'84 20 ft cuddy, OMC 3.8 v6 dead motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '84 20 ft cuddy, OMC 3.8 v6 dead motor

New to me, beautiful boat, $2000 "invested". '84 20 ft Cuddy, OMC 800 Stringer Chev 3.8 (229 ci) V6. Structure, Fiberglass and fittings look great. Interior needs refurbishing, but not horrible. Good trailer. Engine froze/toast. Think engine parts all sound and could be transferred to good block.

Advice on what to do and how to do it needed. Remaned 80-84 Block ($1000-$2000)? Used 80-84 engine? Later engine and adapt to OMC 800? OMC Cobra/ later engine? Part out boat and sell trailer (ouch, hard to say it)? Conversion to OB really not in my $ or time budget given transom rebuild and cost of a reliable 100+ hp OB. DIY semi retired, with space, tools and decent mechanical abilities. Nube boat owner.

Looking at 100 hrs/yr or so engine time, Fresh water, Col River, PSound/BC inland cruising fishing, no watersports. Yea, this definitely does not "pencil". Well, its a boat.
    "84 Glasply 20' Project

really tough decision, can you post pics of the boat
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

really should pull the drive and glass in the hole, and wait for a merc drive and engine to come up
      1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

If everything else from the motor and drive are good the cheapest and easiest option would probably be a short or long block rebuild. Might be possible to switch to a 4.3. In the end you probably are throwing good money into a bad motor/drive combo.
        Last edited by nova7163; 08-13-2018, 10:45 PM.
        1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
        1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
        8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	84 Glasply.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	54371
          Thanks noluck and nova7163. Pic of the boat. Chance freeze also broke something(s) in the outdrive. It turns and shifts great, water pump works great, no external damage. But water getting in lower and upper unit after very brief run in a tank to test outdrive water pump. Volume and pressure of water out of the Intermediate fitting that goes to the motor good at motor idle. ??Normal for outdrive to spew out water around where it hinges down against the Intermediate??

I am running the motor briefly, drive in test tank, no water to motor, to test outdrive. Motor starts and runs flawlessly. Academic given cooling water pours into crankcase.

Pretty sure I would be throwing $$ into a bad combo, but still hoping I can repair the outdrive and "just" get a working motor. Can get a rebuilt long block for around $1600. I can do the install. Makes for a pretty pricy '84 OMC powered boat before unknown costs of outdrive repair.

If I am looking at motor and significant outdrive costs, well, may have to cut my losses.

Next step, I guess, is to dismantle the outdrive and try to figure out what problems are. Motor and drive have less than 200 hrs on them. Too bad PO didn't winterize, to put it mildly.

Have not ruled out redo of transom and conversion to Merc. Likely outside my willingness to "invest" but would appreciate input on "low cost" option to repower.

Advice??
          "84 Glasply 20' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Farmer View Post
            Normal for outdrive to spew out water around where it hinges down against the Intermediate??
            That is normal for a Mercruiser outdrive. Raw water/exhaust will come out the center of the prop, but also "spew," as you put it, out around the area it hinges. Look on YouTube for a video of one running on a hose and you can compare what you see on yours.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjiYlNYmQi8

The only real concern I am aware of on a Mercruiser outdrive (Alpha series) as far as winterization is concerned is if it is stored in the raised position and water gets into the prop area. It can accumulate in the bulb and freeze, cracking the lower unit.

Now that you have run it, pull the lower unit oil drain plug out and let a little gear oil dribble out and inspect it. It should be, I think, tinted a blue/green color, but should certainly be clear. That is, not like a milkshake. That should tell you if water it getting into the gear oil or not. If not, it sounds like you may be golden.
            -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
            1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
            1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Comment

Thanks Binford re "spewing" water. Unfortunately I do have "milkshake" oil in both lower and upper units after running briefly with good oil. BTW, I currently have OMC 800 Stringer v6. Your reply was about Mercruiser outdrives, but I now see from youtube that same "spewing" applies to Stringers. I continue to evaluate options from scrapping to conversion to Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II. Thanks.
              "84 Glasply 20' Project

Comment

This winter I will most likely be doing a outboard conversion to my 24' which has a OMC stringer (not sure which model) with the 230hp GM 305 V8. Is all original equipment to the boat which is an 85 model year and has less than 300 hours. It is going to be ran and fished for the fall seasons and pulled and sold complete. I'm not going to be looking for a ton of money for the package. Might be an option if you have room for the V8 in your doghouse.

