Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Don't ask me how I know this....

Maybe someone didn't like flexing.

Funny thing is I just got some aluminum to replace wood engine mount shims. Turns out I had plenty already!

Make sure the trailer tongue is fully seated on the hitch ball.

I had to buy a trailer to replace the original rotted on on the GPL 2100SL. Living in California at the time. Bought a dual axle bunk trailer for $600. Nice deal. Not fancy but solid. Redid the trailer brakes. Hooked it up in California and drove to Whidbey Island to pick up the boat. Launched the boat with my dad's vehicle then backed the new (old) trailer (straight from CA) down the ramp and loaded the boat. Half way thru the load the trailer came off the hitch.....

Drove all the way up from CA to Whidbey with the trailer sitting....SITTING....on the hitch ball. Made me pucker....

That story does have a high pucker factor. Glad you got out of The Golden State without spearing any of Mr. Smee’s and my neighbors.
    "To steal ideas from someone is plagerism, to steal from many is called research"
    1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" bracing for winter as nighttime temperatures drop into the 50ís. All but the heartiest SUP paddlers are gone.

This summer when getting used to launch and loading techniques with our new to us boat "REEL FAST" I had pulled up to staging after loading area to strap the boat down to the trailer. Walking back I heard a nice sounding engine running turned the corner and saw the outdrive down with the prop turning. I launched my self into the boat and shut it down. Don't think I will do that again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
    This summer when getting used to launch and loading techniques with our new to us boat "REEL FAST" I had pulled up to staging after loading area to strap the boat down to the trailer. Walking back I heard a nice sounding engine running turned the corner and saw the outdrive down with the prop turning. I launched my self into the boat and shut it down. Don't think I will do that again!!!
    Oh, now THAT is pure gold there! That's just hysterical! Thanks for sharing!
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy w/ a fresh Mercruiser 470 (Chopstick)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy, soon to be with kf7gth (Chopstick II)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1986 Glasply 8-1/2 foot dinghy (presently unpowered & unnamed) SOLD!
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout w/ Mercruiser 470 (Beer Goggles)

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

Some great stories coming out. My iPhone weather station shows temperatures ranging from 16 in Fairbanks, 23 in Eastern Oregon, 25 in Salt Lake City, 37 in Whatcom county, 36 in King County. Let's see more stories that you can recall as you sit dry and warm around the fireplace dreaming of boating yet to do.
    "To steal ideas from someone is plagerism, to steal from many is called research"
    1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" bracing for winter as nighttime temperatures drop into the 50ís. All but the heartiest SUP paddlers are gone.

When boating in the reservoirs around Northern California (Lake Don Pedro, New Hogan, Shasta, etc) the launch ramps are really long to accomodate the greatly fluctuating water levels and in some cases 6 or 8 lanes wide. You can always tell a newby....they back their boat all the way down the ramp, which takes a while, where the experienced just drive down the launch ramp, make a u-turn, and back the boat in to the launch lane they have picked on their way down the ramp.

Launch ramp stories are great fun. As are Chittenden Lock stories. It's always very interesting to show up at the locks on Sunday afternoon...

Went thru the locks one afternoon on a big crab boat, probably as big as the small locks would allow. The Captain had to use nearly full throttle to get the boat into the locks as the boat had to push nearly all the water out...someday I want a boat that big...