• Click image for larger version

Name:	96A52FD0-D793-455A-8978-8982F788EDC8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	53840

Old and new... just reshaped old teak spacer

Comment

• That looks super sharp! Nice work
      I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me....

Comment

• Thanks, redoing all the exterior teak with epifanes spar varnish. There's not much on the exterior of this boat so I picked spar varnish over oil with the idea that I'd rather just remove it all every 4-5 years for a light sand/refinish than try to stay on top of oiling.

Hadn't planned on swapping the lights but the bulb holders were in bad shape and it didn't take much to push me to get LED nav lights.

Comment

• Ok, now I have to replace ours... where did you get those???

Comment

• Originally posted by weigh2go View Post
            Ok, now I have to replace ours... where did you get those???
            Do yours look the same as mine? A perko 71 I think. These just barely fit width wise but I'm very happy with the fit as far as keeping the factory spot without extra holes:

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-2-Mil...ds=attwood+led

Just make sure you get the 2 mile version, for whatever reason the 1 mile get poor reviews.

Comment

• I just read this entire thread, it was like watching a movie...very inspirational Mike! Looks really good.
              1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy w/ a 470 (Cinbad)
              1994 Hewescraft 16-1/2 foot Searunner w/ 75hp Mercury Ob
              1980 Danica 16 full keel sailboat (Loki)

Comment

• Yes, mine is exactly the same. I just ordered both from your link, thank you. Did you make the mounting (the wood underneath it) ???

Comment

• I took the original wood mounting block pictured on the left, drew some contour lines and then gave it a few minutes on the belt sander. Blended it by hand with sand paper and now the pair are waiting on some varnish to be delivered by brown santa.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarperMA10 View Post
                    I just read this entire thread, it was like watching a movie...very inspirational Mike! Looks really good.
                    Thanks, hopefully I can finish making the movie by spring! If you liked this movie there are quite a number of good titles of rebuilds on the forum, ha.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	59F95BBB-DFF4-42AA-83A3-B76708AD145F.jpg
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	53845
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	85C91601-D1A3-41F3-8D39-E97990C1DA92.jpg
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	53846

Name:	F2460D27-1815-482B-A0EB-D7CE8436A7FE.jpg
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	53847
                      New hatch-a Vetus with 3/8 acrylic for an 18.5” cutout. Had to cut a bigger hole because I couldn’t find a 17” square hatch and wasn’t going to put new acrylic in a crappy plastic original hatch. Turns out I could have put any size hatch I wanted since it’s a balsa core deck-which luckily looks nice and dry at least here. Interesting that there is the exterior fiberglass, then a thick layer of balsa followed by a thin layer of fiberglass, then another layer of balsa, and finally the inner layer of fiberglass. Must be for strength and explains why the deck feels so solid.

Comment

• Looks awesome! Interesting set up where the anchor feeds to the pulpit, some PVC? Is that to hold a cover since I don't see an anchor? Also, we've had lots of conversations over the years of why some of the late model LC's are lighter and sit a little higher out of the water than some of the pre 80's. I think we've decided the deck/bridge super structure's on the later models are balsa core and you basically confirmed it.

Comment

• My fly bridge deck is balsa core as well... I've never been afraid to make holes in the name of progress! I get the idea it's strong and light when dry but a nightmare if wetted...

Correct on the pvc, all of my "tent" poles connect to rails or cleats with slotted pvc tees. Didn't want to risk chafe on gelcoat.

Comment

• Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post
                            My fly bridge deck is balsa core as well... I've never been afraid to make holes in the name of progress! I get the idea it's strong and light when dry but a nightmare if wetted...

Correct on the pvc, all of my "tent" poles connect to rails or cleats with slotted pvc tees. Didn't want to risk chafe on gelcoat.
                            That's a brilliant idea, I was wondering how to do the same. So if you just "slot" the pvc T it will spread enough to go around the cleat/railing?

Comment

• I think I cut about 1/2" out? It was eyeball cutting on the band saw to make them a light snap fit over the rails.

Comment

• This kind of “wiring” drives me nuts:Click image for larger version

Name:	5F4F795B-B38A-44A9-9E0D-765CCC632457.jpg
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	53859
                                Yes that is a butt connector immediately next to an end.

Safety updgrade, had 2 antennas that were both busted so that’s getting fixed as well. Eventually getting a remote mic for the radio for the upper helm.

Name:	91565392-2C13-451C-AE84-3DF3770E3C7A.jpg
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	53860

Comment

Working...
                                X