Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water leaking in

Hi fellas,
    Took the family for 4 nights to Sucia this weekend and after tying to a bouy noticed I had a little water in the bilge. I kept a close eye on it and was glad for a float switch and a strong battery. It was leaking about a half inch an hour, enough make me worry, but the pump didn't fail me. When I got home I tilted it up, put some water in the bilge and sure enough, it started dripping out of the exhaust outlet on the outside of the drive...not super experienced with I/O's its an alpha one with a 3.0...do I need to pull the motor fix an exhaust issue or is it bellows/seal issue?
    Thanks for any input. The best boating time is coming and I really want to get back in the water.

Sounds like your u-joint boot to me. Exhaust doesnít have a path to the bilge unless your exhaust pipe is leaking. You will need to pull the drive to be sure u-joints donít corrode from salt intrusion and possibly replace gimbal bearing at the same time. When was the last time you had the ujoint and exhaust boots replaced?
    Glas-Hawk
    Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
    1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
    1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

Previous Affairs
    1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
    1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
    1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
    1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc http://www.glasply.org/vb4/core/images/smilies/cool.png
    1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
    2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

I only got the boat last fall, and have not done much but enjoy it this summer. I thought it maybe it was an exhaust problem because I didn't really put that much water in before it started dripping out the back. Only about 4 inches...just starting to come up on the bottom transom plate where the exhaust pipe is.
      But like I said...not real experienced with out drives and all the potential paths in and out...

Comment

When you run the engine on the trailer with the muffs and it's dripping in the bilge, it's probably the y pipe exhaust leaking due to corrosion. Sitting in the water without the engine running and water is coming in it is either the rubber exhaust or shift boots, or the gasket and plug under the zink at the bottom of the stern drive . I just had the same problem last Rendezvous and had two different leaks.
        Boat=Bust out another thousand
        1973 19' Glasply HT 140 Mercruiser- procrastinating ongoing rebuild
        1985 2200 Glasply HT Marauder 5 L

Comment

Sirk,
          Even if the exhaust pipe is leaking on the inside it means the exhaust boot on the outside is leaking which means its cracked or torn. Long periods in the "up" position with an old boot stretch it out and then the first time you put the drive down, then back up will typically be the tearing point. If the exhaust pipe is leaking, you'll be pulling the engine/drive to get to it and at that point, would be good to service all those boots and seals. If you aren't super savvy with the I/O's might be best to hire this out. Although if you are mechanically inclined, its not a terribly hard thing to do. Just takes time.
          Glas-Hawk
          Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
          1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
          1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

Previous Affairs
          1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
          1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
          1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
          1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc http://www.glasply.org/vb4/core/images/smilies/cool.png
          1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
          2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.
            After reading what has been said and considering money vs. time...I'll most likely hire it out so I can enjoy the late summer/fall season in the San Juans (I live in Friday Harbor). Especially if I have to pull the motor to fix the exhaust pipe, which after more careful inspection I suspect is the culprit.
            Still love my Glasply! Best camper/Puget sound boat ever.

Comment

get a endoscope for your phone, then you can look and record a video, of the leak. i have a leak in my boat that took forever to find. does it leek faster with the engine running?
              1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Working...
              X