

I am looking at a 1989 Bayliner with a 351 and closed cooling system or a 1990 Bayliner 3.0 without a closed cooling system. My main use is in saltwater. Any recommendation on the best route to replace my 1978 470 Mercruiser in a 19 1/2 Glasply hard top? There is also a OMC cobra in a boat cheap available, I am not a big fan of the Cobra.
                      What is under the fiberglass under where the dog house sits? Is it strong enough for side motor mounts? Any words of wisdom before I commit? I have seen on the forum that a 3.0 might be underpowered for the boat.

Comment

In my 1978 19ft, the sides of the engine compartment are just plywood above the stringers. Cut into the area and create the side mounts you need for the v8 or v6 and you should be fine. However most of the 4cyl doghouses dont allow for a v6 or v8 width. So you might need to modify or find a v8 version someone is getting rid of. Hope youre handy with fiberglass.
                        Glas-Hawk

Previous Affairs
                        1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
                        1977 2100SL w/470 Merc

Comment

I purchase a 1996 Bayliner with a Aplha I gen 2 and Mercruiser 3.0 litre/LX with very low hours. Last tagged in 2002. 160-170 lbs in all cyl. Pulled engine, outdrive, wiring harness and steering. Everything looks new. I am going to Coos Bay on Monday to bring Glasply home to swap engine and outdrive.

Anyone in need of 470 parts I have parts from 1978 and 1983 engines (different exhaust man setup). carbs, fuel pumps, starters, alternators, outdrives. Make offers on some or all parts. Engines going to salvage after boat is back on the water. Other parts will be listed on CL in Eugene Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                          X