Head problems (?) with 470 and slowing starter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head problems (?) with 470 and slowing starter

I'm working on putting a new(er) 470 in my blue 19 foot monster, trying to do most of the work myself to save money and learning as I go....

I found a 470 motor block that seems reasonably OK. The engine had had a head gasket failure, and when I emptied out the oil it was an ugly light beige milky (?) mixture, probably with some water in it. The cylinder walls where without ridges, and it was all moving seemingly ok when I turned the flywheel. Head looked ok, not much carbon deposits, but as you can tell I'm not a mechanic, so I'm feeling my way and have read a lot through the manuals.

I put a new head gasket and torqued it down to 135 ft/lbs, I got help from the local older English boat mechanic and he helped me torque down the rockers on the head (Hydraulic lifters) Doug checked the nothing was sticking and turned the engine over several times to make sure it was ok.

The starter was not doing well on account of being VERY old and mucked up so I bought a new one, that helped a bit but only for a few turns. It seems to me that is should go a way faster with no plugs inserted.

When I put the compression testing gauge in to one of the cylinder the starter had a real hard time turning the engine. It will go 3-4 turns then it slows down to a crawl. Compression is not good: 125, 112, 90, 60 and it did not change when I squirted oil into the cylinders.

I'm speculating that the valves are not lifting properly in the head? And that the rockers are not properly torqued down (to hard or to little?)? Or could there be others things causing this, like in the crankshaft part of the engine?

Your comments/suggestions would be very much appreciated.....

can you grab the balancer and turn it over by hand with the plugs out?
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

A couple things. Whenever I have an engine that has water in the oil with a possible head gasket problem, I always have the head checked for cracks. Second I check all the bearings for damage. I might also pull the pistons to make sure there are no broken rings. If every thing looks good I would run a glaze brush in the cylinders before assembly. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

If you mean the flywheel upfront NO WAY I have to use a crowbar around two bolts, and that goes quite easily

Comment

Originally posted by andreasb View Post
          If you mean the flywheel upfront NO WAY I have to use a crowbar around two bolts, and that goes quite easily
          with the plugs out?
          1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Without the plugs

Comment

Thank you for the good advice, I guess I got stuck with a lemon here, luckily i'm out only $400 or so in total, and can take parts from it.

Originally posted by 18ftTrophy View Post
              A couple things. Whenever I have an engine that has water in the oil with a possible head gasket problem, I always have the head checked for cracks. Second I check all the bearings for damage. I might also pull the pistons to make sure there are no broken rings. If every thing looks good I would run a glaze brush in the cylinders before assembly. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

You can make one out of two.

Comment

Dave (noluck) has kindly offered me to help doing just that, thank you for all the help and suggestions it is much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by andreasb View Post
                    Dave (noluck) has kindly offered me to help doing just that, thank you for all the help and suggestions it is much appreciated
                    If Dave helps you, your success is almost a guaranteed result. A top notch mechanic and engine builder he is. Rode to Seattle last Friday in his Cummins powered 97 Ford Expedition and is that a sweet ride.
                    "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

there are a couple of things with this engine i do not like. parts are getting harder to find, like a timing chain that is not made anymore. and the water pump being driven off the cam, so if a seal fails you get water in the oil

Comment

I know i'm lucky, but not only is Dave a great mechanic but a helluva nice guy too!

Originally posted by Bill V View Post
                        If Dave helps you, your success is almost a guaranteed result. A top notch mechanic and engine builder he is. Rode to Seattle last Friday in his Cummins powered 97 Ford Expedition and is that a sweet ride.

Comment

Working...
                        X