Stainless steel prop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel prop

I repowered my 18 ft glasply lancer with a 2002 Suzuki DT 115 it had an extra 4 blade stainless steel prop so I put it on. What is advantage disadvantage of 4 blade? . I don't know the pitch . My three blade prop is 18 pitch. Thanks

4 blade should give you more 'bite' in the water and get on plane quicker. Maybe less top speed depending on the diameter and pitch. Stainless blades are stronger and less prone to flexing than aluminum. Run both of them with consistent water and boat conditions and record your performance at various RPM/Speed. The pitch may be stamped on the hub or the collar of the prop.
    The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

If the diameter is close +/-.25 you will see roughly 100rpm drop give or take with the same pitch in a 4 blade. They have more resistance in the water which is why they don't spin as fast. As Socal stated they have less slip (more Bite) in the water which is a + in choppier conditions and sharp turns. It is said they aren't as efficient as 3 blades due to more drag but I would guess an average boater wouldn't notice the difference. I will tell you that design does make a difference in what props will do for the boats attitude. I came out of my conversion with a Cyclone 4 blade and had bow steer at higher speeds that would make you not want to go that fast. I switch to a RX4 4 blade and the bow steer was gone. Nothing to the boat changed other than the prop. Good luck with your choice there is a trial and error in this process for sure.

Comment

I need to cut off my prop as it's seized!!! It's a 15x17 aluminum 3 blade, at wide open I am running about 4,600rpm. Boat is 23' with 350 GM Edelbrock performer intake and 650 Edelbrock carb. Boat is on plane in seconds with pushing the go handle to the point of being up against the secondaries. I am REALLY amazed at how easily it's on plane. Any suggestions on prop? It's a Volvo 280 outdrive, not a duo prop.

Thanks!

Comment

The Prop Shop has a good site and are helpful. www.propshopinc.com
          Boat=Bust out another thousand
          1973 19' Glasply HT 140 Mercruiser- procrastinating ongoing rebuild
          1985 2200 Glasply HT Marauder 5 L

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
            I need to cut off my prop as it's seized!!! It's a 15x17 aluminum 3 blade, at wide open I am running about 4,600rpm. Boat is 23' with 350 GM Edelbrock performer intake and 650 Edelbrock carb. Boat is on plane in seconds with pushing the go handle to the point of being up against the secondaries. I am REALLY amazed at how easily it's on plane. Any suggestions on prop? It's a Volvo 280 outdrive, not a duo prop.

Thanks!

same one you are running
            1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Do you think SS is worth the extra $$$ or just stick with the 15x17 aluminum?

Comment

Originally posted by jbs View Post
                The Prop Shop has a good site and are helpful. www.propshopinc.com
                I actually built the PropShop's space for them I would guess 15 years ago or so. Dang I forgot the owners name, GREAT guy to work with!!!

On Edit, his name is Rick. Anyone know if he is still around?

Comment

if you are happy with the performance stick with it
                  1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

We tried a stainless (15x17) on our 23', didn't really like it, didn't seem to perform as well, both RPM and getting on step also if you hit something hard(rock) not so good on the lower unit where an aluminum prop may absorb some of the impact and easier to repair. Although, if you're running mainly on mud/sand bottoms, stainless is good. We ended up staying with a 15 1/2 by 15 cup to maintain recommended rpms. Just another opinion.
                    Last edited by weigh2go; 08-09-2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I have an aluminum 14x17 and 14x19. Let me know if you would like me to bring them along to the rendezvous.
                      1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
                      1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
                      8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

I think I should stick to 15", thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
                          I think I should stick to 15", thanks.
                          I went to a 16x16 on my last prop when I was still running the 350 mercruiser loved it. I still have it. It was new last summer and maybe has 100 hours on it. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                            I went to a 16x16 on my last prop when I was still running the 350 mercruiser loved it. I still have it. It was new last summer and maybe has 100 hours on it. Let me know.
                            Sounds like a good prop.....
                            1982 2580 "HI-BOY " IN 2 DEEP 5.7LX ALPHA

Comment

Working...
                            X