No announcement yet.

Engine issue/prop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a dead cylinder. And found that the wire coming from power pack to coil was broken inside the connection. Once I get the lower unit back I will give the results. Thanks everyone.

Comment

that should fix her up
      1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Originally posted by noluck View Post
        that should fix her up
        funny how I didn't notice a cylinder down. it seemed to run and idle smooth. live and learn.
        got more bad news today. seems I need to find another lower unit. guess its not worth fixing for the price of a used one they say. so now im on the hunt. Man I just wanna go fishing lol

Comment

Originally posted by One2Many View Post
          funny how I didn't notice a cylinder down. it seemed to run and idle smooth. live and learn.
          got more bad news today. seems I need to find another lower unit. guess its not worth fixing for the price of a used one they say. so now im on the hunt. Man I just wanna go fishing lol
          Call Seaway Marine in Lynnwood. Make sure you have the Serial # and model of the 90hp. I’ll bet they have one for you. Only open M-F though.
          Glas-Hawk
          Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
          2002 10ft w/15hp Merc 4 stroke - Glas-Hawk2
          1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
          Previous Affairs
          1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
          1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
          1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
          1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc
          1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)

Comment

Originally posted by One2Many View Post
            It just sounded too much like a cylinder being down. What kind of power are you looking to go with now? I'll keep my eyes open.

Comment

Little update.....Got all four cylinders to fire. put on a used lower unit. Boat is now running at a max 34mph. and runs more consistently at 4200-4400rpm. at one time I saw 4800rpm. at times you can hear the rpms fluctuate 200RPM+-. my guess is a planning issue? boat just feels heavy to me. I do have a stingray hydrofoil stabilizer I might try. or do you all think maybe a prop still? good news is im back on the water.

Comment

That is good to hear.

Comment

Glad to hear you are out on the water. RPM fluctuation could be electrical or carb jets being dirty. Could also be change in boat attitude/trim while underway. The prop may be slipping. Are you seeing the RPM fluctuate on a tach or is it just a guess as to what you hear.You are making great progress.
                  The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

I can see it on the tach also. Can hear it even can feel it. And it's only at WOT. Which makes me believe it still has more to give. Now how to get it

Comment

One2
                      May be cavitation. Does the wake behind the propellor change when the rev’s increase? Does it throw up a rooster tale?
                      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Working...
                      X