• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	3C345836-2A48-4BC0-B3B7-62F6934F9BDB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	53701
    Any suggestions for the correct support for these mufflers? I hate the sloppy wood...

Maybe something like this bolted to the stringer with an aluminum or stainless bracket?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-S....c100005.m1851

Edit:
    This might be better:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#64875k61/=1a5qujz
    Last edited by theremikegoes; 11-07-2017, 07:52 PM. Reason: Rotated Picture

Comment

• Why not copy the wood brks. using stainless, It would sure look great.

Comment

• The wood has some give that probably needs to stay available. A stainless strap screwed down to the stringer and then clamped to the muffler would be EASY though.

Comment

• Bronze pipes going into mufflers will need a compatible metal strap or support to eliminate/reduce electrolysis. A metal saddle shaped like an open oarlock and drilled and glassed into the top of the stringer would work. I don't see a need for a vertical tie down strap.
          The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Socal View Post
            Bronze pipes going into mufflers will need a compatible metal strap or support to eliminate/reduce electrolysis. A metal saddle shaped like an open oarlock and drilled and glassed into the top of the stringer would work. I don't see a need for a vertical tie down strap.
            Bet you those are fiberglass pipes.
            "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill V View Post
              Bet you those are fiberglass pipes.
              Yup. All fiberglass including mufflers.

Had not occurred to me to glass something in... so is there no need to allow them to move? If they don't need to be allowed to wiggle then I can come up with something more simple.

Comment

• no need to wiggle, that is what the couplers are for
                1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

• Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post
                  I'm too nit picky... plus I want to put it in the water and leave it there so I started the bottom work in earnest. It wont go in the water until spring-planning on getting a slip downtown.
                  Sorry, what'd I miss here....? Getting a slip downtown? I thought you were planning on trailering this beast.
                  -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                  1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                  1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Binford View Post
                    Sorry, what'd I miss here....? Getting a slip downtown? I thought you were planning on trailering this beast.
                    haha, we'll see how easy it is to launch/retrieve but I'm thinking of leaving it moored half of the year for convenience either downtown or at Suldans. How many boat dollars I spend between now and then will factor as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by noluck View Post
                      no need to wiggle, that is what the couplers are for
                      Well then, much simpler fab task now...

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	B1A686EC-81A4-4BFA-81C6-C7CF729FFD18.jpg
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	53744

Technically not boat progress, but these will make using the bottle jacks on the keel a little less sketchy walking the boat off the trailer.
                        Last edited by nova7163; 11-24-2017, 08:00 PM. Reason: Rotated picture

Comment

• Making progress on firewall wiring and battery mounting. Made a new tow for the battery tray that doubles as a seat/step.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	12D6B00C-7D75-43F9-964A-3E78620874AC.jpg
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	53762

Click image for larger version

Name:	C7C6FF1B-78DD-4DA2-8400-B8A2960B237D.jpg
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	53763
                          Last edited by nova7163; 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM. Reason: Rotated picture

Comment

• Got some good news from an interlux rep. For gelcoat only blisters(not sure this is the right word for what they are anymore), he recommended opening up the cracks and coating with 2000E, then fairing with watertite as needed, followed by 2000E. This is good news as I had previously thought I needed to resin seal before fairing with watertite, and then I'd have to deal with the blush of resin before fairing. The 2000E just needs appropriate dry time and a quick scuff.

Comment

• what is the 2000E
                              1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

• Originally posted by noluck View Post
                                what is the 2000E
                                Interlux interprotect 2000e-barrier paint

Comment

Working...
                                X