Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HIN Compliance

I didn't have to do any of that. Just went down and renewed them. Newer models must be in compliance with their requirements.
    Boat=Bust out another thousand
    1973 19' Glasply HT 140 Mercruiser- procrastinating ongoing rebuild
    1985 2200 Glasply HT Marauder 5 L

Any thing make from 1984 on is in compliance.

so is our 1976 apparently. lol

Even a lot of the pre-84 HINs are compliant. Cardinal's HIN had a 13th digit. Compliance requires they be 12 digits. Unknown if the aluminum-rubrail-stamped mid-ish 70s HINs that did not include the MIC (Manufacturer Identification Code, i.e., GPL at the head of the HIN) are required to be "compliant" as they were probably issued before the current 12-digit HIN requirement was established.
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy w/ a fresh Mercruiser 470 (Chopstick)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy, soon to be with kf7gth (Chopstick II)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1986 Glasply 8-1/2 foot dinghy (presently unpowered & unnamed) SOLD!
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout w/ Mercruiser 470 (Beer Goggles)

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

THIS IS GOING TO MAKE A MESS OF THE REGISTRY!!!! ADD A COLUMN FOR COMPLIANCY, AND ANOTHER FOR NEW NUMBER? NO THANKS I'M OUT OF PAPER.
    "To steal ideas from someone is plagerism, to steal from many is called research"
    1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" bracing for winter as nighttime temperatures drop into the 40ís. All but the most hearty SUP paddlers are gone.

I found a way out of this!

We don't need to get new WNZ state-issued HINs afterall.

I went to the DOL website to renew the licensing for JV Junior and Chopstick and realized both of them have a -x or -xx number at the end of the HIN. Chopstick's registration went through via the online renewal. When it was titled, they simply ignored the -xx numbers at the end! But JV Junior's flagged me that I needed to go to the DOL and get a new HIN.

I took a picture of the HIN on JV Junior and brought the current registration (NOT the title, mind you) to the County Auditor's office. I told her my other boat has the same suffix numbers at the end of the HIN, but that it wasn't added to the title/registration. She had me e-mail her the picture to print out and send to Olympia. She then renewed my registration and told me there would be a new title issued with the suffix numbers dropped from it.

Clean and simple. No fuss.

Too bad I hadn't tried that before I renewed Cardinal's registration. I got a new HIN I have to put on for that one. Still working on that mess. Oh well.

So the Kitsap County Auditor's office simply dropped the -10 suffix (or whatever number[s] you have at the end of the HIN) and that was acceptable. Bring a copy of the picture for them to attach to their paperwork going to Olympia, along with at least your registration, if not your title. Don't accept any argument from the DOL agency reps to the contrary. Take it to another until you find one that understands they can do this.

Good luck!
    -- Tim Taylor

Like Tim I went to the DOL expecting a new HIN. I had my title and the WN numbers with me. I gave the gal the WN numbers and it went through with no problems. I questioned it and she said there were no red flags. When I got home I looked at the registration number on the title and there was no -number. Easy.

Okay, so with three (3) Glasplys in running condition, I'm getting pretty experienced with this GPL "non-compliant" HIN business.

I printed pictures of all three HINs and paperclipped together the associated registration forms for each of them. Two were handled by merely dropping the suffix "-x" or "-xx" from the end of the HIN, but Cardinal was issued a new "WNZ" HIN. So I showed them to the clerk at the Kitsap County Auditor's office and asked why I had to change Cardinal's HIN when the other boats just had the suffix dropped, and could I "undo" the new "WNZ" HIN on Cardinal back to the original, less suffix like the others?

"No, once it's done it's done," she told me. Then immediately she thought about it and said, "But I could call Olympia if you'd like." I did like.

So after 10 minutes (at least) of sitting on hold, she spoke with someone there and got it done! Cardinal was re-issued her original factory HIN less the suffix!

Socal, the Glasply Registry is SAVED!!!!

The 12-digit Glasply HINs that begin with the 3-letter manufacturer's code, depending on which era your model was built, is all you need for the compliance. If the DOL previously included on your paperwork the suffix (anything following the "-" after the 12th digit), you merely need to have them correct the registration and title paperwork to drop the suffix and you're golden. No fees. If you are hassled about it or told you can't do that, thank them and go to another agency, or directly to your county auditor's office.
    -- Tim Taylor

You get the ATTA BOY award. Fairly typical bureaucratic response 'when it's done it's done'. Good for you for persisting - the registry will survive!
    "To steal ideas from someone is plagerism, to steal from many is called research"
    1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" bracing for winter as nighttime temperatures drop into the 40ís. All but the most hearty SUP paddlers are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    The 12-digit Glasply HINs that begin with the 3-letter manufacturer's code, depending on which era your model was built, is all you need for the compliance.
    I tried that at the local county auditor's office but even though I have a 12 digit HIN and is shown as that on my title, They insisted that the zero in my HIN could be considered a capital "O". They said if I would bring them a picture of my HIN they might reconsider it. Since I now have a transom door where the HIN originally resided I gave up and accepted the new WNZ HIN.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.