Comment

Will take some measurements. Quite a bit of room in there, but maybe not nuf for a V8. Ideally, I would repower to a Merc, but I suspect the transom rebuild cost is going to be more than I can justify. So, if I can get an OMC package for not too much $$ that is mostly a drop in, that might be a good option. Thanks for the reply/info. This forum is great.

BTW, converting to OB because - - -- - ??
                  "84 Glasply 20' Project

Comment

fixing any part of the omc is not spending money wisely

Comment

Originally posted by noluck View Post
                      fixing any part of the omc is not spending money wisely
                      seeing that advice a whole lot in my research. Maybe I need to simply cut my losses and look for a bit newer boat with Merc Alpha gen II or maybe outboard. Hard to take a loss, but sometimes you're better folding the holding or raising. I do like this old Glasply, but - - . Still willing to consider a transom rebuild and conversion to Merc, finding cost effective means seems a long shot.
                      "84 Glasply 20' Project

Comment

Will take some measurements. Quite a bit of room in there, but maybe not nuf for a V8. Ideally, I would repower to a Merc, but I suspect the transom rebuild cost is going to be more than I can justify. So, if I can get an OMC package for not too much $$ that is mostly a drop in, that might be a good option. Thanks for the reply/info. This forum is great.

BTW, converting to OB because - - -- - ??
                        My primary reasons for doing the conversion is the ability to fish through the winter without winterizing or having to store in a heated building, the extra space gained in the cockpit by getting rid of the doghouse, the reliability and efficiency of a modern 4 stroke outboard. In addition to that the cost and availability of OMC parts when something happens was the final push that direction. No having any issues right now, but it's a boat, eventually there will be issues to fix.

Comment

Thanks all. Continuing to explore options as time permits. Bought a 1990 19' Larson Mercruiser Alpha 1 "gen 1" 4.3L v6 that appears to be sound mechanically and otherwise. Was represented to be a '91 Gen 2, but after driving 4hrs one way to check it out, well not that. Seller was highly motivated, bad starter so could not run it. Price was low so boat in tow. May use the parts to repower Glasply or clean up and sell.

Have not yet dismantled Stringer to see if froze and broke. I have found three rebuildable 3.8L blocks so using the good parts of my cracked 3.8 and staying stock is certainly an option. Costing out block and head work, new pistons and the rest seems to get me not too much below what I can get a long block with warrantee for ($1500 +/-) for. And I would avoid many hours of labor and risks that my heads are not useable. Pretty sure I know what noluck would advise here!! After some research, I am less fearful of transom redo than earlier, but that will cost some significant $$ and/or time.

Best news: have appointment with a Glasply Expert to look at my boat(s)!!.
                          "84 Glasply 20' Project

Comment

Glasply expert visit was great. Of course he did not have magic wand to solve my "challenges". Should get new starter on the '90 Mercruiser Alpha 1 4.3 V6 "maybe doner" and find out if that addition to the fleet was a bargain or a bust next week or so. Interesting how many cracked blocks/manifolds/etc are out there in the older boat world. And the range of prices (and conditions) of parts to patch up the old OMC for a few years or so, maybe, of life.

would appreciate recommendations on places PNW that would glass in my transom for conversion to Merccruiser OB. Not adverse to taking to Puget Sound Area.

"84 Glasply 20' Project

Comment

...would appreciate recommendations on places PNW that would glass in my transom for conversion to Merccruiser OB. Not adverse to taking to Puget Sound Area.
                              OB OutBoard?? or Outdrive (OD) didn't think you were going to "pod" this boat, but maybe you changed your mind??.

Comment

Working...
                              X